Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

On My Own

I don’t understand that kind of mentality though. If you have two decent pairs, why reduce your chances and put all your hopes on just one pair? They could support both pairs and it wouldn’t be taking anything from their number one pair. What happens if Sui/Han gets injured last minute? Or if one of them has just simple flu or something and won’t be able to skate on that day? When Russian federation had Zagitova and Medvedeva, they didn’t have the need to undermine one skater to support the other one; they supported both of them and then they got gold and silver.
I agree it doesn't make sense. But I don't think China really cares about Figure Skating enough to think like this.

Looking at your example though and applying what I believe happened here, technically, Medvedeva and Zagitova were both OGM contenders (much like the parade of Eteri skaters this season, at least three can win OGM on their own right, and are all supported). P/J aren't OGM contenders, as much as I think they're better than M/G, B/K, and T/M and therefore really only second to S/H. Their scoring suggests they're not OGM contenders. A better example would be RusFed supporting their men, when none of them have a shot at the OGM.

hanca

Values her privacy
I agree it doesn't make sense. But I don't think China really cares about Figure Skating enough to think like this.

Looking at your example though and applying what I believe happened here, technically, Medvedeva and Zagitova were both OGM contenders. P/J aren't OGM contenders. A better example would be RusFed supporting their men, when none of them have a shot at the OGM.
Not sure whether China cares about skating, but they do care about the medals. And I wouldn’t say that P/J aren’t contenders. We are talking about pairs, so anything can happen. Mishina/Galliamov were not ‘contenders’ when they won the worlds. In fact, if we discussed this a year ago, I would say that P/J has better chance to win the worlds than Mishina/Galliamov… and see, all that was needed was a few top pairs making mistakes and suddenly M/G are world champions. The same could potentially happen to P/J, if the other top pairs make mistakes.

On My Own

The same could potentially happen to P/J, if the other top pairs make mistakes.
To this, unfortunately, I must say "no way". P/J's scoring makes it an impossibility, they were even knocked off the Saitama podium at 2019 Worlds by Zabiiako/Enbert, who hardly had their quality :confused: I do wish they were, and again I agree it doesn't make sense to not send them to another GP because there's no way they wouldn't qualify for the GPF.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
With all fairness and much love and respect for Peng/Jin, they simply don't have the major international results to back up the notion that they are heavy medal contenders. They haven't medaled at Worlds yet and while they've had some good GP/GPF results, and their 4CCs results are nothing to sneer at, they're not going to medal on a day when every single team that placed ahead of them at Worlds goes clean. P/J medaling in Beijing wouldn't be a major surprise to those who follow figure skating but no one's going to be betting on them in Vegas or Macau. ;)

clairecloutier

When you have been 4th and 5th at the last 2 Worlds, then you are capable of medaling at Worlds if things fall your way, in my opinion. (Especially now with landing the SBS 3S!)

For sure, Peng/Jin are not top prospects for an individual medal. But I'd be willing to bet that none of their competitors would count them out, either.

P.S. It's too bad that the Chinese fed doesn't prioritize them; I wish they did. But China does things their way .... :(

SidelineSkater

I’ve been a huge fan of P/J since their pairing. They’ve had some great SPs. Loved Cloud Atlas too. I kind like this odd but fun SP. I’m so confused and annoyed they were withdrawn from their other GP.

I do worry about S/H pair spin. Over the years they’ve struggled with getting level 4 called - including at the 18 OG. They lost a point which lost them the gold. Granted they also had other issues with a 1T and a lift not getting full value, but the pair spin has a history of losing points. I’m hopeful that’s not the case come February.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Beijing TV's Winter Olympic Channel interviewed Han Yan (aired on November 6th). The interview is titled "Figure Skating Is A Part of My Life"

A summary of what he said:

• He's still skating and practicing 4T and 4S, but probably won't learn new quads (Asked fans not to speculate on his retirement)
  • Had planned to do quad at Worlds but decided to go for a safer route eventually
  • Wants to keep in competitive shape - opportunities are for prepared people. Hoping to go to Olympics
  • Now he enjoys every skate with gratitude
  • Won't leave figure skating even after retirement. Might work as a coach, judge or choreographer
ETA: Han posted a 30-second clip of his La La Land program: https://weibo.com/1991083414/L0nPi4s7T

Last edited:

raruki

Hongyi Chen performed her new free skate in a local test skate. The music of the new program is 茉莉花 (Jasmine), a Chinese folk song.
video link:

Shan Lin has already been back in China when team China finished their competitions in GP Italia. She came back with them in Italy and has trained in the national team camp for preparing the Chinese nationals this December.

raruki

Xiangyi An would have some new programs for the Nationals this December choreographed by Benoit Richaud according to her social media accounts.
She has grown a lot this year because of puberty and lost some triples at this moment. Hope that she can go through this difficult time.

raruki

Xiangyi An would have some new programs for the Nationals this December choreographed by Benoit Richaud
A sneak peek of Nini’s new FP.
just love everything, Nini's musicality is just divine and her skating skills improve dramatically.:saint:
unfortunately, Xiangyi An might withdraw from the Nationals because it clashes with her entrance examination.

raruki

Zhong Xie(解众)and Zhu Dai Zi Fei(朱黛紫菲)have retired from the competitive skating.
It is reported that Xie is now working in a local club in Xi'an, while Zhu is studying at Peking University right now.
congratulation on being free from the dictatorship of evil Shen and Zhao!:respec:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
A sneak peek of Nini’s new FP.
just love everything, Nini's musicality is just divine and her skating skills improve dramatically.:saint:
unfortunately, Xiangyi An might withdraw from the Nationals because it clashes with her entrance examination.
Who is “Nini”? Full name, please. 😊

feraina

Wenjing Sui posted her new combo 3T+3T on her weibo's account.
Of course this is not in competition. But honestly for a long while she was the last pairs girl I would’ve expected to master 3t-3t given how only a few years ago she had a very unreliable 3t. Peng also really improved on her triples. Got more consistent on the 3t and starting to land the 3S more consistently too. Really impressive!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't want to be the negative one because I'd actually love to see S/H up their technical content, but that second 3T is never getting called clean if that's the level she's at right now.

3T+3T< or even with the generous 'q' and negative GOE seems like an unnecessary risk versus 3T+2T+2T IMO. It also sets up the huge risk of 3T+3T<<, which ends up worse than a 3T solo.

raruki

I don't want to be the negative one because I'd actually love to see S/H up their technical content, but that second 3T is never getting called clean if that's the level she's at right now.

3T+3T< or even with the generous 'q' and negative GOE seems like an unnecessary risk versus 3T+2T+2T IMO. It also sets up the huge risk of 3T+3T<<, which ends up worse than a 3T solo.
It is indeed under-rotated, and It certainly needs a while to add 3T+3T into her program if she wants to. But I think Sui practices 3T+3T because she wants to improve her flow and the rotations of her 3T+2T+2T, and she has practiced it since the 2018 Olympics. Normally, Sui was always lack of speed and short of rotations when landing the second 2T, but her flow and rotations of her second double toe have improved a lot in this season based on the performances of the latest Grand Prix events. Practicing harder combo can definitely improve your jumping skills overall.

raruki

The Chinese sports authority has published its selection process for the Olympic team.

There will be 5 internal competitions being held from December 16th, 2021 to January 22nd, 2022.
The Olympic slots for pairs and Ice dance are decided (S/H, P/J FOR PAIRS, W/L FOR ICE DANCE).
The 5 internal competitions will determine the remaining slots of single skatings.
Hongyi Chen, Shan Lin, and Yi Zhu in women's single skating, and Boyang Jin, Han Yan, Yudong Chen in men's single skating have to attend all of the 5 internal competitions to fight for the only slot in the Olympic team.
The most consistent skaters with the most points can secure their slots in the Olympic team.

Last edited:

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Hongyi Chen, Shan Lin, and Yi Zhu in women's single skating, and Boyang Jin, Han Yan, Yudong Chen in men's single skating have to attend all of the 5 internal competitions to fight for the only slot in the Olympic team.
The most consistent skaters with the most points can secure their slots in the Olympic team.

Actually only the best 4 of the 5 results will count so theoretically they can only attend 4.

(There's a TES minimum for this Olympic trial - Men 28/46, Women 23/40 in this or the previous season at ISU international competitions and only these 6 have met it so far)

ETA: Ignore the paragraph above please as I had read the announcement wrong - it actually says skaters need to meet the TES minimum for Olympics before Jan. 24 2022 and so far these 6 skaters have met it. However I don't think China will send anyone to international competitions between now and then so these 6 will be the ones we see at the Olympic trials.

Schedule:

Dec. 16-18 1 competition
Dec. 30-Jan. 1 2 competitions
Jan. 20-22 2 competitions (these two will be held in Capital Indoor Stadium, the venue for Olympics)

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

That's some schedule :watch:

2 events in 3 days?
Do they have to skate SP and FS the same day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information