Cipres/FFSG Press Release on the situation 12-16-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Cipres/FFGS Press Release on the situation 12-16-2019

The French Federation of Ice Sports (FFSG) has been made aware of the allegations aired by a journalist at the daily publication USA TODAY. A journalist who is well known throughout the skating world for scandalrelated articles, in this particular case a photograph of an inappropriate nature is said to have been sent to a young female skater by Morgan Ciprès.

The FFSG has noted that the media attack has been particularly intense in its targeting of two trainers of Mr Ciprès in Sysley Chapel (Florida) : Ms Silvia Fontana and her husband Mr John Zimmermann whose results, both on the American and international stage, have attracted great admiration, as well as against a third trainer, Mr Vinny Dispenza.

Without wishing to excuse any act should it turn out to be true, the FFSG points out that it would appear to date from November 2017, and that there has been no related complaint made to the relevant authorities in the USA against Morgan Ciprès. The FFSG has therefore asked the skater in question to keep it up to date with any pertinent developments. In light of the information at its disposal, the FFSG has no cause not to place its confidence in him.

MsZem

I see the sea
Here, Didier, let me fix it for you until an actual PR professional can step in:

The French Federation of Ice Sports (FFSG) has been made aware of the allegations aired by a journalist at the daily publication USA TODAY.

These allegations are deeply troubling. There is no place in sports for abusive behavior towards fellow athletes, especially not those who are young and vulnerable. Our obligation as a federation is to ensure a safe training and competitive environment for all our skaters. We expect the skaters and coaches affiliated with us to adhere to this standard.

We will support the investigation and trust that it is being conducted professionally and appropriately. Given the confidential nature of this process, we cannot comment at this time regarding any specific allegations.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Here, Didier, let me fix it for you until an actual PR professional can step in:

The French Federation of Ice Sports (FFSG) has been made aware of the allegations aired by a journalist at the daily publication USA TODAY.

These allegations are deeply troubling. There is no place in sports for abusive behavior towards fellow athletes, especially not those who are young and vulnerable. Our obligation as a federation is to ensure a safe training and competitive environment for all our skaters. We expect the skaters and coaches affiliated with us to adhere to this standard.

We will support the investigation and trust that it is being conducted professionally and appropriately. Given the confidential nature of this process, we cannot comment at this time regarding any specific allegations.

@Zemgirl, when I'm back in Israel, we will form a consultancy. That was quite good.

And Mr. Didier has never heard the expression "don't pick fights with people who buy ink by the barrel." The last thing he needs is Brennan coming after him and his corrupt federation, and she could certainly do that.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Without wishing to excuse any act should it turn out to be true, the FFSG points out that it would appear to date from November 2017, and that there has been no related complaint made to the relevant authorities in the USA against Morgan Ciprès.
Wasn't there a complaint made to the police at the time? Also, a complaint was filed with SafeSport 4 months ago. :confused: Are they in denial?

Tinami Amori

Wasn't there a complaint made to the police at the time? Also, a complaint was filed with SafeSport 4 months ago. :confused: Are they in denial?
By a third party, on words said to that party by the girl in private/unrecorded, and unfortunately when police questioned the girl she was not ready to speak.

As to the content of the press release.... i would not put any wording in such that indicates any form of "prejudice", towards one side or the other.

skatfan

The Safesport complaint doesn’t include Cipres as an accused because he’s not a member of US. Figure Skating. Cipres will face no discipline on that front. And perhaps because no actual charges have been filed by the police in Florida Didier thinks he can say this.

nimi

Unless they are under seal (unlikely) we would know I think.
Oh yeah right, it's Florida after all, with its Sunshine Law...

ETA: Another question... I just read on twitter that Morgan is a member of FFSG's Federal Council. Does anybody know if this is indeed the case? (Just wondering.)

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Unless they are under seal (unlikely) we would know I think.
As I understand "Under Seal" it means that the names or other information is not public, but the fact that a complaint was filed would be know.

okokok777

While I'm disappointed by the FFSG's response, I'm not surprised. I'm also incredibly annoyed by some of their statements:

...that there has been no related complaint made to the relevant authorities in the USA against Morgan Ciprès.

1. The allegations were reported to the police, the Florida Department Children and Families and the U.S. Center for SafeSport.

2. They never say Christine Brennan's name - only referring to her as "a journalist who is well known throughout the skating world for scandal related articles"

3. They refer to the complainant as a "young female skater" - with no reference to her age (13) at the time of the alleged sexual abuse.

There are other huge issues I have with the statement but I will refrain from speaking of those until/unless more information is made publicly available.

This is brilliant. Are you looking for a job? :lol: But honestly, your suggested response would go a long way towards empowering survivors of abuse to come forward.

MsZem

I see the sea
This is brilliant. Are you looking for a job? :lol: But honestly, your suggested response would go a long way towards empowering survivors of abuse to come forward.
I'm good with the job I have :)

The actual statement is "what not to do" in multiple ways. It's not helpful for anyone and I fail to see what they thought it would possibly accomplish.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
ETA: Another question... I just read on twitter that Morgan is a member of FFSG's Federal Council. Does anybody know if this is indeed the case? (Just wondering.)

Yes - it's on their website.

Conseil Fédéral
Présidente : M.DELTORCHIO
Vice-Président :
Michel ABRAVANEL
Eric BERGEROU
Maryanne BOUQUET
Véronique LICARI
Franck PRIEUR
Patricia SCOFFIER
Mireille SIMONIN
Christelle SOTTEAU
Alain ARNOD PRIN
Bruno CATELIN
Pascale LICARI
Morgan CIPRES
Romain HEINRICH
Murielle AUDEMARD
Ludovic LE GUENNEC
Steve OLLIVIER
Jean-Philippe SAVONNET
Michel TAMISIER
Bruno PIEL
Tiffany HUOT-MARCHAND
Pierrette ABRAVANEL
Anne CHALIER
Angélique CONSIGNY
Martine FLOUROU
Brigitte GASPAR
Pascale KOVELMANN
Iasbelle MEDARD
Noelle SALFATI
Anthony LEROY
Fabienne SEBAG

This statement is pathetic but sadly I'm not surprised at all...

Barbara Manatee

That's more than tone-deaf - to me it reads like they know damn well he sent the pictures and they're throwing out distractions to minimize the fallout. "The reporter is a nasty gossip! The critics are just jealous! It was years ago. (But if it does blow up, we know nothing.)"

Nmsis

This statement is pathetic but sadly I'm not surprised at all...
It's not that their statement is pathetic.
It's a sick and irresponsible message to the girls involved in figure skating : "in a case of sexual harassment / abuse, you're on your own, we won't take any precaution to ensure you're staying safe"
I don't know that Ciprès is currently in the US and beyond the case at hand which is treated by US legal/sport systems and in which the FFSG has no say, the 13 yo skating girls Ciprès is the most likely to spend time with, now that this story is out, are in France. So what about the FFSG's duty towards its own (especially underage) female members ?
Isn't the federation responsible for their safety, as soon as it has been made aware of a previous situation ?
The case has happened abroad and the french federation isn't directly involved but isn't the girls' security worth at least a temporary suspension of Ciprès' skating license as a caution ? A disciplinary hearing ? An alert to the Sports Ministry to start an administrative inquiry ?
What century is this declaration from ?

bethy135

I 100% and without reserve believe the young girl. I personally witnessed an eerily similar scenario where the young athlete chose not to report. And this athlete still lost everything.

The fundamental culture and set up of this and similar individual youth niche sports is toxic and insidious. And exacerbated by resource guarding of those with unchecked power - especially in the United States.

Our family is done with figure skating forever.

skatfan

As I understand "Under Seal" it means that the names or other information is not public, but the fact that a complaint was filed would be know.

No, under seal can also mean that all aspects of the charges are secret until the DA decides to make them public.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
No, under seal can also mean that all aspects of the charges are secret until the DA decides to make them public.

I think you are incorrect. Do you have a source for this information? I find no information that a police report is sealed.

And the girl was claiming that a picture of a penis was sent to her. As totally gross as that is, it does not rise to the level of Sexual Battery, which is the standard in Florida.

canbelto

Wow awful behavior all around by the adults in this story. I feel terrible for the girl, as it doesn't sound like she got any support from anyone.

skatfan

I think you are incorrect. Do you have a source for this information? I find no information that a police report is sealed.

And the girl was claiming that a picture of a penis was sent to her. As totally gross as that is, it does not rise to the level of Sexual Battery, which is the standard in Florida.

I am not talking about police reports. I am talking about actual charges filed by the DA/prosecutor in court. Yes a judge can seal these for good reasons - such as wanting to charge a big ring of people at the same time.

Here’s an example at the Federal level: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/doz...dictments-dc-docket-mueller/story?id=59249030

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information