Canadian Ice Dance 2019/2020 season: News and Updates

kates8

I am totally out of the loop but noticed a posting on twitter a few days ago from Piper that sounded discouraged - any idea what that is in regards to? I would have thought this year it would be pretty smooth sailing for them - at least domestically - based on what we understand to be happening.
I think she replied to someone that she was just tired!

Sylvia

TBD
From the U.S. Dance thread (and Lake Placid ice dance competition thread in Kiss & Cry):
...North American Cup novices competed their pattern dances today. 15 novice teams! (7 from Canada).
Standings after 2 pattern dances: https://www.facebook.com/icedancecom/photos/a.10156557072937939/10156557545222939/?type=3&theater

The 7 NAC Canadian novice teams are:
[new] Emma Goodstadt (N22 at Challenge) & Michael Barsoum CAN (N5)
Mia Saunders & William Oddson CAN N6
Erica Estepa & Nolen Hickey CAN N13
Jordyn Lewis & Noah McMillan CAN N14
Sandrine Gauthier & Quentin Thieren CAN PN1
Savanna Martel & Kobi Chant CAN PN3
Hailey Yu & Brendan Giang CAN PN4

Juliette Shadid & Lucas Shadid (CAN N12 last season) are representing USA here.

ETA on Thursday morning:

For those who don't have access to the Lake Placid ice dance competition thread in Kiss & Cry, I've posted the link to IDC's tweeted photos of the Senior/Junior International RD starting orders in the Ice Hall discussion thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...antastic-2019-2020.105567/page-9#post-5613098

Last edited:

Colonel Green

For those who don't have access to the Lake Placid ice dance competition thread in Kiss & Cry, I've posted the link to IDC's tweeted photos of the Senior/Junior International RD starting orders in the Ice Hall discussion thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...antastic-2019-2020.105567/page-9#post-5613098
Looks like there'll be a considerable Canadian presence, especially at the junior level.

The Champs teams are getting the most out of their trip east, which makes sense financially.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Looks like there'll be a considerable Canadian presence, especially at the junior level.

The Champs teams are getting the most out of their trip east, which makes sense financially.

They have done this for many years, even when the Minto event was happening the same weekend :)

Colonel Green

Lake Placid International RD results:

1. Bashynska/Beaumont - 55.48
2. Bronsard/Bouaraguia - 54.70
3. Cesanek/Yehorov (USA) - 53.86
4. Galiyanova/Lochhead - 53.83
5. Brown/Brown (USA) - 53.66
6. Makita/Gunara - 51.68

The TES/PCS breakdown is fascinating.

The judges clearly loved Emmy & Aissa's performance, because they won the PCS by more than a point (and the team that came second in PCS, Oona and Gage, are in fifth place); they've got a 2.25 PCS lead over Nadiia & Peter, who are in first place because they dominated the TES (winning that by over a point compared to the next team, and over three points better than what Emmy & Aissa managed).

The judges really were not feeling Miku & Tyler, though. They had the third-best TES, but were way behind the other teams in PCS (almost four points behind Emmy & Aissa).

Colonel Green

Via twitter, Bashynska/Beaumont won by nearly 5 points.
Yeah, I admit I was slightly surprised there. After their comparatively underwhelming PCS mark in the RD, I was wondering whether they'd be vulnerable in the FD with the pattern out of the way. But they ran away with it.

RoseRed

Yeah, I admit I was slightly surprised there. After their comparatively underwhelming PCS mark in the RD, I was wondering whether they'd be vulnerable in the FD with the pattern out of the way. But they ran away with it.
FD breakdown: https://twitter.com/AnythingGOE/status/1157390531166650368

Bashynska/Beaumont won TES by ~3 points and PCS by ~1. Br/Bo were 2nd in PCS and 5th in TES (2nd-5th were close though). Makita/Gunara were 5th in PCS and 6th in TES. G/L were 2nd in TES and 6th in PCS.

Zazy

Via twitter, Bashynska/Beaumont won by nearly 5 points. Bronsard/Bouaraguia were 2nd. Galiyanova/Lochhead were 5th, Makita/Gunara were 6th and Kam/Carter were 9th. https://twitter.com/pas_deChat

They loved Bronsard/Bouaraguia's David Bowie FD.

That twitter account posted youtube videos of the RDs - Emmy Bronsard has grown a lot since last year! They're also much more polished.

Colonel Green

Lake Placid junior videos that I've seen so far:

Bashynska/Beaumont
RD: I liked this more in the second performance. Favourite bit, them miming drinking tea on the "cup of tea" line in the middle of the Teatime Foxtrot pattern.
FD: Skated without flubs this time (at least visible ones; without protocols we obviously can't tell the levels), very nice piece, if not as distinctive as what some of the other juniors are doing. Based on two seasons' worth of their programs, Carol and Juris evidently think these two work best with very classical ice dance packaging.

Bronsard/Bouaraguia
RD: Emmy is an absolute star. There are going to be a lot of Cabaret programs this season, so that may be a bit of a challenge, but the music cuts in this are really good. Aissa seems to be skating a bit more confidently than last year, though the video quality means we don't get as much in terms of facial expression, etc.

Makita/Gunara
RD: Super-adorable.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Bronsard/Bouaraguia
RD: Emmy is an absolute star. There are going to be a lot of Cabaret programs this season, so that may be a bit of a challenge, but the music cuts in this are really good.

I thought the cuts were frightful. :scream: They skated it well, but yegads. Why so many choreographers give these soundtracks the Freddy Kreuger treatment is beyond me.

Colonel Green

While things may shift a bit (especially in terms of the Russian assignments), it looks like Natalie and Bruce have got a pretty favourable field at JGP Latvia. They could take the silver medal there.

Isabel and Jacob become the first new team to debut on the JGP; assuming that twelve of Canada's fourteen spots are going to the returning veteran teams, that leaves one further spot remaining for somebody else.

Dobre

While things may shift a bit (especially in terms of the Russian assignments), it looks like Natalie and Bruce have got a pretty favourable field at JGP Latvia. They could take the silver medal there.

Have they signed up for anything this summer after withdrawing from Minto?

Colonel Green

JGP dance assignments announced and otherwise known so far:

France
1. Bronsard/Bouaraguia
2. McIsaac/Circelli

USA
1. Galiyanova/Lochead
2. Makita/Gunara

Latvia
1. D'Alessandro/Waddell
2. McQuilkin/Portz

Russia
1. Bashynska/Beaumont
2. ??

Poland
1. ??
2. ??

Croatia
1. Bashynska/Beaumont
2. ??

Italy
1. D'Alessandro/Waddell
2. ??

It's somewhat notable, considering that these JGP assignments are going to determine who goes to the Youth Olympics, that there's yet to be a JGP head-to-head between any of the four teams that are really in contention for the two spots.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

Alas, no Danadians or Tigger & Eeyore at Championnats, which was a bit underwhelming, but we did get to see Carolane and Shane's RD, finally. Tech issues aside (it's early), it seems like a fine program, though since it's from a jukebox musical it doesn't particularly "feel" Broadway/musical to me, it's just a Four Seasons program.

Alicia and Paul did make their senior debut. I don't think "Big Spender" really fits Alicia at all, but for them this season is just about working on their skills and hopefully making a decent impression at Nationals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information