Call for Nominations for Skate Canada Board of Directors

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I've been a Skate Canada member for a couple of decades and have never seen a call like this circulated to the general membership.

Some of the criteria are going to exclude members who don't have the "right" kind of experience, and the nominations apparently have to be "supported" by the national Recruitment and Development Committee. That's still exclusionary and elitist. But this is a start.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Personally I think it is really important to make sure that you have people who do have good skills and knowledge in important roles. But even good job skills generally.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
@Aussie Willy I do too, but narrowing the qualifications of those skills to X number of years within the organization and approval by a nominations committee is too specific IMO. There could be really good candidates with transferable skills from elsewhere who wouldn't meet some of those criteria.

At the very least there shouldn't be a nominations committee, at least not beyond the role of running the election. Any candidate who wants to run should be able to run. If the voters think a candidate is unqualified, they don't have to vote for them. Screening candidates and approving their candidacy in advance is a process that's too open to abuse and favoritism.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
@Aussie Willy I do too, but narrowing the qualifications of those skills to X number of years within the organization and approval by a nominations committee is too specific IMO. There could be really good candidates with transferable skills from elsewhere who wouldn't meet some of those criteria.

At the very least there shouldn't be a nominations committee, at least not beyond the role of running the election. Any candidate who wants to run should be able to run. If the voters think a candidate is unqualified, they don't have to vote for them. Screening candidates and approving their candidacy in advance is a process that's too open to abuse and favoritism.
Yep understand what you are saying.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.

Completely agree, they need fresh blood in there. That's crazy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information