Canadian Ice Dance 2019/2020 season: News and Updates

starrynight

They have not been added to "Rock the Rink" as of yet, I gather?

Not as far as I know. Doing that tour last year ended up causing them a lot of online drama in the end. But who knows if that would affect their decision to do it again. Probably not in the scheme of getting a pay cheque.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Not as far as I know. Doing that tour last year ended up causing them a lot of online drama in the end. But who knows if that would affect their decision to do it again. Probably not in the scheme of getting a pay cheque.
What kind of online drama :confused:

angi

Honestly, it feels like you are overselling the behavior of a few (horrible) internet trolls. W/P seemed to love doing the show, hard to imagine their entire decision-making process being derived by unfortunate online behavior, especially when it's mostly lost in a sea of supportive messages (same goes for them only doing a two months tour they don't really want to do just for "getting a paycheque").

Last edited:

Dobre

I have to agree. We have enough of our own trolls on the boards. There's no need to drag extra ones into the conversation. And there's no such thing as a top dance team that doesn't get negative commentary here, there, or elsewhere from fans of other teams.

It is possible W&P will do the tour, but that is & was always just speculation on our part as observers. It wasn't implied at all in Kaitlyn's message. Perhaps Andrew is getting started on his other plans prior to the start of the tour.

aml78

Rock the Rink may not be able to afford to add any more skaters to their roster so WeaPo May have missed their opportunity there anyway

RoseRed

Rock the Rink may not be able to afford to add any more skaters to their roster so WeaPo May have missed their opportunity there anyway
Capellini/Lanotte were originally announced for Rock the Rink and then dropped out, so presumably they could afford another team.

angi

That's not true, the tour management account stated several times that more skaters will be announced around August.

puglover

Well I thought they were still adding skaters as well and WeaPo always have great show programs. I really hope they are doing that tour if they are not continuing at all as amateurs.

Colonel Green

Natalie and Bruce confirmed that they got JGP Latvia on their Instagram Q&A.

2019/20 NextGen ice dance:
  • Isabel McQuilkin & Jake Portz
  • Miku Makita & Tyler Gunara
  • Kiera Kam & Mathew Carter
  • Olivia McIsaac & Corey Circelli
  • Irina Galiyanova & Grayson Lochhead
  • Sophia Kagolovskaya & Kieran MacDonald
  • Emmy Bronsard & Aissa Bouaraguia
  • Nadiia Bashynska & Peter Beaumont
  • Natalie D'Alessandro & Bruce Waddell

RoseRed

Fabbri/Ayer have switched coaches to Gadbois (X).

Also, Jason Chan is skating for Australia now with Holly Harris, and Hannah Lim and Ye Quan have teamed up to skate for Korea (Edit - the post has now been changed to say that they will skate for Canada). And confirmation that the new junior team Verrelli/Lewis is training at Gadbois. She was there last season, as a novice with her old partner.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Canada posted their JGP Courchevel assignments on their website last week and the ice dance teams listed are Emmy Bronsard & Aissa Bouaraguia and Olivia McIsaac & Corey Circelli.

ETA:

Hope McLean & Liam Fawcett (new, right?) are the only Canadian Senior ice dance team listed in the Minto RD starting order while 27 Junior teams (25 Canadian? Yoshida/Nishiyama JPN & Buch-Weeke/Woodcock DEN) are listed in the Minto SD starting order (JP & DEN): https://skateontario.org/results/19S1/19S1JuniorDanceRD1SO.pdf
Dance events are scheduled for Thursday and Friday (July 25-26) and a Minto competition thread will be started in the Kiss & Cry section.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

So, the Minto junior dance wasn't quite as big a battle royale as it could have been, due to D'Alessandro/Waddell and Bronsard/Bouaraguia pulling out, but we still had four of the top six remaining junior teams from last season. Assorted comments:

- none of the other teams present seem like they're likely to make a really strong case for a JGP spot this year, though even if the aforementioned top six each get two there's still two left over for others.

- the two Scarborough FSC teams have the most intricate choreography of the bunch, to the point where it's kind of posing problems, particularly around the twizzles; it's early days, of course.

- Makita & Gunara have the best pair of programs, of those skaters were I was able to see both (I missed Galiyanova & Lochhead's RD due to going to the theatre, so I can't evaluate their two programs; they have a really interesting free program, and if they can ever skate it to its potential, it will really be something).

Dobre

I'd guess Canada will send out a couple of the novice medalists from last season. They'll benefit from the experience. We'll see what happens in the other summer dance events. You see some big mistakes in debut events that often get cleaned up quite a bit by the second. It's nice that there are all 14 spots so that some of the upcoming athletes may gain that experience. And perhaps a slightly bumpy first event won't be as devastating to the more experienced athletes' chances for a second event as has been the case the last couple years.

:cheer2:Still happy for Makita & Gunara today! Wish someone had a copy of their Hairspray RD program so I could share it with fellow dance fanatics; but we'll get it eventually.

RoseRed

I'd guess Canada will send out a couple of the novice medalists from last season. They'll benefit from the experience. We'll see what happens in the other summer dance events. You see some big mistakes in debut events that often get cleaned up quite a bit by the second. It's nice that there are all 14 spots so that some of the upcoming athletes may gain that experience. And perhaps a slightly bumpy first event won't be as devastating to the more experienced athletes' chances for a second event as has been the case the last couple years.

:cheer2:Still happy for Makita & Gunara today! Wish someone had a copy of their Hairspray RD program so I could share it with fellow dance fanatics; but we'll get it eventually.
Kagolovskaya/MacDonald (N1) and McQuilkin/Portz (N3) are both on the subs list from the first JGP.

puglover

I am totally out of the loop but noticed a posting on twitter a few days ago from Piper that sounded discouraged - any idea what that is in regards to? I would have thought this year it would be pretty smooth sailing for them - at least domestically - based on what we understand to be happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information