Canadian TV coverage 2020/2021

Sonata

What channel’s stream are they using? The British commentator sounds very familiar.

Skate Talker

They are using the ISU's official feed, just like last year since they did not purchase the TV rights. The commentator is Simon someone, familiar to those of us who have watched British Eurosport feeds in the past.

By the way, all the live action plus archives of full segments and individual performances can be found on the ISU's YouTube site here:https://www.youtube.com/user/SkatingISU

I prefer to watch on YouTube because you can pause, go back, go forward etc. while the last time I watched on the CBC website you could only watch live or much later once the stream got archived.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
They are using the ISU's official feed, just like last year since they did not purchase the TV rights. The commentator is Simon someone, familiar to those of us who have watched British Eurosport feeds in the past.
Simon Reed (sp?)
By the way, all the live action plus archives of full segments and individual performances can be found on the ISU's YouTube site here:https://www.youtube.com/user/SkatingISU

I prefer to watch on YouTube because you can pause, go back, go forward etc. while the last time I watched on the CBC website you could only watch live or much later once the stream got archived.
I too am using the ISU YouTube version.

Last edited:

Sonata

Yes! I thought it might be one of the British Eurosport commentators, just not the one who is always enthused (I assume that’s Chris). Love listening to them both on Eurosport.

shutterbug

CBC is broadcasting and streaming a figure skating special on Boxing Day :cheer2:: The Golden Age of Figure Skating

My TV listings describe it as: "Relive the iconic moments in Canadian figure skating history, including early days on the outdoor ice rinks, the first world championship, and Olympic medal winning teams." Time is a bit unclear, could be late morning or early afternoon, so keep an eye on your local listings.

victorskid

CBC is broadcasting and streaming a figure skating special on Boxing Day :cheer2:: The Golden Age of Figure Skating

My TV listings describe it as: "Relive the iconic moments in Canadian figure skating history, including early days on the outdoor ice rinks, the first world championship, and Olympic medal winning teams." Time is a bit unclear, could be late morning or early afternoon, so keep an eye on your local listings.
"Road to the Olympic Games" time slot - 1-4 pm ET on December 26th

Skate Talker

Just noticed this listing myself - actually 1-4:30pm CT so another 1/2 hr of greatness - whee looking forward to it.

Anemone

I'm looking forward to it also. Hoping that they do spend more time airing great performances than having analysts talking.

honey

At about an hour in, we’ve seen a decent amount of fluff, minimal chatting with analysts and the following performances:
  • Osmond 2018 worlds LP
  • Osmond 2018 olympics LP
  • Duhamel/Radford 2016 worlds LP
  • Chan 2011 worlds LP
I’m sure there’s more Chan to come, and of course Virtue/Moir.

I don’t mind the fluff in this. A lot of it I hadn’t seen in a long time, so I’m ok with it. Of course there could be more actual skating, but I am rather enjoying this. But maybe it’s the eggnog talking. :p

ETA: oh good god, they’re choosing to show Chan’s 2013 worlds LP. This was three falls wasn’t it?! Why not just show the glorious short?

Last edited:

honey

Things are getting weird now...the Shibutani’s FD from the team event is being shown :lol:. I’m sure they will be thrilled to hear they’re part of Canadian skating history.

Anemone

Agree @honey - why they showed the 2013 long instead of the short is bizarre.
Even more bizarre was when they got to the V/M portion of the program & 2018, they showed the Free Dance from both the Team event and the Dance event. Why not show the short for one of the two? Much as I love V/M and they gave masterful performances, I don't really want to see the same program twice in 10 minutes.

Erin

Banned Member
Agree @honey - why they showed the 2013 long instead of the short is bizarre.
Even more bizarre was when they got to the V/M portion of the program & 2018, they showed the Free Dance from both the Team event and the Dance event. Why not show the short for one of the two? Much as I love V/M and they gave masterful performances, I don't really want to see the same program twice in 10 minutes.

I thought they made a similar odd choice with showing Osmond’s 2018 LP twice in a row. Why not show her short from one of the events (preferably the Olympics where she skated it better). I only made it through the first hour and then needed to do something else as I couldn’t really focus

sk8girl

The CBC site is now showing live streaming of Worlds starting at 5 am EST on March 24th. The only TV coverage are recap shows on Saturday March 27th at 2 pm & Sunday March 28th at 12 pm.
Hmmm, do we think that's really all they're going to broadcast on TV, or are they likely to add more coverage closer to the time? (Or maybe that's it's on the main channel, but there might be more added on other channels?) That would be a massive decline from previous years, but I honestly haven't been paying attention to the latest TV contracts, etc.

I prefer the live stream for the events I'm most interested in anyway, but was counting on PVRing the TV coverage for the events I'm not willing to get up early for and/or take time off work for...

Skate Talker

Hmmm, do we think that's really all they're going to broadcast on TV, or are they likely to add more coverage closer to the time? (Or maybe that's it's on the main channel, but there might be more added on other channels?) That would be a massive decline from previous years, but I honestly haven't been paying attention to the latest TV contracts, etc.

I prefer the live stream for the events I'm most interested in anyway, but was counting on PVRing the TV coverage for the events I'm not willing to get up early for and/or take time off work for...
I'm not going to be surprised if that is in fact all we get to see on Canadian TV. They have been very reluctant to pay for rights to anything more plus there is always the big conflict with NHL broadcasts both on the main network and on Sportsnet, which has been their preferred broadcast partner for years now.

If CBC is true to form, not only will they live stream but also archive so you can watch later, (though sometimes they are not so speedy on getting the archive version up on the website). However up to now, CBC has not blocked those with Canadian IP addresses from streaming and viewing archives on the ISU's YouTube page. To date I have always been able to download the archived files from the ISU site to save in my personal archives. The thing is that probably only the CBC televised version will have CBC commentators so if that's a big thing for you you will probably be out of luck. For streaming coverage we are likely to be limited to whatever commentary ISU decides to use.

I tend to watch the ISU YouTube channel because it has pause, move-back, move-forward and jump-to-live capabilities, which is much more convenient for a long day of skating. (Unfortunately this may also contribute to CBC thinking the interest in skating in Canada is lower than it really is.)

Judy

I'm not going to be surprised if that is in fact all we get to see on Canadian TV. They have been very reluctant to pay for rights to anything more plus there is always the big conflict with NHL broadcasts both on the main network and on Sportsnet, which has been their preferred broadcast partner for years now.

If CBC is true to form, not only will they live stream but also archive so you can watch later, (though sometimes they are not so speedy on getting the archive version up on the website). However up to now, CBC has not blocked those with Canadian IP addresses from streaming and viewing archives on the ISU's YouTube page. To date I have always been able to download the archived files from the ISU site to save in my personal archives. The thing is that probably only the CBC televised version will have CBC commentators so if that's a big thing for you you will probably be out of luck. For streaming coverage we are likely to be limited to whatever commentary ISU decides to use.

I tend to watch the ISU YouTube channel because it has pause, move-back, move-forward and jump-to-live capabilities, which is much more convenient for a long day of skating. (Unfortunately this may also contribute to CBC thinking the interest in skating in Canada is lower than it really is.)
I suspect there have been a lot of layoffs.

Lil Sarah

In the past there is usually more dates and times added to the schedule but this year I don’t really know what will happen. Since last season’s Grand Prix I also started to watch the ISU stream because I could watch when I was ready and fast forward through some things (especially with time changes). If CBC showed more of Worlds though I would watch. I guess we will see

Japanfan

CBC's contract for FS expired last year and was not renewed. The network wasn't even going to cover Worlds in Montreal, but then stepped up to do so because the host nation was required to provide a host broadcaster.

Sadly, I don't think we are going to see any FS coverage from CBC going forward. CTV has Skate Canada and Nationals, but its contract will also expire at some point.

Thank goodness for Eurosport coverage/the internet.

sk8girl

Thanks for all the insights everyone! I prefer live streams with a minimum of fluff anyway, but it will still be kind of sad if this really is the end of meaningful coverage on Canadian TV. I always record the TV coverage even if I am mostly watching the live stream, so that I can fast forward through it later for certain things like interviews.

On the bright side, this further validates my decision to greatly reduce my cable package in the very near future. :) (My only concern with cancellng all those TSN and Sportsnet channels, among others, had been that they could still be useful for skating coverage.) And presumably Skate Canada will post interviews and such on social media, so all is good.

victorskid

The CBC Sports (limited) TV schedule and the full live streaming schedule have now been updated to show Daylight Time (EDT for me): https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figureskating/broadcast

Beware - I noticed that the start time for the Men SP is not in sync with the actual start time on the full time schedule (where it starts 1/2 an hour earlier): http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/WC2021_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

Apparently, we will continue to be able to watch the ISU YouTube live stream as well: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...d-skating-championships-2021?templateParam=15

Last edited:

Judy

Thanks for all the insights everyone! I prefer live streams with a minimum of fluff anyway, but it will still be kind of sad if this really is the end of meaningful coverage on Canadian TV. I always record the TV coverage even if I am mostly watching the live stream, so that I can fast forward through it later for certain things like interviews.

On the bright side, this further validates my decision to greatly reduce my cable package in the very near future. :) (My only concern with cancellng all those TSN and Sportsnet channels, among others, had been that they could still be useful for skating coverage.) And presumably Skate Canada will post interviews and such on social media, so all is good.
I know for the 2018 Olympics I watched it on the CBC app for all the figure skating but no really confident about worlds etc. in the future.

Japanfan

I'm watching the Eurosport coverage on You Tube, with commentary - BONUS!

I would never have hunted it down if CBC had archived its footage, which it has done in the past. Still annoyed that it didn't do that, seems like an oversight? How much does it cost to archive stream, FFS?

I had trouble finding the ISU stream, I think because CBC was streaming the event and ISU can't be hosted when there is a national/local stream.

Colonel Green

Skaters who made the cut for the first CBC TV broadcast:

Pairs - Canadians + final group
Men - Jason + final group
Ice dance - Canadians + final group

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I'm watching the Eurosport coverage on You Tube, with commentary - BONUS!

I would never have hunted it down if CBC had archived its footage, which it has done in the past. Still annoyed that it didn't do that, seems like an oversight? How much does it cost to archive stream, FFS?

I had trouble finding the ISU stream, I think because CBC was streaming the event and ISU can't be hosted when there is a national/local stream.
Yes it was available on the ISU YouTube channel, all of it.
Yes CBC archived the whole thing - they're just a bit slow to do it (day after maybe?) - they have little money so probably short staffed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information