Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedwitch

A thought: maybe Stephen's working with Raf but Lee will still be his full time coach ala Buttle.

greenapple

Apparently the full-time coaching relationship with Barkell has already come to an end. He might work with him when he is in Toronto. Doesn't sound like they parted on bad terms.

RoseRed

It was posted on another board that Lee has taken the position at Granite Club (no source given).

Sylvia

TBD
Conrad Orzel posted an IG story from Colorado Springs tonight. I believe Lee Barkell is one of the coaches USFS invited to their Jump camp, May 9-11 in CO Springs, so I assume Conrad will be his demonstrator?

Sylvia

TBD
This link originally was posted in the Programs/Choreographers thread last month:
Joseph Phan
FP Piano Concerto No. 5 (Emperor Concerto) by Beethoven
http://lastwords.pythonanywhere.com/post/25/
This lengthy, detailed Q&A with Joseph was published on April 12 in a blog created by Lara Pena called We are the last words.
Excerpt:
... Now that the season is over, Ghislain [Briand], my other technical coach, he is really fixing me in every little detail. Sometimes it’s frustrating because during this competitive season, he never really corrected me and now he corrects every little detail, and I’m like, “Why didn’t you correct me earlier?” But he said he wanted me “to be comfortable and confident before a competition because if I keep correcting you, you won’t feel as good.”
Next year I’m hoping that the goals I set this year will happen next year and I’m training really hard now and really intensely. Even if my competitive season is over, I’m still really working hard because I want to get new quads, like the quad Lutz or the quad Sal[chow]. I want to achieve great stuff next year.

Based on his IG he currently is in China (I assume he is part of the second Team Orser seminar being held there from May 20-24).

Last edited:

Rock2

The whole 'one spot for Montreal' situation continues to pain me this long after world's.

I feel so bad for the many talented athletes who pretty much know that this year is just about training for nationals and a slot on the national team to get more opportunities for next year.

On paper I wouldn't want to send anyone other than Keegan to skate in Montreal as having the most realistic shot at cracking top 10 under pressure conditions. Nam maybe, if you twist my arm almost to the point of breaking because he brings back a consistent 4T for this season.

Although I'd be hard pressed to send anyone else to the wolves, I must admit I'm curious to see what Phan puts out this year. If he has a real good summer and adds more jumping content as he's discussing, I'd be happy to lobby for the SC host pick to see if he's ready to step up. There's a legit chance he has a breakout year in seniors this year sort of like the year Chan showed up on the GP with a 3A and started winning medals almost immediately. Medals not realistic for Phan but opening some international eyes certainly is.

Out of the entire fascinating crop of Canadian juniors and seniors, I'll be zeroing in on his development the most.

RoseRed

The whole 'one spot for Montreal' situation continues to pain me this long after world's.

I feel so bad for the many talented athletes who pretty much know that this year is just about training for nationals and a slot on the national team to get more opportunities for next year.

On paper I wouldn't want to send anyone other than Keegan to skate in Montreal as having the most realistic shot at cracking top 10 under pressure conditions. Nam maybe, if you twist my arm almost to the point of breaking because he brings back a consistent 4T for this season.

Although I'd be hard pressed to send anyone else to the wolves, I must admit I'm curious to see what Phan puts out this year. If he has a real good summer and adds more jumping content as he's discussing, I'd be happy to lobby for the SC host pick to see if he's ready to step up. There's a legit chance he has a breakout year in seniors this year sort of like the year Chan showed up on the GP with a 3A and started winning medals almost immediately. Medals not realistic for Phan but opening some international eyes certainly is.

Out of the entire fascinating crop of Canadian juniors and seniors, I'll be zeroing in on his development the most.
It seems like he's staying junior based on his attendance at the Next Gen camp. It's possible he could have been there in a leadership role like Conrad was, and not going to be on the team, but that's not the impression I got from the social media I saw. But if he's on the Next Gen team, then he'll be doing the JGP and not the GP.

barbarafan

It seems like he's staying junior based on his attendance at the Next Gen camp. It's possible he could have been there in a leadership role like Conrad was, and not going to be on the team, but that's not the impression I got from the social media I saw. But if he's on the Next Gen team, then he'll be doing the JGP and not the GP.
I suppose he will only skate internationally as junior due to senior spots.. Hopefully he will be sent to a senior B as you just never know what is going to happen.

coppertop1

I'm still shaking my head over the irony. We were worried about going down to one spot for our women, but we didn't. Gabby and Alaine did their part to save that second spot. I don't think we were expecting to drop to one spot for our Men's. It sucks. I think Keegan is our best shot at getting back the second spot.

We have several talented young men. The key word is young. I don't think we should rush them

RoseRed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information