Blast from the Past - the skating episode from Fantasy Island, 1978, with Peggy Fleming

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I took a silly Facebook quiz today on the original ABC Fantasy Island series, and it made me think of this episode. Of course it was a VERY realistic portrayal of US Nationals during an Olympic year:
  • The competition would be held on a tropical island with a small palm tree island in the middle of the ice rink
  • A skating coach would dump his student (Fleming) for another skater in a heartbeat (Charlene Tilton, the "potato farmer" with the fantasy) because he thought she could do better
  • The fantasy skater wouldn't realize she had to have a prepared program for the competition
  • The coach and fantasy skater would fall in love immediately when he teaches her his dream program
  • The rival skater would steal her skates (OK, admittedly, that one ain't so far-fetched...)
  • The rival skater would have a moral awakening and return the skates (yeah, back to a fantasy...)
  • The fantasy skater would skate a perfect program and then withdraw because her "dream had come true" and give the title to the woman who stole her skates and returned them
  • The other competitive skater we see for all of 3 seconds competed in a yellow swimsuit
  • And a happy ending, of course
And the other fantasy is just as ridiculous (also, of course). What teed me off is that they credited the concert pianist for the episode but not the "stunt skaters" aside from Peggy Fleming. Anyway, enjoy, Tilton was game and it's always lovely to see Peggy in her youth.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I took a silly Facebook quiz today on the original ABC Fantasy Island series, and it made me think of this episode. Of course it was a VERY realistic portrayal of US Nationals during an Olympic year:
  • The competition would be held on a tropical island with a small palm tree island in the middle of the ice rink
  • A skating coach would dump his student (Fleming) for another skater in a heartbeat (Charlene Tilton, the "potato farmer" with the fantasy) because he thought she could do better
  • The fantasy skater wouldn't realize she had to have a prepared program for the competition
  • The coach and fantasy skater would fall in love immediately when he teaches her his dream program
  • The rival skater would steal her skates (OK, admittedly, that one ain't so far-fetched...)
  • The rival skater would have a moral awakening and return the skates (yeah, back to a fantasy...)
  • The fantasy skater would skate a perfect program and then withdraw because her "dream had come true" and give the title to the woman who stole her skates and returned them
  • The other competitive skater we see for all of 3 seconds competed in a yellow swimsuit
And the other fantasy is just as ridiculous (also, of course). What teed me off is that they credited the concert pianist for the episode but not the "stunt skaters" aside from Peggy Fleming. Anyway, enjoy, Tilton was game and it's always lovely to see Peggy in her youth.

“De plane! De plane!” ✈ One of my favorite series. Those were far more innocent times...before Lolita Express & a bunch of creeps flying to another sort of island. Sigh.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
“De plane! De plane!” ✈ One of my favorite series. Those were far more innocent times...before Lolita Express & a bunch of creeps flying to another sort of island. Sigh.

If you can find the HBO movie, "My Dinner with Herve," see it. It's based on a true story of a guy who interviewed Herve Villechaize just before he died (although the reporter in the movie is fictional). The real reporter realized afterward that this interview was essentially Herve's suicide note. Peter Dinklage and Jamie Dornan star, and were great.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I watched every episode and I remember that episode, too. I especially watched because I loved Ricardo Montalban! Thanks for sharing, @Yazmeen!

bardtoob

OMG, Peggy is the classic ICE 817C4!

bardtoob

Explanation, please?????

Rhymes with witch.

"The committee has decided that a skater without a program form has to be disqualified." :glamor:

"Well, I have several pairs of skates." :ds1:

"What about my dreams! Mr. Roarke, I don't have a social life. I never have any time. Everything is always practice practice practice." :wuzrobbed
"Well, she's interfering in my life." :sarah1:

"Well, she has you on her side and she has Mike and she has those damn skates! It's just not fair. She doesn't know what sacrifice means!" :revenge:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information