Canadian Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Rafter

Does anyone know which junior teams from nationals age out and can’t do JGP next year?

Colonel Green

Anyone has seen this fab up and coming novice team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8pljwEhPjE
I'd seen a few bits of pieces. They won their advanced novice comp at the Bavarian Open, so I wouldn't be surprised if SC gives them one JGP assignment next season just to get their feet wet (assuming they move up to junior, which they're old enough for now).

The scramble for the national junior dance title next season will be interesting to watch.

chantilly

They’re adorbs!

He actually reminds me of Scott when he was young. He has that same stretch in his chest and upper body.

Hope the best for their future. Looks bright at this point.

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Don't know where else to post this (feel free to move it to an appropriate thread):
Marjorie Lajoie is organizing a show on April the 2nd to support the Autism World awareness day near Montreal (Boucherville). Skaters include Lajoie/Lagha, Fear/Gibson, Plutowska/Flemin, Brasseur/Bardei, Alicia Pineault and others.
It's a good cause to support if you're in the area.
Link to tickets and description of the event:
Link

Ohyes

My wishlist:
G/P surprise medal (bronze figures crossed)
Danadians top 8 finish with two strong performances

Colonel Green

For Piper and Paul, I think a realistic target to set for themselves here (while also hoping that the stars really align, but knowing that's a long shot) is to come out ahead of Kaitlyn and Andrew. They've beaten them in the free dance at two straight events, domestic and international, so there's a solid basis to think they can do that again here; it's a question of keeping the RD margin as close as possible and then not getting any extended lift deductions.

If they can do that, they'll have done themselves good for next year.

yurokis40

For Piper and Paul, I think a realistic target to set for themselves here (while also hoping that the stars really align, but knowing that's a long shot) is to come out ahead of Kaitlyn and Andrew. They've beaten them in the free dance at two straight events, domestic and international, so there's a solid basis to think they can do that again here; it's a question of keeping the RD margin as close as possible and then not getting any extended lift deductions.

If they can do that, they'll have done themselves good for next year.

IloveFS

I haven't watched the ice dance competition yet but I am aware of the results.

I am sad for our Canadian ice dance teams as I think that they really are amongst the best of the world.

Maybe it's time that our Canadian ice dance teams train with different coaches (i.e. all three to Montreal?).... Or, is the real future with the 2019 World Junior Ice Dance Champions????

mackiecat

I am sad for our Canadian ice dance teams as I think that they really are amongst the best of the world.

Maybe it's time that our Canadian ice dance teams train with different coaches (i.e. all three to Montreal?).... Or, is the real future with the 2019 World Junior Ice Dance Champions????
Only one team (Danadians) train in Montreal. It was a well skated event

Dobre

Only one team (Danadians) train in Montreal. It was a well skated event

For clarity, at least four teams train in Montreal: the Danadians, Soucisse & Firus, Lajoie & Lagha, and Fisher & Mallette-Paquette. They just all happen to be teams likely to be in the battle for the same spot on the Canadian team for now. At least the first three are.

Colonel Green

I'm not sure what about the results you think is inconsistent with them being among the best in the world? All three of our teams were in the top ten, and none fared poorly as far as scoring goes.

IloveFS

I'm not sure what about the results you think is inconsistent with them being among the best in the world? All three of our teams were in the top ten, and none fared poorly as far as scoring goes.
I think that Weaver and Poje were definitely capable of winning a medal. I also thought that GP's free dance was probably the best free dance of any team this season.

Colonel Green

I think that Weaver and Poje were definitely capable of winning a medal.
Certainly they were. They didn’t, but their results were good, especially when you consider that ice dance has a heavy momentum/politicking aspect and they missed the first half of the season.

Nothing about their result here suggests they need to change coaches.

believed

FWIW, WP had asked about moving to Montreal this year (Jeremie Flemin, Polish ice dancer currently training at Gadbois, mentioned this in an interview) but were turned down.

Colonel Green

I have other reasons why I would like them to change coaches.
Heh, yes, I almost mentioned that.

Canadian dance teams were a bit scarce on the Grand Prix this season (especially outside of SCI, where you had three teams, and then NHK and IdF each had one), so this fall will be a big change in that regard. Weaver/Poje, Gilles/Poirier and Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen are all seeded and guaranteed two events. Lajoie/Lagha are on the top 24 season's best list and I suspect will end up with two at the end of the day, maybe including a host spot. Soucisse/Firus are in the world standing chart, but I kind of think they may end up with only one.

Erin

Banned Member
FWIW, WP had asked about moving to Montreal this year (Jeremie Flemin, Polish ice dancer currently training at Gadbois, mentioned this in an interview) but were turned down.

Seems like Igor would be available, as he no longer has any top teams and they are already working with him for choreography. He has his pros and cons but he is a good technical coach and doesn't have the one big con that Morozov has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information