Congrats to the American Women- They regained 3 spots for the USA Worlds in Boston next year!

Vagabond

If Bradie comes back along with Alysa there could be about 6 skaters who could make the podium at Nationals next year. Isabeau, Amber, Alysa, Bradie, Ava and Lindsay and dark horses like Sarah Everhardt and talented Juniors like Elyce Lin-Gracey.
There's a thread in GSD on the subject of whether there will be a U.S. Nationals next year. Darned right there will be!

Even if Isabeau, Amber, Alysa, Ava Marie, and the lot have to haul themselves over to Tallinn. :p

Jayar

If Bradie comes back along with Alysa there could be about 6 skaters who could make the podium at Nationals next year. Isabeau, Amber, Alysa, Bradie, Ava and Lindsay and dark horses like Sarah Everhardt and talented Juniors like Elyce Lin-Gracey.
Are you forgetting the current US silver medalist ?

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
The Washington Post's article on the women's freeskate and Isabeau:

How soon Carpenter forgets about Alysa Liu winning bronze just 2 short years ago...

A few minutes later, her silver medal was confirmed, making her the first U.S. woman to medal at worlds since 2016, when Ashley Wagner also earned silver.

zee703

It's true re: the Washington Post and its lack of interest in fs. Ilia lives in Vienna, a suburb of DC and they barely mention his achievements (too obsessed with the awful football team and a few other sports).

shuilee

Does anyone know the rules for Qualifying Round in 2025 Worlds?

If Alysa Liu and Ava Marie Ziegler make the 2025 World Team, are they forced to skate in the Qualifying Round?

Who is exempt from competing in Qualifying Round? Anyone that made the FS in 2024 Worlds?

Karen-W

Does anyone know the rules for Qualifying Round in 2025 Worlds?

If Alysa Liu and Ava Marie Ziegler make the 2025 World Team, are they forced to skate in the Qualifying Round?

Who is exempt from competing in Qualifying Round? Anyone that made the FS in 2024 Worlds?
The USA has qualified 3 Direct Entries and none of our Women will have to skate in the QR in Boston.

shuilee

The USA has qualified 3 Direct Entries and none of our Women will have to skate in the QR in Boston.

Thanks. Do you or anyone else know the specific rules on who will need to skate in the QR?

Has ISU released the rules yet?

Karen-W

Thanks. Do you or anyone else know the specific rules on who will need to skate in the QR?

Has ISU released the rules yet?
They're available here - https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file - Rule 378 covers entries for ISU Championships and the whole new section about Worlds DEs and the QR starts on pg 27.

All the countries who earned multiple spots plus all those that made the FS for the Women have earned Direct Entries for next year. It's highly complicated and cumbersome, IMO.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
They're available here - https://isu.org/figure-skating/rules/fsk-regulations-rules/file - Rule 378 covers entries for ISU Championships and the whole new section about Worlds DEs and the QR starts on pg 27.

All the countries who earned multiple spots plus all those that made the FS for the Women have earned Direct Entries for next year. It's highly complicated and cumbersome, IMO.
I'm glad you had a real answer because I was going to say "just imagine the most inane and bizarre rules you can and it's probably pretty close"

Karen-W

I'm glad you had a real answer because I was going to say "just imagine the most inane and bizarre rules you can and it's probably pretty close"
Sounds about right!

It gets even worse when the # of multiple entries exceeds the # of DEs for any discipline. Pairs has 19 multiple entries qualified based on this year's results (CAN, JPN & GER - 3 each = 9; HUN, ITA, GEO, AUS, USA - 2 each = 10) but the rules say 16 Direct Entries for Pairs. Except that the # of DEs is increased to allow all countries with multiple entries earned their spots and then the # of teams that advance from the QR to the Championship Round SP is reduced by the same amount. Theoretically, if all 19 DE spots are used then there will only be 5 teams (total of 24 in the SP) advancing from the QR. Or, conversely, if JPN only uses 2 spots and HUN, GEO & AUS only use 1, then there would be 9 teams that advance from the QR to the CR SP. And, THEN (God, this is sooooo dumb), if there are only 10-11 teams that need to qualify from the QR to the SP but 9 teams will advance then the Event Referee can cancel the QR and just have all 25-26 teams compete in the SP. Like, really... what is the point?????

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
How soon Carpenter forgets about Alysa Liu winning bronze just 2 short years ago...
And, apparently, never learned that a second place finish does not guarantee three spots unless the silver medalist is the only skater from that country in the competition.

Re: which skater gets Direct Entries, itā€™s whoever the national federation sends, like all championships and Olympics, aside from the never?-used option by the ISU to add skaters at their discretion. Only GPā€™s are skater-specific, with some not-enforced language about the skaters who are ā€œobligatedā€ to be sent to WTT based on performance at Worlds.

Karen-W

And, apparently, never learned that a second place finish does not guarantee three spots unless the silver medalist is the only skater from that country in the competition.
I caught that too but figured it wasn't worth the time I'd waste snarking over it.
Re: which skater gets Direct Entries, itā€™s whoever the national federation sends, like all championships and Olympics, aside from the never?-used option by the ISU to add skaters at their discretion. Only GPā€™s are skater-specific, with some not-enforced language about the skaters who are ā€œobligatedā€ to be sent to WTT based on performance at Worlds.
Skaters still need to have the TES mins, whatever they wind up being next season, to compete at any ISU Championship (and the Olympics).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Skaters still need to have the TES mins, whatever they wind up being next season, to compete at any ISU Championship (and the Olympics).
Definitely. I should have written ā€œamong the eligible,ā€ because that covers minimums, ages, releases/nationality, etc.

zigzig

Wrong thread - should we have a separate thread in GSD for Worlds qualifying next year?
Yes please. I haven't followed this news at all and am curious why they're bringing qualifying rounds back since I thought the TES minimums were supposed to eliminate them and keep the events shorter, and if they're still keeping TES mins, what's the motivation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information