1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Canadian Men 2017-18 season news & updates

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jul 11, 2017.

1. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Patrick has said he's focused on the team medal - here:
    https://bevsmithwrites.wordpress.com/2018/01/06/patrick-chan-pulling-himself-to-the-finish/

2. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I certainly hope Patrick decides to do the long program too. He is their best chance to do well and try to get that Team gold. I don't see any of the other guys being able to do it.

livetoskate and alilou like this.
  3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I think that Kevin's the frontrunner for the second spot, but only if he absolutely nails it. Keegan Messing has had stronger international results this year, though, and is a stronger 'performer'. He was 5 after the SP at Skate Canada, and 5th overall at NHK this year. He also came 3 at the Autumn Classic, behind only Javi and Yuzu (who skated disastrously, but still!)

Nic Nadeau had the highest scoring LP of the Canadian men at Skate Canada this year, and was only 2 points out of bronze at Canadians last year. He also has the Junior World silver from 2 years ago (which isn't in the criteria, but would probably be considered). He's also the 'showman' and has some momentum. He also only had one GP to base off of this year, compared to Kevin, Keegan, and Nam's two.

You can never discount Liam, especially since he's landed quads and a 3A in competition this year. If he pulls it together and comes 2, Skate Canada would have a hard time explaining overlooking him, after he 'stepped aside' for Worlds 2 years ago.

And you never know which Nam is going to show up. Can't count out the 2015 Canadian champ/5th at Worlds, though he's definitely been on a downslide ever since then. He is the reigning national bronze medallist, though...

livetoskate likes this.
  4. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Canada won't have the same problems the US had at Nationals because really none of their skaters not named Patrick Chan have done much internationally this season so whoever finishes 2nd is most likely on the team. With the US men it was different since as a whole they were a lot more successful and there were so many skaters to choose from.

5. Lara

Lara It's JJ style!

I may love Patrick but he has not earned the right to be rested in the team event. And I'll be genuinely pissed if he is.

Picton likes this.
  6. sk8girl

sk8girl Active Member

I agree. Bizarrely, men are Canada's weakest discipline right now. We need Patrick doing the team long and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't. He has said that the team event is important to him, and resting him for the individual event is less important than it would be if he was still a strong medal hope there. Even if he misses a couple of jumps in the team long he will still likely score better (probably MUCH better) than whoever gets the second spot.

I am really cheering for Nic to make the team and I think he has a shot, but I wouldn't want him doing the team long - too inconsistent and too much pressure... And Kevin has not been skating well at all, unfortunately - I just don't see him making the team.

7. starrynight

starrynight Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confident Patrick will do both the short and the long. The team event is why Patrick is still skating and hasn't retired in my opinion.

8. screech

That, and the record 10th title.

This year has been a bit of an anomaly in some ways for Patrick. Overall, he's still head and shoulders better than the other Canadian men, if things go okay but:
    Nic beat Patrick in the LP at Skate Canada (155.20 vs 151.27)
    Both Keegan AND LIAM have higher season's best scores than Patrick (248.30 at Autumn Classic and 248.29 at US Classic). Those two men are on the top 20 list for season's best overall scores (ranked 18 and 19). Patrick is not.

FWW, Patrick, Nam, and Keegan are all on the season's best list for the SP (ranked 6, 13, 17), and Liam and Kevin are on the season's best list for the LP (ranked 18 and 19). LIAM HAS THE HIGHEST RANKED LP SCORE OF ALL CANADIAN MEN THIS SEASON! And with a non-clean skate. Never thought that would be something I'd say.

That said, Skate Canada was probably one of the worst skates of Patrick's career. If he skates somewhat decently at Canadians, his record will be achieved. His 'body of work' is more than enough to validate his selection for the team, even if he brings a phone book to centre ice and reads it for 4.5 minutes.

Debrah and grimey like this.
  9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I hope Patrick and Gabby do both. Kaetlyn has a real chance at an individual medal and should focus on that. Wrong thread, but I also feel very strongly that if Weaver and Poje are our number 2 team they should be allowed to skate a portion of the team event. Actually, think this should be the priority.

10. nimi

nimi Well-Known Member

ICYMI: Yesterday's Novice & Jr men's SP events are now uploaded on Skate Canada's Dailymotion channel.

11. screech

I think Liam should just not be allowed to wear any sort of strap ever again.

I love that program, but seriously, two years in a row where something with a strap happens in the exact same short program, during the exact same spin. AND THE GUY FINALLY LANDS THE AXEL!!

Dude is due to win the lottery or something someday.

12. screech

Not a fan of Elladj, but I really enjoyed that SP from him. Probably his best work.

I want to smack Keegan upside the head a little - based on scores, if he'd done the quad, he'd be neck and neck with Patrick.

Despite the mistakes, I actually think Patrick's scores were lowballed compared to the others. IMO he should be more than 4 points ahead of skaters with lower quality spins, footwork and overall skating, and who made major mistakes as well.

mag, marysy, barbarafan and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia Onto 4CC in Taipei!

Beverley Smith on THE MIRACLE OF ELLADJ BALDE (4th after the Men's SP at Canadians)
    Excerpts:
    :encore:

14. el henry

el henry still fangirling for Toller

After all he has been through, I am so so so :cheer2: that Elladj had that wonderful SP at Canadian Nats.

Another of my favorite quotes:
    Balde says the crowd reaction was “the most beautiful gift they could ever have given me. My performance here was for my audience...."

:respec: for Elladj.

15. screech

Okay, Elladj just skated, and I smiled throughout. I've never gotten the fuss over him, but this Canadians is the first time I've enjoyed one, let alone two of his programs.

And I LOVED Keegan, next to skate, but going over to both Elladj and Bruno (Elladj's coach) to congratulate him, with a huge smile on his face.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    luckiest1, kwanfan1818, mag and 15 others like this.
  16. screech

If Nam hadn't been a bit lowballed in the SP, he'd be going to the Games. I feel bad for him, missing second by just one point, but I'm glad Keegan is second. He's been pretty consistent all year, and is a better 'showman'.

I'm predicting it will be Keegan and Nam for Worlds - highly doubt Patrick will go to those, and I think Nam will go out with something to prove there.

17. coppertop1

coppertop1 Well-Known Member

I smiled through Elladj and Keegan's performances. So entertaining. Give me that any day. Reynolds in fifth. Ouch. Darn URs. Congrats, Patrick. You have left your mark.

mag, leigh466, livetoskate and 3 others like this.
  18. Dobre

Dobre Well-Known Member

alilou, Coco, floridaice and 7 others like this.
  19. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

I'm assuming it's Joseph and Conrad for Junior Worlds.

Four Continents will be interesting as to who will accept (this being likely final seasons for Elladj and Kevin, next in line Roman and Liam).

livetoskate likes this.
  20. screech

I wonder if Elladj will accept. It'd be great for him to go, but he may want to end on the high of those skates.

21. WanderlustTO

WanderlustTO Well-Known Member

I felt bad for Nam. I wanted him to make the team and he came so close!

He is still young and has at least one more cycle in him, more likely 2. So there will be other opportunities.

Still, tonight must be crushing for him.

dramagrrl likes this.
  22. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

If Patrick wants a metal at these Olympics, he better skate the team event. He lost one entire jumping pass and didn’t do great on some other passes last night. He got incredibly high performance scores. I don’t think he will get that gift at an international event

23. ChiquitaBanana

ChiquitaBanana Well-Known Member

We all know that, Chan himself, that he is not in contention for a medal in the individual event. Did you just realize it? ;)

WildRose, Erin, mag and 1 other person like this.
  24. grimey

grimey Skating + photography = my heaven :)

luckiest1, marigold, Dobre and 3 others like this.
  25. levineismine

levineismine I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool

Piper Gilles posted on Instagram a story with Messing getting their Oly team gear, so I guess it's more or less official

26. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Well at least some posters seem not to realize it. Why else would they think he should "rest" for the men's event. LOL.

ChiquitaBanana likes this.
  27. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I live in denial. I believe!!!

Also, it would hardly be a shock if all of the men just bomb.

28. Seerek

Seerek Well-Known Member

ChiquitaBanana likes this.
  29. skatingguy

skatingguy Well-Known Member

Wordpress Media - National Post

Seerek likes this.
  30. binbinwinwin

binbinwinwin Well-Known Member

Patrick just said on PJ Kwong's livestream on Facebook that his priority is the Team Event and that he wants to skate both programs.