Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Seeing the positive side, I'm happy that they are not retiring. I was worried the whole season they would - I thought the US nationals were a "now or never" moment. And the fact that Donahue was starting to coach younger teams was worrying (not for the younger teams !).

So we'll see them in the next quad, that's great news !

Zach has worked with a younger team on choreography. Their visas don’t allow them to work in Canada. That said, when they were still in Michigan, he coached a lot. It’s pretty common for skaters to coach for income to help pay for their own expenses.

LarrySK8

Donahue wanted it so much he was obsessed with placement and a medal. When it came time to twizzle, he CHOKED. They only won US Nationals because of mistakes by others anyway. He simply choked.

Skittl1321

Donahue wanted it so much he was obsessed with placement and a medal. When it came time to twizzle, he CHOKED. They only won US Nationals because of mistakes by others anyway. He simply choked.

Maybe he and Nathan Chen can split the fees of a sports psychologist before Worlds.

Though I don't think H/D's placements are quite what I will call choking. They made mistakes; but 4th is a very respectable finish, and they had decent finishes in the short and free- it wasn't like they were totally buried in either program. I wish they were error free though.

msmandaskates

Maybe he and Nathan Chen can split the fees of a sports psychologist before Worlds.

Though I don't think H/D's placements are quite what I will call choking. They made mistakes; but 4th is a very respectable finish, and they had decent finishes in the short and free- it wasn't like they were totally buried in either program. I wish they were error free though.

I feel the same. Of course I'm sad they slipped off the podium, but it's easy to forget that, this time last year, they were solidly US #3 and not even close to the international medal conversation, and now they're national champs and finished fourth at an incredibly competitive Olympics. I'm so glad they're not retiring and really excited to see a genuine domestic rivalry with the Shibs over the next quad!

blancanieves

114+ was not unbeatable with a clean skate, but they had the check on twizzles plus the stumble/fall at the end that invalidated the element. 3rd highest PCS indicates the judges were ready to give them bronze.
So so heartbroken, hoping that this does not become a much bigger mental block and the come back strong at worlds.

I don't think that every error relates to mental strength.

The teams ahead of them in Pyeongchang have all been skating together at least twice as long. That can't be irrelevant. I think H/D are challenged to execute the highest level of difficulty in a context where often greater longevity correlates to greater accuracy and consistency.

And they mostly succeed, I mean, they're 4th as first time Olympians (against V/M and P/C). Occasionally showing some growing pains is understandable for a team that is 6/7 years old. They'll figure it out as they continue to accrue time together.

Also, I wonder if in hindsight they might have needed more time to absorb the changes to the FD.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I'm so glad they're not retiring and really excited to see a genuine domestic rivalry with the Shibs over the next quad!

Are the Shibs staying? I hope H/D's genuine rivalry will be with P/C, after all, we do need another "two top teams training with the same coaches" narrative for 2022 ;)

msmandaskates

Are the Shibs staying? I hope H/D's genuine rivalry will be with P/C, after all, we do need another "two top teams training with the same coaches" narrative for 2022 ;)

I mean, that's the dream, isn't it? H/D vs. P/C, except they're actually friends instead of just on-camera friends ;)

I assume that the Shibs are staying - they're relatively young and don't seem like the type to step away early, barring injury or other extenuating circumstances. They strike me as relentless (in the best way). I imagine Chock/Bates are considering retiring, though - this is his third Olympics and they keep losing ground to H/D and the Shibs.

VGThuy

Last time they answered that question, Chock/Bates were all about staying and competing. If all three teams stay, it'll be difficult to say if they will continue to be the three dominant teams as I'm sure there are many currently below them who are itching to overtake them with Hawayek/Baker being in front of that line as they've been waiting for four full seasons as seniors already to compete at 4CC (in a non-Olympic year) and Worlds.

msmandaskates

Last time they answered that question, Chock/Bates were all about staying and competing. If all three teams stay, it'll be difficult to say if they will continue to be the three dominant teams as I'm sure there are many currently below them who are itching to overtake them with Hawayek/Baker being in front of that line as they've been waiting for four full seasons as seniors already to compete at 4CC (in a non-Olympic year) and Worlds.

I think the Shibs and H/D will be hard to beat domestically; I definitely don't think any of the second-tier Americans can beat them. Hawayek/Baker might be able to surpass Chock/Bates if they stay, though, with a good set of programs and a bit of momentum.

It will be interesting to see how the US teams shake out at Worlds, assuming they're all there. With V/M confirmed as not going, I could definitely see a podium of P/C, the Shibs, and H/D, and I think a Worlds medal for H/D would lessen the sting of this disappointment and help with momentum for next season.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I still feel so badly for Madi and Zach. They were slightly excited and just a bit tight for the FD. But I wonder how they processed being left off the team too. Did USFS explain that decision to them?

BTW, Zachary apparently is from Madison, Connecticut:
http://www.courant.com/sports/olympics/hc-sp-olympics-donohue-ice-dancing-20180219-story.html

I mean, that's the dream, isn't it? H/D vs. P/C, except they're actually friends instead of just on-camera friends ;)

I assume that the Shibs are staying - they're relatively young and don't seem like the type to step away early, barring injury or other extenuating circumstances...

Yep, Guillaume was looking upset for H/D at their tech scores. It's too early to know how the dust will settle right now. But there are reports that the Shibs said they have not decided if they will compete at Worlds.

I would not characterize the Shibs as 'relentless.' I think that they are very determined, focused and courageous. It took huge belief in themselves to bolster their confidence which had been affected over the course of the season.

Both H/D and the Shibs have had a long hard row to hoe trying to make it in U.S. ice dance. I hate to see factions pitting these two teams against each other. Grit, courage and determination epitomize the struggles both teams have faced.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I was thinking about last night, and I'm still really sad for them, but I love the changes Madison and Zach made to the FD. With a clean performance, I think it'll be more impactful and could really push them forward.

I'm gutted for them that they couldn't put out the performance they wanted- it sounds like they had excellent practices leading up to the ice dance segment, so it's tough to not see them be able to replicate that in the competition.

Still, I'm really excited to see what music choices they'll make in the future. I think they would do brilliantly with something along the lines of Gilles/Poirier's Hitchcock, or Hurtado/Diaz's Picasso.

semogal

This is the Hubbell and Donohue FAN thread, so move your negativity out of here please. Ice is slippery and mistakes happen. They are a talented and beautiful team that are the reigning US Champions and in their first Olympics placed fourth. That is something to celebrate not denigrate.

msmandaskates

I would not characterize the Shibs as 'relentless.' I think that they are very determined, focused and courageous. It took huge belief in themselves to bolster their confidence which had been affected over the course of the season.

Both H/D and the Shibs have had a long hard row to hoe trying to make it in U.S. ice dance. I hate to see factions pitting these two teams against each other. Grit, courage and determination epitomize the struggles both teams have faced.

Your words are much better than mine :) I have loved seeing how both teams have really come into their own this quad! And it's beautiful to see such a variety of styles in American dance.

This is the Hubbell and Donohue FAN thread, so move your negativity out of here please. Ice is slippery and mistakes happen. They are a talented and beautiful team that are the reigning US Champions and in their first Olympics placed fourth. That is something to celebrate not denigrate.

I was watching the slo-mo replay on the NBC Sports "Olympic Ice" program earlier and Zach's knee almost looked like it hit a bit of rough ice? Not making excuses but it looked a little... bumpy. Doesn't matter, of course, but just something I thought I saw.

Rafter

I noticed at the end of their FD, the camera zoomed in on her right after they finished and she said “I’m sorry” to him. I didn’t think she made a mistake but on replay one set of her twizzles looked slightly off. I guess that’s why she apologized to him? Did anyone notice any mistake from her?

topaz

I'm not ever giving up on this team but I felt a little empty for the two days. I so wanted this for them because of their brilliance. However, this time it was not meant to be. I adore this team so much. Great people, great skating = So much love!

Shoutout to @blancanieves - for reminding me that 7 years skating together is nothing to compared to the consistency of skating with someone for 12 or 18 years.

Last edited:

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I noticed at the end of their FD, the camera zoomed in on her right after they finished and she said “I’m sorry” to him. I didn’t think she made a mistake but on replay one set of her twizzles looked slightly off. I guess that’s why she apologized to him? Did anyone notice any mistake from her?
Ok, first off I love this team so I do not want to sound like the negative one in this thread. I rewatch the FD last night and initially watching it live, at the crack of dawn being so stressed :scream:, I thought he was the nervous one and he obviously made that mistake invalidating an element. But I notice she was actually the most nervous I've seen her. Her feet were not as assured and her placement were a bit off at times. Usually she strikes me as the rock of this team.
Anyway, I'm happy they're staying and hopefully getting many more medals from now on at GPF and Worlds.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
I was kinda worried about their social media silence, as they have not posted anything related to the competition yet.
But according to various Instagram posts they were filming with Madi and Evan too at the Today Show so hopefully we see something soon!
I wonder if they are staying until gala/closing ceremony and when they start training again.

Lara111

Ok, first off I love this team so I do not want to sound like the negative one in this thread. I rewatch the FD last night and initially watching it live, at the crack of dawn being so stressed :scream:, I thought he was the nervous one and he obviously made that mistake invalidating an element. But I notice she was actually the most nervous I've seen her. Her feet were not as assured and her placement were a bit off at times. Usually she strikes me as the rock of this team.
Anyway, I'm happy they're staying and hopefully getting many more medals from now on at GPF and Worlds.
She screwed up second twizzel

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
I don't know anything about financing by the US federation so now they are the Nat champions do they benefit from some support of the fed ? I know they've had difficulty to finance their training and I remember something about not getting any help because they train outside the US. Hopefully they can find a way to get the financing for one more quad.

aftershocks

Banned Member
It would be nice if the U.S. and corporate interests provided the same type of elite athlete support that the B2T provides to Canadian athletes, as recently outlined in the documentary about V/M and Roxanne.

Skittl1321

I don't know anything about financing by the US federation so now they are the Nat champions do they benefit from some support of the fed ? I know they've had difficulty to finance their training and I remember something about not getting any help because they train outside the US. Hopefully they can find a way to get the financing for one more quad.

They get Tier 2 support.
http://www.usfigureskating.org/story?id=84105&menu=TeamUSA

It isn't publically stated what that is; but I suspect it really isn't a ton...

They could get slightly more funding (Tier 1) by being on the Worlds podium. Interestingly, an Olympic medal doesn't seem to change anything (it looks like a "returning" medalist could get slotted into a Team A or B if the fed feels like it).

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
They have been Envelope A:Tier 2 this entire quad. I have never been able to find out either how much the athletes get. I also suspect it’s not a ton. Elite sports are just not funded in the US the way they are in many places. H/D have also been earning increasingly more prize money as their placements have improved.

So, they do get funding, they do get prize money, even being in Canada. They just can’t hold jobs in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information