CBC Revives Battle of the Blades Skating Show!

coppertop1

Of course this is cheese, but who cares? It's just a really fun show. They are really working hard and doing things they've never done on ice that put them outside their comfort zones.. I"ll always remember the comment from years ago from one of the hockey players " I put my hand, where????"

That was too funny. And their faces when they were introduced to ballet class. If it's cheese, it's good quality cheese. Seeing the hockey players learn to figure skate is always impressive and I like hearing their stories, it puts a human face to these tough guys. Lease can stuff it.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

That was too funny. And their faces when they were introduced to ballet class. If it's cheese, it's good quality cheese. Seeing the hockey players learn to figure skate is always impressive and I like hearing their stories, it puts a human face to these tough guys. Lease can stuff it.

TSL's 'we're above it all' snark got very old very quickly. I'm with you @coppertop1

I love BOTB because it creates wide - reaching interest, and shows hockey fans who tune in, just how athletically challenging and difficult figure skating actually is.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm not from North America so I can't comment on the level of fame of the hockey players.

But I'm just imagining in my country if we had something similar and (for comparison with popular sports) Rugby League players were participating - I can think of some very popular players who would last a long time on the show even if they were crawling around on the ice LOL.

It's the same as shows like Dancing with the Stars - there are very popular and engaging celebrities that people want to continue watching.

If it was just about skating, then that's what the Grand Prix series etc is for.

I remember how much fun it was watching Torvill & Dean's Dancing On Ice when it was on Australian TV over a decade ago. It was so interesting to see well known celebrities jump off the deep and and really give learning how to skate their best shot. What I loved was the level of improvement many of the participants showed over the course of the series. I'm sure interest in recreational and competitive skating was boosted in Australia because of DOI.

Sonata

I was actually surprised by how complimentary TSL was about this show. They seem to respect what the hockey players are doing. The only real negative I noticed is they feel it's overly nationalistic, e.g., the use of "Canadian Girls" as a song. I find this funny, because this is my own complaint when sometimes watching American channels where they keep promoting an American skater as a gold medal threat when in actuality, they have no chance at a medal even at their best. Also, can we acknowledge that there are many analogous cheesy songs in the U.S. like "American Woman" or "All-American Girl"? Whether you find it truly cheesy may depend on where you live.

Spooner already had star quality when she was on The Amazing Race Canada - it's no wonder that they invited her to be on this show. She's fully committed to whatever she takes on.

Skate Talker

Also, can we acknowledge that there are many analogous cheesy songs in the U.S. like "American Woman" or "All-American Girl"?
I get the point you are making but, of course we realize that "American Woman" was written by Burton Cummings of Winnipeg, Manitoba and was seen as an anti-American anthem to the point that The Guess Who were requested NOT to use it during their White House performance.

Sonata

I get the point you are making but, of course we realize that "American Woman" was written by Burton Cummings of Winnipeg, Manitoba and was seen as an anti-American anthem to the point that The Guess Who were requested NOT to use it during their White House performance.

Yes, that's true! So funny that I forgot that as I've seen them sing this live :D I associate it a lot to Tara Lipinski because she used it and it was definitely not in an anti-American context.

jenniferlyon

Yes, that's true! So funny that I forgot that as I've seen them sing this live :D I associate it a lot to Tara Lipinski because she used it and it was definitely not in an anti-American context.

It's like going to a Generation X wedding reception and people are slow dancing to REM's "The One I Love" or "Every Breath You Take" by the Police. Those are NOT love songs!

Sk8tn

On second watch, I have to give the very slightest of edge to shelly over my beloved spoon again. I keep expecting Bruno to be more emotive and he still hasn't really brought it, good skater but he doesn't sell it as well as he could.

Unless disaster befalls, Shel deserves to win this, but there's still a ways to go.

Bruno has nice posture and knees, but he needs to show more footwork (a variety of one foot and two foot turns, quick steps, etc.). I’d have Shelly ahead by a mile until and unless Bruno adds that content, but both should be finalists (along with Nathalie Spooner). I swear, I half expect to see Shelly throw some rockers, counters and choctaws out there. (OK, I want more high pattern dance samples in his programs. Hmmm, blues Choctaw?)

Last edited:

Colonel Green

The biggest thing Bruno is missing, up to this point, is character. He's probably at a similar level to Natalie and Sheldon in skills (though Sheldon is in clear first so far), but I have never come away from one of the Ekaterina/Bruno numbers with much memory of him. Which, sure, a lot of that is just that Ekaterina is the star (that's unavoidable), but the programs don't make any real effort to highlight him, whereas Natalie and Sheldon's do (particularly, again, Sheldon's).

beebee

I swear, I half expect to see Shelly throw some rockers, counters and choctaws out there. (OK, I want more high pattern dance samples in his programs. Hmmm, blues Choctaw?)

Did anyone notice the piece of a pattern dance in Week 2? The cross rolls were quite
apparent—Shelly’s were pretty good—but I don’t think the judges noticed. It looked like they were doing a tiny bit of the Argentine Tango.

Last edited:

rdavies

Sheldon Kennedy is a middle aged phenom. When I predicted spoon to win (and I think she would have had not Kennedy been in it), I couldn't have foreseen what he brought to the table.

He is the oldest hockey player by far (age 50) he has at least ten years on all his hockey competitors (Stock is 44). Older competitors generally do not do well on BOTB. I thought they would play the sob story but it hasn't been played up much aside from the first episode. I don't think it has been mentioned that he roller bladed across Canada to raise awareness and a made for TV movie was made about his story.

He has earned everything at BOTB on his own merit. In one of the features he mentioned not being prepared when he was in the NHL, well he prepared for this one. He looks to be in better shape and have more speed than anybody, his artistry is better and his figure skating skills are better. He came into Battle ready to battle. If he doesn't win this I will have watched my last BOTB. Of course anything could happen and the sky could fall but...

Has anybody else noticed this competition seems rushed, should they have eliminated the first team so soon. There doesn't seem to be the same amount or time of background stories either. Maybe I'm wrong.

Colleen

I am really enjoying the show - I enjoy watching all of the teams and don't really have a favourite. I have great respect for the hard work they are all clearly putting in to their weekly programs. They've come a long way from the first seasons where the hockey players struggled with their toe picks. Clearly they are doing a lot of advance training!

I agree - it does seem rushed - less background on the skaters. Not sure why though - more ads maybe?

rdavies

I thought there was something off with her as well.
Surprised nobody mentioned how M-F threw her support to Natalie and then said I'm a judge I shouldn't be saying that. I know it would be very difficult not to play favourites if one competitor is so much better than another, it was a cute and understandable moment.

rdavies

I agree - it does seem rushed - less background on the skaters. Not sure why though - more ads maybe?
Not more ads, the same amount of time for ads is allotted per hour. Speaking of TV, BOTB makes the top 20, in at number 17

Um3ZAKg.jpg

Satellizer

existing
Surprised nobody mentioned how M-F threw her support to Natalie and then said I'm a judge I shouldn't be saying that. I know it would be very difficult not to play favourites if one competitor is so much better than another, it was a cute and understandable moment.

Probably has a soft spot for the female hockey players as she competed against Tessa Bonhomme Season 3. She was runner-up that year too.

Sk8tn

Sheldon Kennedy is a middle aged phenom. When I predicted spoon to win (and I think she would have had not Kennedy been in it), I couldn't have foreseen what he brought to the table.

He is the oldest hockey player by far (age 50) he has at least ten years on all his hockey competitors (Stock is 44). Older competitors generally do not do well on BOTB. I thought they would play the sob story but it hasn't been played up much aside from the first episode. I don't think it has been mentioned that he roller bladed across Canada to raise awareness and a made for TV movie was made about his story.

He has earned everything at BOTB on his own merit. In one of the features he mentioned not being prepared when he was in the NHL, well he prepared for this one. He looks to be in better shape and have more speed than anybody, his artistry is better and his figure skating skills are better. He came into Battle ready to battle. If he doesn't win this I will have watched my last BOTB. Of course anything could happen and the sky could fall but...

Has anybody else noticed this competition seems rushed, should they have eliminated the first team so soon. There doesn't seem to be the same amount or time of background stories either. Maybe I'm wrong.

I am glad to see someone in my age group show good skating skills and ice dance skills. I just tested my last Gold dance (US Adult 50+ track), and I’d be happy to call steps and partner him on a social dance session. Hmmmm, do you think he could make older ice dancers popular enough north of the border to get an adult dance track up there or to get more guys to do social ice dance on both sides of the border?

rdavies

While we're waiting for the next show, it's time to bore people with some filler until the next show :) Ironic we mention the above quote, because earlier I had posted how Brian McGrattan had reminded me of a young Randy Bachman, who, of course, wrote the music for American Woman (Burt provided the lyrics) The song is shrouded in mystery as it was first improvised in a curling rink in Ontario, Randy playing the riff and Burt improvising the lyrics when he came back late onto the stage.

There doesn't seem to be consensus in the band about what the song really means, and it likely wasn't meant to be negatively anti-American perhaps more pro-Canadian. It seems Tricia Nixon was behind the invite to the White House and it was her favourite song. It wasn't really a big deal that they were asked not to do it. Being good Canadian boys they didn't want to offend anybody and substitued "Hand Me Down World" which had as "political" a message as American Woman" anyway.

I had a small link to them. When I started my career in TV broadcasting, my mentor and instructor was Bob Burns, a great guy and The Guess Who's first manager in Winnipeg. For those that don't know Winnipeg was the heart of rock and roll in Canada, like Liverpool in the UK, it was the spawning ground of the Canadian rock scene. The Guess Who, BTO, Neil Young, jazz legend Lenny Breau, what more can you say, even lesser known Joey Gregorash had a hit for those old enough to remember.

Last edited:

puglover

While we're waiting for the next show, it's time to bore people with some filler until the next show :) Ironic we mention the above quote, because earlier I had posted how Brian McGrattan had reminded me of a young Randy Bachman, who, of course, wrote the music for American Woman (Burt provided the lyrics) The song is shrouded in mystery as it was first improvised in a curling rink in Ontario, Randy playing the riff and Burt improvising the lyrics when he came back late onto the stage.

There doesn't seem to be consensus in the band about what the song really means, and it likely wasn't meant to be negatively anti-American perhaps more pro-Canadian. It seems Tricia Nixon was behind the invite to the White House and it was her favourite song. It wasn't really a big deal that they were asked not to do it. Being good Canadian boys they didn't want to offend anybody and substitued "Hand Me Down World" which had as "political" a message as American Woman" anyway.

I had a small link to them. When I started my career in TV broadcasting, my mentor and instructor was Bob Burns, a great guy and The Guess Who's first manager in Winnipeg. For those that don't know Winnipeg was the heart of rock and roll in Canada, like Liverpool in the UK, it was the spawning ground of the Canadian rock scene. The Guess Who, BTO, Neil Young what more can you say, even lesser known Joey Gregorash had a hit for those old enough to remember.
I was a teenager in Winnipeg during that great rock scene and was friends with Randy Bachman's wife Lorraine. Salisbury House restaurants, an old Winnipeg chain, display a lot of memorabilia from those early days and I always go there when in town. I have aways believed I lived through a great time in music - all of the American anti war ballads and a very vibrant and amazing local vibe.

Sonata

This post is just more evidence that you can learn a lot about music by following figure skating.
Also had no idea this song was created at an ice rink.

Skate Talker

Ironic we mention the above quote, because earlier I had posted how Brian McGrattan had reminded me of a young Randy Bachman, who, of course, wrote the music for American Woman (Burt provided the lyrics)
And now I too stand corrected, lol. Yes of course I knew more about the back-story of American Woman. The way I heard it, the rest of the band was on stage waiting for Burton to join them when Randy started improvising the now-famous hook and the others joined in. Then when Burton arrived he just started scatting and improvising lyrics. Such brilliant talents and so remiss of me before to only mention Burton. So sorry Randy - and I am such a fan of his Vinyl Tap program on CBC radio too. As to the meaning of the song, with lyrics like "I don't need your war machines, I don't need your ghetto scenes" to me it will always seem to me more anti-American than pro Canadian however the band members see it. Guess I'm a pessimist at heart, eh?

Thanks for the link to the article on the Winnipeg rock & roll connection. I lived just outside Winnipeg during the hay-days but was just reaching my teens when The Guess Who hit it really big so I kind of missed out on that whole earlier community club dance scene. How exciting for you to have been connected to the scene. True to the 7-degrees-of-separation idea, my sister-in-law's brother-in-law was in one of those many bands. And I fondly remember Joey Gregorash too. If I recall correctly one of his later songs, "Together", became a staple at weddings for a long time. I actually have 2 Mongrels 45's in my collection and I think he was with the band when they were recorded. A good number of years ago, (decades?), I attended a "reunion social" of the bigger club bands at the Winnipeg Convention Centre, which I enjoyed very much.

rdavies

even lesser known Joey Gregorash had a hit for those old enough to remember.
I am sure many of you will know the song below (if it's not familiar right off the bat, go ahead to 1:05)

In 1984 Gregorash returned to recording with "Love Will Bring It Together" a charity single for the Children's Hospital of Winnipeg which had as B-side "Together" a song which utilized the tune of Gregorash's early single "Tomorrow Tomorrow" for lyrics which Gregorash had once sung to it at a friend's wedding.

From being played by one radio disc jockey in Winnipeg "Together" eventually accrued sufficient interest for release on Attic Records as "Together (The New Wedding Song)" which reached the Canadian Top Ten in the summer of 1987.

Continuing the Winnipeg connection, that is where Sheldon Kennedy got his start in junior hockey in the MJHL

rdavies

I was a teenager in Winnipeg during that great rock scene. I have always believed I lived through a great time in music - a very vibrant and amazing local vibe.
In one of the articles Burton Cummings said he was in class one day in high school and he tallied the bands he knew in Winnipeg and he came up with at least 200.

Speaking of the mid 1960's here's something for our southern friends to ponder. It didn't get the name Winterpeg for nuthin'

Winnipeg blizzard, ca. 1966
OBCLtdu.jpg

The infamous Winnipeg blizzard of 1966 was so bad that all the buses in the city stopped running and healthcare workers could only get to work via snowmobile. The headline in the Winnipeg Free Press on March 4th, 1966 read “Wild Blizzard Rakes Province — Worst in History.”

rdavies

I don't think it has been mentioned that he roller bladed across Canada to raise awareness and a made for TV movie was made about his story
Don't know why I didn't post this earlier for some who might not know the backstory, The Sheldon Kennedy Story

He has led an eventful, oft time sad life. Prior to the incredibly tragic Humboldt Broncos bus crash of 2018, there was another fateful junior hockey bus crash of a team named Broncos. Sheldon Kennedy was a passenger in the Swift Current Broncos bus crash of December 1986 in which four players were killed.

See also
Official Trailer Swift Current - Sheldon Kennedy Documentary (2015)

Last edited:

karmena

Natalie Spooner gets ready for showtime
Hockey player Natalie Spooner gets her try at figure skating while competing on Battle of the Blades.
There's not much time for a pre-show routine when you have to get hair and makeup done! Natalie Spooner on the differences between being a woman in figure skating vs in hockey

She has such a beautiful and expressive voice?! never mind...I am musician

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information