• B. Schuba

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • E. Sceglova

• P. Dodd or E. Zillmer

• Total voters

bardtoob

Capriciously Judge the 1970 World Championships Ladies Long Program.

By capriciously, I mean you can rank the skaters however you like while being given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior.

For each skater, you must assign three ranks (LOWER THE RANK THE HIGHER THE PLACEMENT):
1. An overall rank 1-11
2. A technical rank 1-11 (Note: if you know nothing about technique then just rank based what you feel is harder or whatever you make up in your head :2faced: )
3. A presentation rank 1-11 (Note: the criteria is whether you like how they move on the ice and if you like their costume, hair, make-up, or them :2faced: )

Final results are based on the lowest sum of the overall ranks. The tie breakers are:
A. The lowest sum of the technical ranks
B. The lowest sum of the presentation ranks
C. The lowest sum of all three ranks.

The skating order is:

E. Sceglova
E. Zillmer
B. Schuba
D. Glab (Note: The young John Nicks at the boards with her.)
P. Dodd
G. Seyfert (Note: Frau Mueller is gorgeous.)
J. Lynn
Z. Almassy
J. L. Holmes (Note: No Carlo, but I think Christa meets Julie after the marks.)
R. Trapanese (Note: That might be Sonia Bianchetti at the boards.)
K. Magnessen

The official thread video is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JcKl0HpltY

In the poll put your overall top pick. There is no time limit.

Capricious comments on the skaters are encouraged!

bardtoob

I underestimated what I expected to see from Karen Magnessen. The is definitely a reason she is currently in a three way tie for top skater with Gabby and Janet Lynn.

bardtoob

Wow! E. Sceglova's coach appears to be a young Elena Tchaikovskaya, who would go on to coach the first Russian (and former Soviet) female figure skater to a World Championship, which was Maria Butryskaya.

I never knew Elena Tchaikovskaya was so prominent. Of course, most of my skating fandom I only knew of Tarasova, Mishin, Moskvina, and Czuk. Occasionally, I heard of "a development coach with the best technique but did not groom champions" that was Viktor Kudriavtsev.

ETA: Oddly enough, according to Wikipedia, Butyrskaya was coached by Viktor Kudriavtsev for several years until he told her that she was strong technically but he could not help her mentally. Her coach then became Elena Tchaikovskaia.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Wow! E. Sceglova's coach appears to be a young Elena Tchaikovskaya, who would go on to coach the first Russian (and former Soviet) female figure skater to a World Championship, which was Maria Butryskaya.

I never knew Elena Tchaikovskaya was so prominent. Of course, most of my skating fandom I only knew of Tarasova, Mishin, Moskvina, and Czuk. Occasionally, I heard of "a development coach with the best technique but did not groom champions" that was Viktor Kudriavtsev.

:huh: Tchaikovskaya was a huge coach, and the leader of the whole Russian team for many years. She, along with students Pakhomova and Gorshkov, created the Tango Romantica that the ISU adapted as a compulsory dance prior to their Olympic win. She also coached Linichuk and Karponosov and Vladimir Kotin, whom you would often see in the kiss and cry with Butyrskaya and Drobizako/Vanagas in the late 90s/early 2000s.

One of her other students, Vladimir Kovalev, was one of Butyrskaya's early coaches.

VGThuy

I once read that Marina Zoueva spit at her, but I might be confusing her with someone else. Zoueva spit on someone according to Gordeeva/Grinkov’s former coach.

gk_891

I once read that Marina Zoueva spit at her, but I might be confusing her with someone else. Zoueva spit on someone according to Gordeeva/Grinkov’s former coach.

I think that was Tchaikovskaya.

I find it interesting that Zoueva ended up being such a successful coach. Because I found her and Vitman to be an absolutely terrible ice dance team. But I guess I have to remember that they were a product of their time.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Pretty sure, Tchaikovskaya was Bute's coach for a while or at least had some role, I remember seeing her in the K & C with her at least once.

Of course she was. She started coaching her and that is when Maria really started to transform her skating, and she was with her up until Maria retired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information