Canadian figure skating

Steph

They definitely have trained professionals at high level competitors. Sports doctors, physiotherapists and athletic therapists. They don’t get paid though (maybe the organizing medical person does). This includes worlds. The physiotherapist was telling me about how people would refuse to volunteer as it meant giving up their evenings and weekends for free and being at risk of being liable if something went wrong. So it’s interesting to me that there is 4 million for salaries, but they won’t pay professionals without whom a safe event would not be possible.
Super super late to this, and a bit thread drifty, but my wonderful skate tech, the late Jim Reid, was skate tech for Vancouver and DC Worlds. He turned down the 2010 Vancouver Olympics because he was expected to volunteer his time, which meant closing down his shop for the duration, and they wouldn't even cover a hotel in Vancouver when he was looking at an hour and a half commute each way. He'd had it with not being paid. It's amazing, really, with all that money floating around, that they'd nickel and dime professionals like that.

Sylvia

TBD
April 11, 2024:

Skate Canada is pleased to announce a new national event – the Skate Canada Trophy – as part of the 2024-2025 competition season. This event will bring together the former Novice Canadian Championships and Skate Canada Challenge – Pre-Novice/Novice events under one umbrella.

This new event will showcase Canada’s top up-and-coming talent in novice and pre-novice men’s and women’s singles, pair, and ice dance. The first edition of the Skate Canada Trophy is scheduled to take place at the Terwillegar Community Recreation Centre in Edmonton, Alta., from February 6-9, 2025 and will see new Canadian champions crowned at the novice level.

The existing Skate Canada Cup will expand to encompass crowning new Canadian champions at the novice level of synchronized figure skating, as well as Skate Canada Cup champions in the gold and open categories.

“We’ve listened to our Podium Pathway community and are excited to announce this more streamlined competition format for our novice and pre-novice skaters, and to continue to enhance the competition format for synchronized skating in Canada,” said Shae Zukiwsky, Senior Director, Performance Excellence at Skate Canada.

The existing qualifying structure for the Pre-novice/Novice Challenge will be used for the Skate Canada Trophy. More details on this event will be released in the coming months.

Aaron MB Fan

Skate Canada 2024 has been awarded to Halifax - just got their email announcement:

ETA: Thanks to @manhn for creating the event thread! Wasn't sure where to put this lol.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information