Canadian Ice Dance 2018-19 season news & updates

Moustaffask8r

Are they eligible for junior for another year anyway? I think she just said that the reason they didn't move to senior last year was because they want to medal at junior worlds this year first. I think if they skate well they have a good chance.
They will be going head to head with the same couples that were at the JGP Final, plus the Green's will be there .The score they got at Bavarian Open wasn't that high... so nothing is certain!! And yes they could do one more Junior year.

Moustaffask8r

Not sure what list you're looking at, but this is wrong. The 24th team on the SB list is Shevchenko/Eremenko with 170.66. Lajoie/Lagha are 30th with 166.52. So currently they'd need a SB by just over 4 points (of course other teams can get new SB too).

Also, winning JW doesn't guarantee you a GP spot.
Can you name a team that were on the JW podium and didn't get a GP the next year???

sharsk8s

They will be going head to head with the same couples that were at the JGP Final, plus the Green's will be there .The score they got at Bavarian Open wasn't that high... so nothing is certain!! And yes they could do one more Junior year.
It doesn't sound like they are planning to from interviews I have read/watched. In their MK and nats interview they gave the impression this is their last junior season. I think it would be smart to establish themselves as a senior team next year so during 2020-2021 season when their will probably be more movement among the Canadian ice dance teams they can move up in the ranks with a senior season already under their belts.

RoseRed

Can you name a team that were on the JW podium and didn't get a GP the next year???
No GPs are guaranteed based on winning JW, that rule changed a couple seasons ago. That doesn't meant they won't get one (JW winning teams are typically in top 24 WS and at least close for top 24 SB), but the statement was about guaranteed GP spots from winning JW.

Dobre

I think Lajoie & Lagha will get a host spot.

(It's possible there could be a bit of a fight over that if Canada chooses to invite two top teams to SC and then has to choose between S&F and L&L. All three of the top Canadian teams are high enough on the SB list that they are highly likely to get two non-host spots even if F-B&S miss the top ten at Worlds, which they have a good chance of making).

Then if L&L don't make the WS top 24 or SB list, there might be some wrangling on their behalf for a second, as Canada has invites to trade.

If they are still not top 24 on one of the lists, they would need to win JW to get a guaranteed GP spot (other than a host pick, of course).

You can't get a guaranteed spot by winning Junior Worlds. (At least you haven't been able to do so for several years. If that has changed, I would love a link to the information).

A win or a medal at Junior Worlds, though, would give L&L a lot of WS points. I think once scores were dropped for the transition to next season, they would have a chance of making the top 24 if they bring in those points.

They could possibly earn a top 24 SB score at Junior Worlds, but that is hard to do with the fewer elements that junior teams have. (Ushakova & Nekrasov and Shevchenko & Eremenko currently have scores on the list so reaching #22 and below is possible for the junior teams, maybe #21. I feel like #20 would likely be out of reach based on the junior scores we've seen thus far). Then you have to cross your fingers and hope the senior teams from Worlds don't spring past you. Earning a top 24 SB for L&L is not particularly likely, though it is common for JW scores in March to outpace JGP scores from months earlier.

Are they eligible for junior for another year anyway?

Yes, they have another year of junior eligibility.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Forgive the pedantry, but wouldn't it be LJ&L? (If the J even needs to be capitalized -- Marjorie doesn't seem to capitalize it.)

Colonel Green

Forgive the pedantry, but wouldn't it be LJ&L? (If the J even needs to be capitalized -- Marjorie doesn't seem to capitalize it.)
It’s more common than not to not capitalize it, from what I’ve seen. Since it’s one word, I don’t think most would abbreviate it as LJ.

Moustaffask8r

No GPs are guaranteed based on winning JW, that rule changed a couple seasons ago. That doesn't meant they won't get one (JW winning teams are typically in top 24 WS and at least close for top 24 SB), but the statement was about guaranteed GP spots from winning JW.
I know there is no GUARANTEED GP spot for winning Junior World, there is also no guarantee teams survive after winning Junior world (Y/M,I/K,M/K,C/Z). But most likely teams winning JW will get a spot....

Dobre

Alexandrovskaya & Windsor weren't ice dancer last time I check!

They aren't, but they were Junior World Champions and they couldn't get onto the GP the first year they tried because 1. they didn't have a top 24 SB or WS score, 2. there are fewer spots available in pairs, and 3. they didn't have a host country to offer a host berth or trade spots on their behalf.

The same is possible in dance. All the Junior World dance medalists that have moved up onto the GP since the rule change not guaranteeing one to medalists have earned themselves a guaranteed top 24 SB or WS berth. It is quite likely that a junior age-eligible team without such a guaranteed berth would elect to remain in the junior ranks another year in order to earn that guaranteed spot.

Lajoie & Lagha, however, are ranked pretty high internally in Canada and have a host country with host spots and the ability to barter for more. L&L, therefore, probably won't have to wait another year, even if they don't earn a guaranteed berth. (Which they might).

ChiquitaBanana

It is “Lajoie”. It’s the anglos that tend to put capital letters in the middle of French names, as if it was litterally “La Joie” (the joy).

levineismine

I believed in Hubbell&Donohue before it was cool
Lajoie&Lagha have said in an interview before the GPF that they are planning to go senior next year. Of course things may change, but it would probably be a good move, especially if junior worlds go well.
As a few posters pointed out above, there is a good chance they'll get a GP next year.
Also, if W/P are not planning to stay until 2022, now would be a good time to make a move. I could see them/ I hope to see them pushing for Canadian podium in a couple of years.

euterpe

Right now Lajoie/Lagha have 1553 points and 24th is 650 points above that. The problem for L/L moving up on the WR list is that JW doesn't give a lot of points. The winner gets 500, second is 450 and third is 405. And since L/L already have two ISU Championship scores, they wouldn't even get the full value of the JW points---it would be JW points minus 207 (the lower previous ISU Champ score).

Two teams who beat L/L at the JGPF (S/E and U/N) are just below them on the WR list; if they beat them again at JW, they will move ahead of them on the list.

RoseRed

Right now Lajoie/Lagha have 1553 points and 24th is 650 points above that. The problem for L/L moving up on the WR list is that JW doesn't give a lot of points. The winner gets 500, second is 450 and third is 405. And since L/L already have two ISU Championship scores, they wouldn't even get the full value of the JW points---it would be JW points minus 207 (the lower previous ISU Champ score).

Two teams who beat L/L at the JGPF (S/E and U/N) are just below them on the WR list; if they beat them again at JW, they will move ahead of them on the list.
But the 2016-17 points will be dropped completely, and the 2017-18 points will move to 70% at the end of the season, and those numbers are what's used for top 24 WS list (as far as I know). So looking at the current gaps doesn't really tell us anything useful. The gap between them and top 24th is smaller when you consider only what will count.

By my calculations, 1st at JW would likely get them top 24. 2nd could, but I wouldn't bet on it.

euterpe

JW and Worlds points are awarded BEFORE the WR list is purged of old data. So even if L/L won JW, the actual points they'd get would be 500-207= 293. 293+1553=1846, far short of the 2103 points for the current 24th place team.

Meanwhile, at Worlds, senior teams moving up could set the 24th place total higher. Worlds points are a lot heftier than JW points. 11th place at Worlds gets more points than 3rd place at JW.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Meanwhile, at Worlds, senior teams moving up could set the 24th place total higher. Worlds points are a lot heftier than JW points. 11th place at Worlds gets more points than 3rd place at
Only one championship per season counts towards points. Unless different teams go to Worlds, they can only gain incremental points between Worlds and Euros or 4C's. Similarly between Euros/4C's and Jr. Worlds, Jr. Worlds and Worlds.

euterpe

Euros and 4CC points are lower than Worlds points. So teams who competed at both will receive the higher points of the two. I don't think any team is doing both JW and Worlds/4CC/Euros, since the RD is different for Senior/Junior.

Dobre

Euros and 4CC points are lower than Worlds points. So teams who competed at both will receive the higher points of the two. I don't think any team is doing both JW and Worlds/4CC/Euros, since the RD is different for Senior/Junior.

Popova & Byelikov of Ukraine have already competed at Europeans and are signed up to do Junior Worlds as well. They may do senior Worlds also, depending on whether Ukraine decides to name them or Nazarova & Nikitin for the spot.

Last edited:

IloveFS

Canada has some really strong junior teams this season and i know some of them are moving up to senior next year. Do you think they can mix up the top team standings within Canada next season or will it take a few years for them to become top teams?
Yes, and some of the novice teams are even stronger....

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
For the same placement, Worlds points are higher, yes, but 1. The current numbers you a relying on already include Euros and 4C's championships points and 2. They only can go higher by the difference in points, and only if they earn more at Worlds, which isn't a given.

kalamalka

Is anyone going to watch the 2019 Canada Winter Games online? Figure skating starts in the second week (Feb 25-28) I believe pre novice and novice are the categories... Here is the full list of figure skating athletes with bios on the skaters if you click them. https://cg2019.gems.pro/Result/Show...61d4-4909-b4a9-22942399e80a&SetLanguage=en-CA

Yes, Canada Games is always (at least for the last several cycles) for pre-novice and novice skaters, and starts tomorrow. It's all being live streamed. The website is quite unfriendly - no list of competitors by event, but they will have results links. Skate Canada put out a news release on Friday. I'll start a Kiss and Cry thread with some links.

skatingguy

decently
Yes, Canada Games is always (at least for the last several cycles) for pre-novice and novice skaters, and starts tomorrow. It's all being live streamed. The website is quite unfriendly - no list of competitors by event, but they will have results links. Skate Canada put out a news release on Friday. I'll start a Kiss and Cry thread with some links.
If you go to 'Find an athlete' and then select 'Figure Skating' and the event you want it will give you a full entry list (leave last name, first name, and contingent blank). You can do the same thing with 'Find a team' to find the skaters for pairs & dance. Certainly not user friendly but the information is there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information