Computer Help question

BaileyCatts

I can't find the old computer help thread. Anyway, I wanted to check my IP address of my computer, so I just googled 'what is my ip address' like always and it comes up, but now I get a crazy long string that looks like this: (note, I made up the #'s but the pattern is the same!): 1234:a567:dfc8:aa:1234:5d67:d89b:12b3

Shouldn't my ip address look like this: 12.34.567.890

What's with the crazy long number?

MacMadame

Doing all the things
1234:a567:dfc8:aa:1234:5d67:d89b:12b3
FYI that looks like a MAC address. (Not Mac the computer made by Apple, but MAC that stands for Media Access Controller) It's the address of your computer's network interface. And not anything you would normally need to know.

BaileyCatts

Another dumb question... .and I'm tech stupid so I don't even know what I'm asking. :shuffle:

I have a Dell Desktop with Windows (I think 7?) Anyway, isn't there some link on the Control Panel you can check to see what kind of programs that are running in the background and like turn them off or delete them or something? All of a sudden my computer is running very slow (and slowing down my Facebook games which is my primary use of my computer. :D ). I keep getting this box popping up from sport.tv (which was from watching Worlds) saying its running or updating or something like that and since I don't need that anymore, can I like ... .turn it off or make it stop running or delete it? I don't even know if that's the problem but that box from sport.tv keeps popping up and I can't do anything but click on the X to close the box.

I did already try Clear Browsing History (several times) and that's not helping. Can anyone figure out my stupid talk and decipher what I am trying to do? :slinkaway

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Good instructions, @MacMadame. Part of the problem could also be how many programs are running during startup. This can also slow down your PC or laptop.

To find out how many programs are running during startup, right-click on the taskbar located at the bottom of your desktop. Then select "Task Manager". Once the window is opened, click on the tab at the top called "Startup". That will show you how many programs are running during startup. I have three programs enabled, and that is the Java Update Scheduler, Intel Turbo Boost, and Windows Security notifications.

Here's an article that I've used before to determine which programs can be disabled during Startup. You may also have to use System Configuration, and the article also gives instructions on how to do that.

Make Windows Start Faster: 10 non-essential startup items you can safely remove

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I have a new computer to replace my defective one. I have lots of thumb drives but I don't know how to put my programs on a thumb drive in order to transfer them to the new computer.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I found this doing my favorite thing … doing a Google search. lol!

How to Copy a Program to a USB Flash Drive
  1. Click on the "Finder" located in the toolbar.
  2. Select your USB flash drive from the "Finder" window.
  3. Click "File" and select "New Finder Window" to open another "Finder" window.
  4. Browse through your computer files using this new "Finder" window and select the file for the program you want to copy to a USB drive.

I guess it means after you've inserted your thumbdrive, click on the little arrow on the taskbar to show the hidden icons.

BaileyCatts

Another dumb question ..... I keep getting a message that pops up on my computer that says "Flash Player will no longer be supported after December 2020". Sssooo...... what does that mean? Other than reading a few boards like FSU and watching some skating comps, pretty much all I do is play games on Facebook. And don't you need Flash Player in order to play the games on Facebook or run any kind of video streams?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Flash is pretty much dead. IceNetwork ran on Flash, but that’s gone, thank goodness. Anything worthwhile is migrated to newer technologies. Believe me, you won’t miss it.

Debbie S

Flash is pretty much dead. IceNetwork ran on Flash, but that’s gone, thank goodness. Anything worthwhile is migrated to newer technologies. Believe me, you won’t miss it.
Some vids/programs still use it. When I first got my computer, I got a message that I needed it when I tried to play something or load a site, I can't remember, so I downloaded it. I just downloaded it on my mom's new computer b/c I knew it would only be a matter of time before she called me to complain she couldn't watch or see something.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Adobe is killing Flash which means it won't be updated or downloadable anymore after 2020. Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome and Safari have been blocking Flash for a while but you can currently change your settings to use Flash if you need too. Most Facebook stuff won't be using Flash anymore, video streams I'm less sure on but I've never changed my settings to use Flash and I've never had a problem running skating streams.

BaileyCatts

Digging up the 3 year old Computer Help thread cause I'm tech stoopid .... and generally stoopid as well. :shuffle:

My current computer has Windows 7 on it. I never did do that update thing you were supposed to do like a year ago. "I'll do it later" will be my tombstone. :shuffle: I used to get a pop up box that kept telling me to do it, and now I don't get that anymore. Am I screwed now or can I still update to whatever it was they told you to do? I am trying to load that Opera browser so I can watch the ISU stream for GPs on Saturday's because I don't like watching skating with 'no commentary' so when I am home, I would rather watch the ISU stream versus Peacock's 'no commentary'. But it won't download and I am wondering if its because I still have Windows 7. It keeps telling me 'virus scan failed'.

At this point, should I just buy a new computer?

But what is the best place to save your pictures that is someplace else other than on your computer? Like a website or something that will never, ever delete my pictures?

Kevin C

Shouldn't my ip address look like this: 12.34.567.890

What's with the crazy long number?
The crazy long number is a version 6 IP address, as opposed to the version 4 which you are familiar with. The world is very slowly transitioning to IPv6, since there's a shortage of IPv4 addresses. IPv6 addresses are four times as long, which means that there are 340 trillion trillion trillion of them, as opposed to the mere 4 billion IPv4 addresses (less than one per person on the planet).

All operating systems for all devices have supported both IP versions for the past ten years, so the transition should be invisible to most users, unless of course they google their IP address and are surprised by the large number.:)

BaileyCatts

Digging up the 3 year old Computer Help thread cause I'm tech stoopid .... and generally stoopid as well. :shuffle:

My current computer has Windows 7 on it. I never did do that update thing you were supposed to do like a year ago. "I'll do it later" will be my tombstone. :shuffle: I used to get a pop up box that kept telling me to do it, and now I don't get that anymore. Am I screwed now or can I still update to whatever it was they told you to do? I am trying to load that Opera browser so I can watch the ISU stream for GPs on Saturday's because I don't like watching skating with 'no commentary' so when I am home, I would rather watch the ISU stream versus Peacock's 'no commentary'. But it won't download and I am wondering if its because I still have Windows 7. It keeps telling me 'virus scan failed'.

At this point, should I just buy a new computer?

But what is the best place to save your pictures that is someplace else other than on your computer? Like a website or something that will never, ever delete my pictures?
also h

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I can't find a more recent thread about computers but I desperately need help.

I have been using my Dell laptop (with wireless keyboard and wireless mouse, so it is almost like a desktop computer),for almost three years. It is out of warranty.

Alst week I was trying to copy and paste some photos onto the desktop, but they never showed up there. I created two new folders on the desktop but I cannot open them. I tried to change their names but they reverted to New folder and New folder (2).

If I try to do a copy, paste to the desktop, it tells me that the picture or file does not exist. The error has something to with One drive (I will post the exact message later, because right now I am on the iPad).

The laptop ate up a folder I already had with 4 photos (thankfully it did not have more). Now cannot open that folder.

So far I am able to do a save as into an existing folder (created before the problem began), but how long will that last? I am trying to start an online business to sell my art work and I need a computer that works like normal.

I may try contacting Dell by phone on Monday. On weekend I have to pay them to get help.
May ge there is online help? I am not sure what to look under. This is a weird problem that I never experienced on Any of my computers, at home or work.

Any help/ideas will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information