Canadian Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

starrynight

Seems like Igor would be available, as he no longer has any top teams and they are already working with him for choreography. He has his pros and cons but he is a good technical coach and doesn't have the one big con that Morozov has.

They already train part time with Igor and Pasquale at Novi in Detroit. Igor was in the Kiss n Cry with them at Worlds.

They were in Novi for a stretch prior to Worlds. Yura Min and others were posting videos of Andrew getting cake and balloons at the rink for his birthday.

Seems like a good arrangement as they can get the benefit of Igor/Pasquale's coaching but also be able to maintain a home base in New Jersey (which I understand they like a lot).

Last edited:

Dobre

Heh, yes, I almost mentioned that.

Canadian dance teams were a bit scarce on the Grand Prix this season (especially outside of SCI, where you had three teams, and then NHK and IdF each had one), so this fall will be a big change in that regard. Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen are all seeded and guaranteed two events. Lajoie/Lagha are on the top 24 season's best list and I suspect will end up with two at the end of the day, maybe including a host spot. Soucisse/Firus are in the world standing chart, but I kind of think they may end up with only one.

SC can control this. They have three teams guaranteed two non-host spots and two teams guaranteed one. They could invite one top team and use the other two invites for host picks among Lajoie & Lagha, Soucisse & Firus, and Sales & Wamsteeker. SC may not choose to do this if it wishes to give two Skate Canada berths to top-3 teams; but it is within their power to do so and to determine the criteria used to make those host pick selections. (They could also trade spots to try to get L&L or S&F a second spot. In dance alone, USA, FRA, and RUS all have teams that need invitations. And that doesn't even take into account the singles & pairs skaters from host countries who could use them). Whether SC wants to go out on a limb for a team that finished 5th at Canadian Nationals, I don't know. But it's within SC's power to get both L&L and S&F two spots if Skate Canada chooses to prioritize such a thing.

Sylvia

TBD
Excellent interview with Kaitlin Weaver on CBC's Players Own Voice.

https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/playersownvoice-H6FKYOq6-20181110.mp3
Thanks! Here's the summary:

Kaitlyn Weaver on turning setbacks into successes [mp3 file: runs 00:23:07]

Kaitlyn Weaver is one of Canada's most celebrated figure skaters. But the three time world champion, two time Canadian champion, and two time Olympian's road to success hasn't always been a smooth ride. Kaitlyn and her partner, Andrew Poje, missed being on the Canadian Figure Skating Team Event that won gold at PyeongChang - but turned the disappointment around almost immediately with killer performances at the worlds. Listen as Kaitlyn opens up about the highs and lows of her career, how she finds motivation in the setbacks, and what Canada has come to mean for the American born skater.

Host Anastasia Bucsis, Two-time Canadian Olympic speedskater, brings her unique backstory to funny, friendly conversations with high performance athletes. No formulaic jock talk here ... these are buddies who understand each other, and help us do the same.

ETA:

Copying over a couple of NextGen Camp dance-related posts into this thread:
Carol Lane posted a photo from the first day.
@RoseRed spotted these these dance teams on social media:
Bronsard/Bouaraguia [J6]
Galiyanova/Lochhead [J7]
Bashynska/Beaumont [J10]
Isabel McQuilkin/Jacob Portz [N3]
Marjorie Lajoie is evidently there in some capacity, as she posted some photos with other ice dance girls.
3 photos: Olivia McIsaac [J8 with Circelli]; Natalie D'Alessandro [J3 with Waddell]; Emmy Bronsard

Also: Sophia Kagolvskaya/Kieran MacDonald [N1]

Last edited:

Lutzlvr

LOVED this interview. Kaitlyn was open and honest about so many things. Especially loved how candid she was about her disappointment of not being included in the Olympic team event. She addressed, with class and humility, how it felt to be behind Tessa and Scott, essentially in their shadow for a decade. Don’t know who the interviewer was but towards the end of the conversation, she told Kaitlyn that she would generously give her a rating of “a 7 out of 10”. What?!? :confused::confused::wall::revenge: Was the interviewer trying to be funny?

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Don’t know who the interviewer was but towards the end of the conversation, she told Kaitlyn that she would generously give her a rating of “a 7 out of 10”. What?!? :confused::confused::wall::revenge: Was the interviewer trying to be funny?

I believe Kaitlyn and Anastasia seem to be friends through Paige Lawrence. So, I'm going to go with friendly banter.

Well she did say she gives most people a 6, so I guess Kaitlin did well.

Even better. ;)

starrynight

I think this is an old podcast? I remember listening to it ages ago. I think it was recorded in the offseason last year. This was all before significant events like Denis Ten's passing, the start of the 2018/2019 season and the Thank You Canada Tour.

Dobre

Same questions regarding Fisher & Mallette-Paquette and Fabbri & Ayer? I've kind of assumed the latter are because they just got together, but worth asking anyway as maybe some people are following these athletes more closely and actually know.

barbarafan

Same questions regarding Fisher & Mallette-Paquette and Fabbri & Ayer? I've kind of assumed the latter are because they just got together, but worth asking anyway as maybe some people are following these athletes more closely and actually know.
nada on fisher &Mallette-Paquette......F/A a week ago might be working on music.

chameleonster

https://www.edgesofglory.com/post/meet-ellie-fisher
Fisher/Malette-Paquette were planning to move up to seniors together as per this interview at the end of January but I don't have any further updates since then.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxJB8NFl-29/?igshid=yeerduqfsm1n
Fabbri/Ayer were still together less than two weeks ago.

Colonel Green

I feel bad for Fabbri/Ayer especially; even one more junior season would make it a lot easier for them in the long-term race to be part of the Canadian ice dance picture post-Beijing. They’ve basically got three seasons of hardly any international prospects ahead of them.

All the same, Skate Canada should be mindful that they’re going to need polished senior dance teams three years from now, so they cannot just focus only on Marjorie and Zach.

barbarafan

I feel bad for Fabbri/Ayer especially; even one more junior season would make it a lot easier for them in the long-term race to be part of the Canadian ice dance picture post-Beijing. They’ve basically got three seasons of hardly any international prospects ahead of them.

All the same, Skate Canada should be mindful that they’re going to need polished senior dance teams three years from now, so they cannot just focus only on Marjorie and Zach.

They have only now been together a year with tons of progress. Although she is young she is very dramatic but also romantic and they both have very good chemistry which transitioning seniors often struggle with. I think a lot will depend on their material.

Dobre

They could get a CS, I'd think. They helped earn the third spot back for Junior Worlds next season. (First time in three years). If they could earn a high enough score at a CS, I think Canada would give them another one as they did for Soucisse & Firus when they earned one their second season out. My guess is that score is a rather challenging one and that F&A may not get it, but that just means they need to work anyway. Which they do, having only just gotten together. Anyway, I believe S&F did get an international senior B even after bombing at Autumn Classic their first season and, with that, their technical minimum scores. Earning those scores would be a good goal for F&A this year, and gaining experience. Building up to chase Lanaghan & Razgulajevs or whoever they end up chasing on the national scene. It would be nice to see F&A go to Lake Placid International this summer and try for those minimum scores there.

RoseRed

They could get a CS, I'd think. They helped earn the third spot back for Junior Worlds next season. (First time in three years). If they could earn a high enough score at a CS, I think Canada would give them another one as they did for Soucisse & Firus when they earned one their second season out. My guess is that score is a rather challenging one and that F&A may not get it, but that just means they need to work anyway. Which they do, having only just gotten together. Anyway, I believe S&F did get an international senior B even after bombing at Autumn Classic their first season and, with that, their technical minimum scores. Earning those scores would be a good goal for F&A this year, and gaining experience. Building up to chase Lanaghan & Razgulajevs or whoever they end up chasing on the national scene. It would be nice to see F&A go to Lake Placid International this summer and try for those minimum scores there.
Given that Lanaghan/Razgulajevs have gotten a CS for the last couple of seasons, I think they definitely should get at least one.

barbarafan

I hope so. Their first competition (in month 4 of being together)one of the things very seniorish was how close they were on their twizzles...They were fast and so close . I think they may have had a problem there as it was way too early to sense where the other one was and at their next competition there was a bigger distance between them. There are so many eye-catching senior teams that lovely choreo. might get lost in the shuffle. Romain H. seems to be able to grab your attention and not let it go so his input is so valuable for younger teams and IMO gives them a great advantage. Not that I think there is anything wrong with F/A's choreography...it has been exceptional so far but Romain is a God in separating the men from the boys.

Sylvia

TBD
Skate Ontario held a seminar for junior dance teams on the Teatime Foxtrot pattern, with its inventors, Kaliszek and Spodyriev.
From Vancouver Ice Dance Academy's IG... Detroit SC also hosted a similar seminar in late April and the Miku Makita/Tyler Gunara are among the Canadian teams pictured here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwzqwBxF9-z/

Makita/Gunara and 2019 Novice silver medalists Kiera Kam/Mathew Carter were at NextGen camp: https://www.instagram.com/p/BxKx3yblKuL/

"Was a good couple weeks in Novi. Lots of good work done with Igor and Pasquale and the rest of the team in Novi😀" (Sales/Wamsteeker with Shpilband/Camerlengo): https://www.instagram.com/p/BxBJUFCpHKO/

"Congrats ZhaoKai Pang for getting into med school😀 All the best": https://www.instagram.com/p/BxfTnT0neLw/

sharsk8s

No special tea at the gala, poor Zach.

Does Billie-Rose skate at all, or has she heretically decided to have interests different from her parents?
I feel like it was mentioned in an interview a while ago that she skates but I am not sure to what extent or if it is more recreational

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information