Bill Cosby Meme Generator Backfires

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
I don't believe there is a statute of limitations in terms of a civil suit, which is what suing Cosby would be. I think it only applies to criminal law.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Now I'm really confused. I thought that American law prevented women suing because of statute of limitations (how long?) and yet the 15 year-old is now suing? And what was the reason behind sol? Is it because its too much trouble for the courts to pursue (use of time and resources, unlikely conviction)? Doesn't seem to help the victims, does it? Years later, they still seem to be pursuing Roman Polanski, right?
The statute of limitations varies based on the crime. And when the clock starts on it also varies. There are a number of reasons to have them but the main reason is that it's considered unjust that something you did many, many years ago can hang over your head forever. That's why, the greater the crime, the longer the statute of limitations and for murder, there is none. Plus, the longer it drags out, the more unreliable witness testimony becomes and therefore the harder it is to have a fair trouble. So it's not about too much trouble or not being able to convict but about justice.

As for Polanski, he was found guilty in a court of law. So he's a criminal who fled the country in the eyes of the US law. I don't think he's actively being pursued, but if he came back to the US, he'd be thrown in jail, as would any criminal who fled the country in order to escape their sentence. It's got nothing to do with the statute of limitations.

ETA there are statute of limitations for civil suits too but the rules are different and -- usually -- more lax than for a criminal trial.

Sparks

Roman Polanski was going to turn himself in, and fled. Different thing.
The statute of limitations only applies to criminal cases. I don't know about all the cases, but perhaps some of the women can pursue a civil case (?)

attyfan

The statute of limitations only applies to criminal cases. I don't know about all the cases, but perhaps some of the women can pursue a civil case (?)

Statutes of limitation apply to civil cases. However, there have been special provisions enacted for civil suits in sexual abuse cases.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Yes, statute of limitations apply to any type of case we've decided they apply to. Both civil and criminal. But not every crime has them and not every civil case has them.

PeterG

Law provides 1 of Bill Cosby's accuser's a chance to pursue lawsuit against comedian

...a woman who claims Cosby molested her in a bedroom of the Playboy Mansion around 1974 filed a sexual battery lawsuit, using an exemption that allows victims of childhood sexual abuse to sue decades after the incident.

A possible problem with her lawsuit:

For Huth's lawsuit to survive, she will have to show that she discovered the alleged abuse by Cosby caused significant psychological damage within the past three years.

lefeury1

I was sexually assaulted as a child. Teaching me self defense would probably not have helped as I was paralyzed with fear. I taught my children both male and female that they should always practice healthy boundaries for themselves and others. When problems occurred in everyday life, we examined how the other person may not have respected their boundaries or how my children may not have respected theirs. This just raises the awareness of when people are waving red flags and that it is a good idea to avoid them. Mothers need to make sure their sons respect them, so that they do not see women as prey. Fathers need to discipline and train their sons by showing respect as well. If either parent does not follow through then that boy may not truly understand in a culture that fosters unhealthy boundaries for everyone. I don't know how protected they are, boys or girls, when predators exist that are skilled and violent.

PeterG

Bill Cosby seeks dismissal of suit by woman claiming underage abuse; cites her money demands

The filings state that Singer and Huth's attorney, Marc S. Strecker, had several conversations about the allegations in the weeks before the lawsuit was filed. Strecker first demanded $100,000, then raised the demand to $250,000 in order to keep from filing a lawsuit on Huth's behalf, Singer wrote.

The article also mentions that that L.A. Police Chief will investigate any reports of abuse, even if they were outside the statute of limitations.

susan6

It's looking like the UVa gang rape story might be a case of journalistic incompetence in action. Further investigation is finding major holes in the story (such as, sources quoted by the author can't actually be found or verified, and the fraternity didn't have a party on the day of the alleged rape). http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/05/us/rolling-stone-uva-apology/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 While this didn't get to the point of the Duke LaCrosse case, it was splashed across front pages of major news sites for days.

On the one hand....I was hoping this was a hoax; as a UVa alum, the details just sounded so bizarrely horrific I didn't want to believe it. On the other hand, if it is proven to be a hoax, it sets rape victims back a few decades. Trying to report a rape? Good luck with that. No one will believe you, because "Duke Lacrosse case!" and "UVa frat hoax!" The MRA types are going to have a field day with this.

The author of this story needs to be canned for being incompetent. Rolling Stone might end up being sued. I mean, with great accusations comes great responsibility to have as much proof as possible.

judiz

A woman who said Friday that Bill Cosby had drugged her and sexually assaulted her in 1979 also accused another famous man of attempted sexual assault: sportscaster Marv Albert, who pleaded guilty to assault and battery the day after her surprise testimony against him.
P.J. Masten said in an interview with CNN that she woke up naked and bruised in a bed with Cosby in Chicago after he gave her an alcoholic drink and that she believes she was raped. She discussed the details of her allegations against Cosby in an interview with The Associated Press.
Cosby's attorney, Martin Singer, did not immediately return calls and emails requesting comment. Singer has denied some of the recent allegations, while another Cosby attorney has called others "discredited."
Masten was a surprise witness against Albert in his 1997 trial, testifying that he bit her and tried to force her to perform oral sex in a Dallas hotel room in 1994 while he was wearing women's panties and a garter. Masten said she escaped by pulling off Albert's toupee.

___

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It's looking like the UVa gang rape story might be a case of journalistic incompetence in action. Further investigation is finding major holes in the story (such as, sources quoted by the author can't actually be found or verified, and the fraternity didn't have a party on the day of the alleged rape). http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/05/us/rolling-stone-uva-apology/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 While this didn't get to the point of the Duke LaCrosse case, it was splashed across front pages of major news sites for days.
I don't think you can compare the two. All of the woman's friends say that she clearly had some sort of traumatic experience at the time and some of the denials by the fraternity are not credible either. Like they say they didn't have an pledge activity that weekend but that doesn't mean there wasn't an unofficial party. It sounds like something happened to the woman but over time she's confused some of the details in her mind. Which is completely different than making something up on purpose to get attention.

Cachoo

Wow! Thank you Beverly for speaking out now. I wonder if people might start believing Janice D.

lmarie086

missing my cat :(
i completely believed Janice; I don't care what her antics might have included over the years, they don't discredit her. The fact that she's been talking about Cosby for a number of years also speaks volumes IMO. The hateful responses to her statements were very disappointing.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I figured once Janice spoke up, people would be all "Oh, I believe now." I guess not.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Absolutely. I believed Janice, too, and applaud her courage in coming forward.

ETA I applaud all of the men coming forward.

I understand some of these people not speaking up at the time (in the 70's) when they were young women because women were a lot more powerless then & Cosby was very powerful. But I don't understand not speaking up later when they were older & when women had more of a voice. Any one of them could have prevented what happened to others later, esp Beverly Johnson. She was not an unknown at the time & had a lot less reason to fear backlash.

Here's a new article - "Bill Cosby Breaks Silence: I Only Expect Black Media to Remain ‘Neutral’ Amid Rape Allegations."
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-black-media-stay-neutral-073643824.html

I'm not sure exactly what he means by that. Does he mean that only black media have the professionalism to report fairly? Does he mean he expects that black media will give him a pass regardless of what he does? /shakes head

puglover

Beverley Johnson is certainly a credible voice. As very tragic as this is, I hope these many women's voices are not dismissed and that race isn't even a part of the discussion. Bill Cosby is an old man now - but hopefully this kind of silence breaking will make other men think twice before taking advantage or assaulting a woman. I sincerely hope they get the mess "WE'RE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"!

VGThuy

I understand some of these people not speaking up at the time (in the 70's) when they were young women because women were a lot more powerless then & Cosby was very powerful. But I don't understand not speaking up later when they were older & when women had more of a voice. Any one of them could have prevented what happened to others later, esp Beverly Johnson. She was not an unknown at the time & had a lot less reason to fear backlash.

Because many people have to come to terms with it. It's not easy to come forward with sexual assault for many reasons. Mostly for the stigma attached and how people will attack you for it thinking you're lying or making it up. Look at the reactions now with the UVA case and how that's been handled (first saying she's lying, with Rolling Stone apologizing to its readers, to now people realizing that something obviously happened and her contradictions do not negate her story, etc.). Either way, she was branded from the get-go. Look at how women are treated when they come forward. Some people have really painted these women horribly, and this is when we are more aware. Back in the 80s and 90s and even early 2000s, it would have been even worse. See Anita Hill. Hill eventually lost her job for speaking out against Clarence Thomas.

Here's a new article - "Bill Cosby Breaks Silence: I Only Expect Black Media to Remain ‘Neutral’ Amid Rape Allegations."
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/bill-cosby-breaks-silence-black-media-stay-neutral-073643824.html

I'm not sure exactly what he means by that. Does he mean that only black media have the professionalism to report fairly? Does he mean he expects that black media will give him a pass regardless of what he does? /shakes head

I think Bill Cosby is saying that the media is ready to lynch him without proof. There's some thought about being an accepted black in white society and how once you are accused of something, the white media all turn their backs on you so quickly and disassociate themselves because you weren't the bastion of the perfect black person that they thought you were. Some think that in order for a black celebrity of any sort to be fully accepted, they have to be picture perfect or make sure they play football/basketball (or be of some other use) so well that they get more leeway. Before you talk about how untrue that is, etc. just keep in mind that this is coming from some people who are part of that community, so I wouldn't be quick to dismiss that idea since they have a perspective we don't.

I think it's funny Cosby is saying that the black media will remain neutral when he's actually a very controversial figure in the black community with many thinking his ideas are all about assimilation and getting rid of the black identity.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I think it's funny Cosby is saying that the black media will remain neutral when he's actually a very controversial figure in the black community with many thinking his ideas are all about assimilation and getting rid of the black identity.
Yes, as far as I can tell, the black media doesn't seem too keen on him and is quite willing to believe the 13+ women. And I find it interesting that he's claiming there is no proof. Exactly how many women have to come forward and what do they have offer for there to be what he'd consider proof? I think there is definitely enough proof for any media outlet to run with the story based on accepted criteria they use for all people regardless of color.

Jenny

From the Bloc
And again, surely an innocent man would say "Let me be clear - I didn't do any of this. I have never treated, and would never treat, any woman with anything other than complete respect."

Instead, he tries to make it about media neutrality, black vs white media, and this garbled comment:
“Love and the strength of womanhood,” he said when talking about Camille, who has stayed by his side throughout the ordeal. “Let me say it again, love and the strength of womanhood. And, you could reverse it, the strength of womanhood and love.”

IMO, he's guilty as charged.

PeterG

And again, surely an innocent man would say "Let me be clear - I didn't do any of this. I have never treated, and would never treat, any woman with anything other than complete respect."

That's a really good point. But then I started to wonder...how many men can honestly say that...?? :shuffle:

Scrufflet

That's a really good point. But then I started to wonder...how many men can honestly say that...?? :shuffle:
Excellent points both. Yes, if he had reacted with rage and said "No, I would never do that" and his wife had jumped in with "No, he would never do that and I would have turned him in years ago if I knew he had" and "we will both take lie detector tests to strengthen what we say", then he might be more credible.
I think neither sex can make the statement re respect. I also think a lot of men are keeping a guilty silence and checking their past behaviour, wondering if they crossed the line at some point.
I hope nobody is buying this as a race issue. He's trying to deflect! Whoopi is doing the same thing (trying to make it a celebrity issue) although I think she's doing it because she can't handle her friend being like this as well as some much deeper things around men/women relations. It's a touchy subject for sure.

Allskate

His attorneys are probably advising him not to accuse the women of lying because then they would sue him for libel and the statute of limitations would not apply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information