Can't Help Falling In Love ... with Hubbell & Donohue (fan thread #2)

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
The most encouraging thing is the 0.5 pcs gap behind the Shibs and ahead of C/B: last year they were a full point behind C/B and two behind the Shibs, + beating C/B even with a small twizzle issue

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I'm going to be a mess during the FD tomorrow - I'll actually get to watch ice dance live for once! But I don't know if that's a good thing; I was nervous about the ladies last night and the men just about killed me tonight...and I'm not an uber for any of them. These days, it's only Hubbell/Donohue :lol:

God, I hope they skate lights out tomorrow. I want this for them so badly.

Last edited:

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
I'm so happy for them!! I hope they enjoy this moment and soak it all in. They've earned it.

Shame about the dropped levels on the spin and step sequence (though I'll have to watch that again to see why it's level 3 instead of level 4, that surprised me).

But I'm just thrilled, and I hope this gives them extra motivation heading into the Olympics.

Off to look for video of the medal ceremony...

topaz

Great moment for those of us who have enjoyed and loved this team since their original season today. I still think they were robbed in regards to the sp level and the dia steps level.

Their edges and speed today were incomparable. The power they skated with today was excellent.

I am so happy for them.

I think I've re-watched their FD like 4 times already.

Last edited:

VGThuy

Congratulations to Hubbell/Donohue. I may not be totally happy with their win, but I truly respect these two as ice dancers and what they bring to the ice. They hit the jackpot with their routines this season and it's nice to see people who kept it up and worked so hard enjoy the rewards for such work. As someone who was a fan of a team who seemingly was being relegated to be in also-ran status in perpetuity until two seasons ago, I know how it feels to feel vindicated. I hope all H/D fans enjoy this moment.

ryanj07

I am so incredibly happy for them! I still couldn't believe it even after the scores were posted. Their reaction was precious. I really hope they can build on this going into the Olympics!

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
What am I waking up to !!!!!!!!!!!! Unbelievable, I'm so thrilled for them, I cried watching the result. I have to say after the SD results and those points difference, I thought it was a done deal so what a shock when I checked the results this morning. They worked so hard and made so many sacrifices to get to that point. They were really inspired to move to Montreal, I can only imagine the great party up there to welcome those two :encore::40beers: :cheer2:

ice crystal

I'm so happy for them!! I hope they enjoy this moment and soak it all in. They've earned it.

Shame about the dropped levels on the spin and step sequence (though I'll have to watch that again to see why it's level 3 instead of level 4, that surprised me).

But I'm just thrilled, and I hope this gives them extra motivation heading into the Olympics.

Off to look for video of the medal ceremony...

Have you found a link to the video of the victory ceremony? I haven't seen it yet, but would love to. Thanks.

levineismine

More considerations, it's almost clear that individual bronze will go to the US team who skates better on the day. I would say the Shibs still have an advantage to take the lead with the best SD (also, how is the rule for starting orders and world standings, are H/D in the last group?), but now H/D closed the PCS gap. Getting highest PCS in the FD was really encouraging here!
From my perception of the FD and what they have said in the season and after the skate, H/D were really concentrating on not getting caught in the moment here with enthusiasm. So for me, their performance here was less intense and emotional e.g. than worlds last year, as they were more restrained. I think their goal for Oly and worlds should be to now balance the two.

mysticchic

I love how Gabriella is their #1 fan, I swear she likes every single tweet I post about them. :cheer2:

I hope I get to watch them compete this season, I'm considering Worlds...
Gabby and Madi are best buddies!
I am so thrilled for these 2. They have been overlooked in their own country! I think it says a lot when the international judges are more willing to give them higher scores. Hopefully they will get asked to skate at SOI or COI. Maybe even get a sponsor.

levineismine

I think as US champions (feels so good to write it!!!) they will be invited to at least some SOI shows. I was thinking about the sponsorship too, sponsors are blind not to offer them one. They finally hit their full potential and world medals are coming!

mysticchic

I think as US champions (feels so good to write it!!!) they will be invited to at least some SOI shows. I was thinking about the sponsorship too, sponsors are blind not to offer them one. They finally hit their full potential and world medals are coming!
I have a feeling they will be offered the tour now. I really hope someone will do a small sponsorship. I know the usfsa is helping get one family member money to go, but it's not enough to cover everything. Madi and Zach will want their Mom's there. Both Mom's work really hard to keep them skating and deserve to go.
It does sound great to say US National Champions doesn't it!
I posted the 1st picture I took of Madi and Zach less then a month after they started to skate together. It was the 1st of many photoshoots we did. One thing I noticed that day was how well they fit together!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....489524293297.271837.691593297&type=3&theater

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Congratulations to Hubbell/Donohue. I may not be totally happy with their win, but I truly respect these two as ice dancers and what they bring to the ice. They hit the jackpot with their routines this season and it's nice to see people who kept it up and worked so hard enjoy the rewards for such work. As someone who was a fan of a team who seemingly was being relegated to be in also-ran status in perpetuity until two seasons ago, I know how it feels to feel vindicated. I hope all H/D fans enjoy this moment.

:respec: to you, girl. The Shibs were in the wilderness for years, a lot of people never "forgave" them that bronze medal that was supposed to go to P/B. I for one hope everybody skates lights out in Korea and the medals go where they go -- with FAIR judging.

I do wonder if the international judges are saying to themselves, now what. Usually when a country has more than one contender they strongly signal who the number one team is and the international judges, or at least some of them, fall in line. (I never thought anybody was going to put Step/Bukin over Bob/Sol, for example.) Now, what a balagan (Hebrew for mess.)

RoseRed

More considerations, it's almost clear that individual bronze will go to the US team who skates better on the day. I would say the Shibs still have an advantage to take the lead with the best SD (also, how is the rule for starting orders and world standings, are H/D in the last group?), but now H/D closed the PCS gap. Getting highest PCS in the FD was really encouraging here!
From my perception of the FD and what they have said in the season and after the skate, H/D were really concentrating on not getting caught in the moment here with enthusiasm. So for me, their performance here was less intense and emotional e.g. than worlds last year, as they were more restrained. I think their goal for Oly and worlds should be to now balance the two.
I have in my notes about the Olympics a section I called rules, including something that says "The starting order in the Short Program or Short Dance segment will be the reverse order of the ISU World Standing placements." I didn't save the source for that, but assuming it's right, here are the current World Standings (Euros points will be added by the Olympics):

1. P/C (4540)
2. B/S (4174)
3. V/M (4120)
4. H/D (4016)
5. C/L (4004)

6. S/S (4002)
7. C/B (3971)
8. W/P (3510)
9. G/F (3100)
10. G/P (2904)

11. S/B (2741)
Etc.

None of the European teams are close behind H/D except C/L, who I'd guess will pass them with the Euros points. But they'd still be final group.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information