Chinese skating news & social media updates pt. 5, 2023 onwards

On My Own

From my sources, It seems that only Lin/Gao and Xiao/He(Or Liu/Ge?)will be saved, most of the teams, including Chen/Xing, Li/Wang, have to end their partnership and pair up with the other skaters.
So the Jilin teams are spared, but not the Heilongjiang ones?

raruki

So the Jilin teams are spared, but not the Heilongjiang ones?
Apparently, team Jilin can only save Lin/Gao though. I don't think Wang/Liu can continue as IAM will not issue any guarantee for them to apply for a visa to train in IAM.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
From my sources, It seems that only Lin/Gao and Xiao/He(Or Liu/Ge?)will be saved, most of the teams, including Chen/Xing, Li/Wang, have to end their partnership and pair up with the other skaters.
That seems... Extreme. Especially for Chen/Xing. They're sitting at #50 on the SB list and that's with very little competition experience going into the season and not a lot of exposure. Lin/Gao have a lot of potential amongst the junior teams so it makes sense for them to stay together but if there's one thing that's true about ice dance it's that these partnerships and teams generally need a few seasons to establish themselves on the international scene.

On My Own

That seems... Extreme. Especially for Chen/Xing. They're sitting at #50 on the SB list and that's with very little competition experience going into the season and not a lot of exposure. Lin/Gao have a lot of potential amongst the junior teams so it makes sense for them to stay together but if there's one thing that's true about ice dance it's that these partnerships and teams generally need a few seasons to establish themselves on the international scene.
Take it with a grain of salt right now. I saw some emotional posts about how it had to do with the NWG results or whatever, but IDK why this is happening, and unless it actually happens, I wouldn't pay attention to it too much. The 2018 Pairs "shuffle" ended up producing the same pairs at the end of the drama, as in nothing actually seemed to happen.

ETA: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...es-for-milan-2026.109798/page-20#post-6397493

clairecloutier

Question ... Were there ever any rumors about Cheng Peng and Yongchao Yang trying out? I'm just curious, because he's a lot closer in age to her than Lei Wang.

ajingmarg

Question ... Were there ever any rumors about Cheng Peng and Yongchao Yang trying out? I'm just curious, because he's a lot closer in age to her than Lei Wang.

Why would she ever want to try out with Yang Yonggchao?

Wang Lei has one of the most beautiful body lines of pairs men.

Peng Cheng said in an interview that Wang Lei is the ideal type of pair partner in Lori Nicol's mind .

clairecloutier

Maybe because Yang is 10 years younger than Wang and possibly in better shape, injurywise? And is also a pretty good skater himself with arguably better speed and lifts than Wang?

Anyhow, my question wasn't whether Peng should try out with Yang, but whether she ever has tried out with him, to anyone's knowledge.

On My Own

Maybe because Yang is 10 years younger than Wang and possibly in better shape, injurywise? And is also a pretty good skater himself with arguably better speed and lifts than Wang?

Anyhow, my question wasn't whether Peng should try out with Yang, but whether she ever has tried out with him, to anyone's knowledge.
I don't think so, but @otisgear is the one who keeps up with the gossip.

raruki

These are the possible new teams in Chinese ice dance according to the rumors spreading across the Chinese internet.
Liu Xinyu will retire, and Wang Shiyue will skate with a naturalized Russian skater.
Li Xuantong will also skate with a naturalized Russian skater.
Xing Jianing will skate with Ren Junfei(Who used to skate with a Russian skater during the Beijing Olympic cycle)
Wang Xinkang will skate with Shi Shang(who used to skate with Wu Nan)
Ge Quanshuo will skate with Li Zhixuan(a novice skater)

Not sure about the future of Chen Xizi and Liu Tong

“And what's wrong with Team Zheng Xun, apparently all of his skaters have to swap with a new partner.:eek:

raruki

Li Xuantong has posted a photo of her and Grigorii Rodin on Instagram stories, they both have China/Russia/Italy flags in their bios and seem to be working out of Zanni’s camp from Rodin’s stories.
They are now training in YGA in Italy.

coralline

Convenient how those Russian men are so easily able to obtain Chinese passports. ;)
Actually no they can‘t……it's extremely difficult for anyone to obtain Chinese passports now because the messy naturalized situation in other winter sports in China. I’m not sure we will see Li / Rodin competing next season.

And Wang / Liu’s official fan account has just posted that they didn‘t split.

Karen-W

Actually no they can‘t……it's extremely difficult for anyone to obtain Chinese passports now because the messy naturalized situation in other winter sports in China. I’m not sure we will see Li / Rodin competing next season.

Well, the partners who don't have Chinese citizenship yet don't need it to compete internationally - they only need it to compete in the Olympics.

coralline

Well, the partners who don't have Chinese citizenship yet don't need it to compete internationally - they only need it to compete in the Olympics.

Yes,but they need Russian Federation‘s permission first,and it seems that CFSA is not willing to apply one at the moment.

On My Own

These are the possible new teams in Chinese ice dance according to the rumors spreading across the Chinese internet.
Liu Xinyu will retire, and Wang Shiyue will skate with a naturalized Russian skater.
Xing Jianing will skate with Ren Junfei(Who used to skate with a Russian skater during the Beijing Olympic cycle)

“And what's wrong with Team Zheng Xun, apparently all of his skaters have to swap with a new partner.:eek:
I mean, I pretty much guessed it would be aimed at the Heilongjiang teams.

No future for Wu Nan either?

Stunned it still exists, and that they still have fans. But good to know we probably won't be seeing Wang either, not just Liu.

raruki

Yes,but they need Russian Federation‘s permission first,and it seems that CFSA is not willing to apply one at the moment.
That's a problem. For them, they still have to wait like 2-3 years for permission from RusFed to compete internationally, and CFSA might not allow them to compete domestically if CFSA is not willing to apply for permission from RusFed. That’s a really challenging amount of time for them to wait.
Great, these two should be together forever literally, and leave other skaters alone.

Karen-W

Do we really know this?
That's a problem. For them, they still have to wait like 2-3 years for permission from RusFed to compete internationally, and CFSA might not allow them to compete domestically if CFSA is not willing to apply for permission from RusFed. That’s a really challenging amount of time for them to wait.
It really depends on whether or not the skaters in question have competed in Russian domestic events in the past year. If not then getting a release will be a lot easier than if they did.

The Russian fed hasn't had their May meeting yet and that's when we'll find out which skaters have been granted releases and which ones have not.

Samurina

Do we really know this?

It really depends on whether or not the skaters in question have competed in Russian domestic events in the past year. If not then getting a release will be a lot easier than if they did.

The Russian fed hasn't had their May meeting yet and that's when we'll find out which skaters have been granted releases and which ones have not.
given its China i'd imagine that they would probably let them go. Especially since they are not ranked super highly. Maybe Pavel Drozd will skate with Wang Shiyu because i dont know really anyone else her age in russian skating atm who is also at her level

Ka3sha

Rodin has been training in Italy with Zanni's group for at least a year already, not sure about his release status but he hasn't competed domestically for sometime

On My Own

So the Li Xuantong/Wang Xinkang split seems to be pretty much fact at this point, but Wang's new partner still seems to be a mystery (barring rumours).

otisgear

I don't think this pairing ever tried out. Also I don't think Yang is a better option than Wang Lei tbh. Yang is inconsistent as can be and aborts lifts A LOT. His jumps aren't solid either. I also don't think Yang has any impetus to change partners...

otisgear

Just to add to these rumours
I saw that Liu Tong is probably skating with Liu Xiang.
Wu Nan is most probably retiring (he only came back for NWG anyways

Karen-W

So - at this point, teams that competed internationally last season:

CHEN Xixi/XING Jianing - split - he has partnered with REN Junfei; no partner yet for her
LI Xuantong/WANG Xinkang - split - she has partnered with Grigorii Rodin (RUS) and they are training at YGA in Egna-Neumarkt Italy; he has partnered with SHI Shang (formerly partnered with WU Nan)
LIN Yufei/GAO Xijian - intact - reigning Jr Nat Champs, 5th at both of their JGPs this season and could definitely be a podium/JGPF contender next season
LIU Tong/GE Quanshuo - split - she has partnered with LIU Xiang; he has partnered with novice skater LI Zhixuan
SHI Shang/WU Nan - split - she has partnered with WANG Xinkang (formerly partnered with LI Xuantong); he is probably retiring
WANG Shiyue/LIU Xinyu - unknown - not returning to IAM due to sexual assault allegations against him and cover-up allegations against her
XIAO Zixi/HE Linghao - intact - moved to IAM for training
YU Xinyi/LIU Tianyi - intact

Which leaves us with -
LI Xuantong/RODIN Grigorii - training at YGA
LI Zhixuan/GE Quanshuo
LIN Yufei/GAO Xijian
LIU Tong/LIU Xiang
REN Junfei/XING Jianing
SHI Shang/WANG Xinkang
XIAO Zixi/HE Linghao - training at IAM
YU Xinyi/LIU Tianyi

WANG Shiyue/LIU Xinyu - no longer at IAM

CHEN Xixi - focusing on Solo Ice Dance!

Last edited:

coralline

Which leaves us with -
LI Xuantong/RODIN Grigorii - training at YGA
LI Zhixuan/GE Quanshuo
LIN Yufei/GAO Xijian
LIU Tong/LIU Xiang
REN Junfei/XING Jianing
SHI Shang/WANG Xinkang
XIAO Zixi/HE Linghao - training at IAM

WANG Shiyue/LIU Xinyu - no
YU Xinyi/LU Tianyi

CHEN Xixi - partner searching? maybe she's the one getting a new Russian partner, not WANG Shiyue as rumored???
Perfect summary:saint:

YU Xinyi/LIU Tianyi are also intact,we may see them at the ISU ID Seminar in Thailand later.

Like Emmy Bronsard,Chen Xizi is focusing on solo ice dance now.

Karen-W

YU Xinyi/LIU Tianyi are also intact,we may see them at the ISU ID Seminar in Thailand later.

Will edit my post accordingly!

On My Own

I hope the Zheng Xun teams splits don't have some extremely stupid reason like "They were good! So let's make 4 new good pairs with them! 😍 "

raruki

I really hope this is something Chen really wants to do and has a strong passion on it. Otherwise, I will feel extremely bad for Chen coz she suffers the most in this swapping partners drama. Ability-wise, I think her potential in ID is even greater than Li and Wang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information