Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

jtpc

Thrilled with their SD performance yesterday! :) With every skate, they further establish themselves as a team worthy of mid to high 9's. Phenomenal edge quality (clear, distinct entry and exit edges on turns) and wonderful expressive movement. Madison's expressive movement during the partial step sequence is outstanding. I think it's one of the best partial step sequence elements this season (definitely +3 worthy) as the edge quality is fantastic, the interpretation is nuanced, and there is absolute commitment to expressing the rhumba rhythm.

I also like how they thoughtfully set the twizzle sequence to what the music is doing. A smart choreographic choice. The twizzle exit is perfectly timed to match the music, and her expressive body positions that catch the musical accents immediately following the twizzle exit are so great. In my opinion, you don't see that kind of nuanced interpretation and movement of the whole body from the Shibutani's or Chock and Bates.

I really thought they would get a no touch 4 yesterday as every turn edge looked deep, clear, and defined. Hopefully we'll see a step sequence 4 in the free dance. They're absolutely shining this season (free dance is stunning as well, showcasing how wonderful their ability is to interpret a piece of music and deliver a meaningful performance - 2 components that should both be receiving 9.50/9.75). They're in a great spot for the GP Final with a silver here as they would move ahead of Bobrova/Soloviev on the total score tiebreak, and their scores could even be the highest of any other teams who have a 2nd and a 3rd from their GP events. Loving how this is setting them up for US Nationals, as they have already outscored Chock and Bates in both programs, and the Shibutani's in the free.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
Sorry, I thought I saw it posted somewhere that S/K had beaten them on PCS, that's my bad. BUT S/K were entirely too close, and Madison and Zach definitely deserved higher PCS than C/L. If I'm not mistaken though, they did get higher SS, right?

semogal

Beautiful FD tonight. Looking at the protocols they got a level 4 on their serpentine step sequence & 11.11 points! But their spin was just a level 3 tonight. I still think the judges could be a bit more generous on PCS. Madison did bring level 4 face to the party tonight! Our girl was very expressive!!:smokin:

What did you think of Madison's hair? Personally, I like the previous version better.

blancanieves

What did you think of Madison's hair? Personally, I like the previous version better.

I'm as excited about the silver medal as I am about the hair changes! Love the stylized, low pony tail in the SD. It gives her a still elegant, bit more youthful look. And in the FD, I love the hair down because it creates some movement, just like Zach's jacket does, here and there throughout the performance. Blues has a certain quality of abandon, a cadence about it, and I think those little accents with the hair and the jacket help bring out the character of the music even more.

Strong performances again. Congrats!

GreenGan

So what do they need to break the 56/56.5 in PCS ? I'd say enhance the upper body movement and add details to the choreography. They skate very well but it seems a little bit rough around the edges. (Pun intended, I will apologize later :D :blocjudge )

Technically they are very close to V/M and P/C, and have also a lot of +2/+3.. Definitely a couple to watch for next quad. As to Us Nat', I think if they add the details and the sophistication the Shibs have in every program they do, they could pass them. Well that's my opinion. What do you all think?

Anyasnake

They need first consistency, otherwise they'll never see those 56 PCS. The FD (and SD) is a crowd pleaser so that will play. I'm waiting for them to (officially) make the GPF et they have to shine there. It's true that technically they often have an edge. And everything need polishing of course (they could have skated this better). They have 3 good weeks to do so and it is enough.

Marta24

Their skates at both of their GPs have been amazing. It`s really hard to decide who I want as an OBM, but if it`s Madi and Zach I would be super happy. It`s unbelievable how much they have improved over the last few seasons. At Worlds 2015 they were still loosing against all Russian teams and now it will be tough even for B/S to beat them. I hope they can sort out their funding issues and can continue until 2022. They are only starting to breakthrough and I would like to see how much they can still improve.

clairecloutier

I honestly feel they should have won the FD. They are amazing!!!!!!!!! She is so strong, different to the typical style of ice dance, love it. The edges were swoon. Chemistry, second to none.

I kind of felt the same way. I totally enjoyed V/M's FD--and, especially after listening to Charlie White's commentary, I can appreciate how some of the things V/M are doing in that FD are really difficult technically. But, in terms of technique, I thought Madi/Zack were pretty incredible too. The strength and power they bring to everything is stunning. and from an artistic point of view, their dance feels more seamless, more involving, than V/M's. To me it invokes a stronger, more consistent mood. I guess V/M still deserved the win, but I would say that I enjoyed Madi/Zack's FD more. I was more gripped by it. Both are great, though. (And I'd give V/M the nod in the SD.)

I feel like H/D are moving close to the same level as V/M and P/C. Maybe not quite there yet, but they're getting close. And I'm just so happy to see them skating so cleanly and consistently when the pressure is on.

lmarie086

I'm over the moon for them- they delivered in a key moment, and to some extent, I think they stole the show last night. That FD is brilliant; Madison and Zach really come alive with the music, and to be honest, I didn't love the first music cut the first time I heard it. I originally would have preferred the whole FD just to be the Beth Hart song, but it's really grown on me.

Here's to hoping they continue to improve both programs (I think both could use just a few more choreographic touches here and there), and I'll be crossing my fingers that they do qualify for GPF!

Firedancer

Fantastic FD by Madi and Zach last night! They are skating with so much confidence this season. And I don’t know if any teams can show that same chemistry. I’m really happy they were able to win the silver here (despite some questionable judging) and hope they will make the GPF. I feel like that will be important for them if they want to move up. I liked Madison’s hair down. I feel like it fits the program. To raise their PCS, I think consistency is the most important thing.

Scrufflet

Love love love this team! My new American fave! Their SD and FD were both fantastic and their gala number was amazing. There is something about Mad. that reminds me of Albina Denkova (of Denkova/Staviski for those old enough to remember). Her carriage perhaps. Anybody else notice that?

MorganaLefay

Scruffet, yes, she reminds me of Albena too: I think it's the power and sophistication as well as an amazing improvement for both of these ladies over the years. They also seem to have a very similar leg line, no gangly emaciation, just sheer power, control and confidence. Totally agree that they should have won the LP.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Congrats on yet another great performance from them. They have improved a lot over the summer. I hope they can withhold the pressure and keep delivering. I'm pretty confident they can make it to the GPF. Their scores are above B/S. Do they have to beat another team ? With all those tiebreakers, it's hard to follow. I also like their friendship with P/C. Here is Madi after the FD in the K&C giving a shout out to Guillaume for his birthday, she says : "Happy birthday Guigui "

poths

Love love love this team! My new American fave! Their SD and FD were both fantastic and their gala number was amazing. There is something about Mad. that reminds me of Albina Denkova (of Denkova/Staviski for those old enough to remember). Her carriage perhaps. Anybody else notice that?
Interesting comparison, I like it. I agree she has similar traits - power, deep edges - but Madison has a better overall line. I feel like it's a unique blend. What's really interesting to me, is that prior to 2016, I don't remember ever 'seeing' her talent. It's amazing what the right coaches and the right programs can do for a skater.

blancanieves

I'm pretty confident they can make it to the GPF. Their scores are above B/S. Do they have to beat another team ? With all those tiebreakers, it's hard to follow.

As long as C/L doesn't end up with a higher combined total score after Skate America, H/D should qualify, likely alongside V/M, P/C, S/S, W/P and C/B.

I'm dying to see them go head to head against all these teams in neutral territory, before Nationals and the Olympics.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
So I don't post here often but I think it's pretty clear from my posts elsewhere that I am a H/D uber ;)

To answer @cocotaffy 's question: the likely scenario is that there will be 4 teams at the tie break with 1 silver and 1 bronze. The total score will be the tiebreaker, H/D already beat B/S, so they need another team to score less. This team will be either C/L or the one getting bronze this week in France (W/P or B/S).
I think they have good chances as they got bronze with a high score (189.43) - this was actually higher than their silver this week (188.35).

lmarie086

Had a thought - the main criticism I've noticed about the FD is that Madison and Zach could do more to interpret the lyrics; both Charlie White (Olympic channel) and Kurt Browning (CBC) have said as much, and I've also read it on goldenskate. And I actually agree - I think it would really bring the program to another level. The lyrics allude to a woman being in a relationship with a dangerous man, and I'd like to see more evidence of that in their expression.

barbarafan

Had a thought - the main criticism I've noticed about the FD is that Madison and Zach could do more to interpret the lyrics; both Charlie White (Olympic channel) and Kurt Browning (CBC) have said as much, and I've also read it on goldenskate. And I actually agree - I think it would really bring the program to another level. The lyrics allude to a woman being in a relationship with a dangerous man, and I'd like to see more evidence of that in their expression.

ok did not know what the story was....Zach needs to work on scary expression.

blancanieves

ok did not know what the story was....Zach needs to work on scary expression.

Hmm, I don't think the program is supposed to have a detailed narrative. The Team USA article described it as depicting an affair, presumably they heard that from H/D since they were interviewing them. So, that's the mood.

I personally don't like a lot of pantomime or literal depiction of a lyric. I listen to Charlie and Kurt keeping in mind their own personal aesthetic choices as performers, as well.

I like how H/D interpret music, in general. It's one of the qualities I love the most about them. I think perhaps a honing of the energy throughout the performance is what's still being sorted out, as well as greater and greater nuance. But I feel they know exactly where they want to go.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool

I also feel like there is still something to be improved in the interpretation. I wouldn't necessarily want it to be literal or a story, but perhaps more varied. It's obvious that the chemistry/relationship part is there, I would like to see more 'ups and downs' for example some 'negative' tension (not OTT angst) to go with the 'dangerous relationship/affair' part. I don't know how to explain it - but something magnetic a la Stolbova-Klimov 2015 FS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information