Bill Cosby Meme Generator Backfires

flyingsit

ITA with Bette Midler, who was seen as pretty risque when she was younger. The current crop of young female pop stars includes a lot of young women who are low on substance and high on sexual imagery. And enough with the booty songs!
Credit to Taylor Swift in this area... She does not use that type of imagery and does not dress that way, either while performing or while out and about. Which is probably one reason why parents are happy when their kids are fans of Swift rather than of Grande or Nicki Minaj or...

Scrufflet

Agree with flyingsit here. For me the difference is that Swift seems to be charting her own destiny, is intelligent and has a philosophy about what she's doing. The others (Cyrus, Minaj, Grande, etc.) seem to listen to others who say "empower yourself" by getting sexier, taking your clothes off and then they convince them this was their own idea.

PeterG

It's funny to be reading these last few posts in the Bill Cosby thread instead of the Pop Music This Week Thread (aka the Taylor Swift thread)! :lol:

Allskate

Agree with flyingsit here. For me the difference is that Swift seems to be charting her own destiny, is intelligent and has a philosophy about what she's doing. The others (Cyrus, Minaj, Grande, etc.) seem to listen to others who say "empower yourself" by getting sexier, taking your clothes off and then they convince them this was their own idea.

If I had kids, I certainly would prefer for them to like Taylor Swift than those other artists you've mentioned. I just wish Taylor would get over playing the poor persecuted girl and that she was a better singer. I'm not sure the difference is intelligence. I think Taylor has been smart enough to develop her own brand, which sells albums and concert tickets, and others have been smart enough to realize that sex sells and that talking about empowerment is a way to publicly rationalize it when they are asked about it in interviews. I just have more respect for Taylor. But, I don't buy music from any of the artists you've mentioned.

michiruwater

I'm really not sure that Ariana Grande deserves to be in the same boat as Miley Cyrus and Nikki Minaj.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I also don't think you can say which of these artists is "charting their own brand" and which ones are "listening to others" just by looking at what they put out in public. I certainly get the impression there is a team behind Swift just like the others. Who is to say which singers are more in control of their teams vs. others. I get the impression that Cyrus isn't particularly controlled by others (or she wouldn't do some of the stuff she does) but Swift is very packaged and I have a hard time believing she did that all herself starting at such a young age.

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski
Taylor Swift's parents both work/ed in finance. Her dad was/is a VP level, not sure about her mom but I think she may be/have been on a VP level, too. So, yeah. Taylor Swift didn't exactly start out like Dolly Parton did.

Karina1974

I think that we also have to look at how we raise children in terms of respect for others and for ourselves. I was raised in a home where you didn't say no to adults. They were always right. They knew best. If my parents weren't there, the man or woman they left in charge was the boss and I wasn't to object to his or her direction. While they didn't realize it, they were essentially raising me to believe that others' opinions, wants, and desires were more important than my own. Unfortunately I wasn't an isolated case in my former home or when I came to the United States. I'm still working past that mentality.

And you see a lot of the flip side in the younger generation - little snits who don't know how to do as they are told, and they cop an attitude when their misbehavior is being pointed out to them. We had an issue with a group of youngsters who didn't live in my building, but lived across the street from the parking lot for my building, and thought they had the right (????) to run around, and ride their bikes and scooters in the lot and around the cars. That lot is privately owned (by my landlord), and the only people who have a right to be on the grounds live or work in my building.

I told these kids quite a few times to stay out, but they never listened. One day they decided to run deliberately behind my car as I was trying to back out and return to my job after my lunch hour. So, I went and got my landlord, and they were copping attitudes and giving him tone about it. It his damn property! And if one of them trips and falls and gets hurt, you can bet the parents would be trying to stick him with the bill for it. He finally marched across the street up to the house where these kids live, to speak to the adults who are supposed to be supervising them.

Brats. I can tell you my parents would have made my life hell if I set foot on someone elses property and then refused to get off when I was told to. Thankfully, the people the kids belonged to moved not long after.

I won't even touch the subject of kiddies who think they are a par with people whose life experience trumps theirs by two and more times.

As for being "always right" and always "knowing what's best" - here's what my father used to say to me on that subject: "when you are out of school and have your own place and you are working and paying all of the bills, THEN you can make the rules. Until then, keep your mouth shut and do as you are told."

jamesy

delightful
I told these kids quite a few times to stay out, but they never listened. One day they decided to run deliberately behind my car as I was trying to back out and return to my job after my lunch hour. So, I went and got my landlord, and they were copping attitudes and giving him tone about it.
I seriously thought this story was going to end with you running one of them over.

watchthis!!

Uh oh, what'd I do??

Oh, do you want me to visit the Pop Music thread? Is that why you're crying? I wasn't going to, but I can if it would fix things!

Maybe he opened the thread to read about Bill Cosby. But instead people were talking about Taylor Swift. And Ariana Grande. And Nicki Minaj. And Miley Cyrus. Have all four come out with their own Bill Cosby stories??? :lol:

Southpaw

Saint Smugpawski
OK, here's some Bill Cosby material for Peter, Chris Rock is hooking him up.

When asked if any comedian was ever "disdainful" to him when he was first starting out in his career, Chris quickly calls out Cosby.

"I mean, maybe Cosby early on, but he turned pretty quick," he shares.

Commenting on the recent multiple sexual assault accusations against the 77-year-old comedian, Chris goes so far as to liken the situation to the deaths of Joan Rivers and Robin Williams.

"I grew up on Cosby," Chris says. "I love Cosby, and I just hope it's not true. It's a weird year for comedy. We lost Robin, we lost Joan, and we kind of lost Cosby."

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/chris-rock-bill-cosby-white-201700430.html

Allskate

@Allskate , @michiruwater , @MacMadame and @Southpaw all have me on ignore.......................

:wuzrobbed :drama: :(

:lol: Aw. I would never ignore you Peter. I just can't keep up with you! I started trying to remember the music and movies I wanted to see based on your posts, but I just gave up.

I also don't think you can say which of these artists is "charting their own brand" and which ones are "listening to others" just by looking at what they put out in public. I certainly get the impression there is a team behind Swift just like the others. Who is to say which singers are more in control of their teams vs. others. I get the impression that Cyrus isn't particularly controlled by others (or she wouldn't do some of the stuff she does) but Swift is very packaged and I have a hard time believing she did that all herself starting at such a young age.

I don't think that Taylor Swift was consciously creating her brand when she was fifteen, but I do think that she has been for several years. I remember seeing a 60 Minutes piece on her a few years ago, and it was very clear that she was a businesswoman who very clearly stated that she was a brand. She does call the shots. According to her, the label wanted her to include some country songs on her latest album, but she said no. Yes, she does have a team. I was watching VH1 this weekend, and Jim Shearer said that she was the most scripted artist he's interviewed on the show. If they ask one question that isn't on the list, the publicist steps in. But, that doesn't mean the publicist is doing that on their own. I think it's very likely at Taylor's insistence. To me, Taylor Swift is more businesswoman than artist.

susan6

Some current events in the "women sexually harassed by men" area....
Two girls in Germany trapped in a restroom and harassed by a group of men. Tugce Albayrak hears their calls for help, barges in, and tells the men to get lost. One of the men later returns and kills Tugce.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30268653

Two girls in India harassed on a bus by a group of 3 men while the rest of the passengers either 1) ignore the actions completely or 2) tell them not to report it because someone might throw acid in their faces. The girls start thrashing the men with their belts and are thrown off the bus. One pregnant woman (who the guys also harassed) films the whole thing.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/01/india-video-women-harassers_n_6247570.html

Woman working at Chicago Nordstrom's on Black Friday killed by her ex-boyfriend, who then kills himself. Request for restraining order had been denied.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...oting-victim-7-months-ago-20141201-story.html

judiz

My son is a freshman at Temple University where Bill Cosby was a member of the board of trustees. Cosby spoke to the incoming freshmen as well as gave the speech at graduation. Temple had said they were standing behind Cosby but he resigned this morning. Not sure if it was totally his idea.
http://ow.ly/FbjkW

antmanb

Credit to Taylor Swift in this area... She does not use that type of imagery and does not dress that way, either while performing or while out and about. Which is probably one reason why parents are happy when their kids are fans of Swift rather than of Grande or Nicki Minaj or...

Really? She might not have when she was focusing more on country music, but since she's shifted across to the pop music scene, I think she's the same as other pop artists. She performed at the Brits in 2013 halfway through, the big white dress comes off and she's in a tight short black sexy outfit - pretty standard pop act stuff.

mag

Really? She might not have when she was focusing more on country music, but since she's shifted across to the pop music scene, I think she's the same as other pop artists. She performed at the Brits in 2013 halfway through, the big white dress comes off and she's in a tight short black sexy outfit - pretty standard pop act stuff.

Okay those black hot pants are about as sexy as something Shirley Jones wore on the Partridge Family! Not really anywhere near Miley Cyrus territory. I like Swift's voice, but she really isn't at all sexy and can't dance or move to music. Whoever does the choreography for the stage show does a great job with all the other dancers - helps cover up Swift's lack of rhythm.

ETA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bubba252/3561115060/

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I like Swift's voice, but she really isn't at all sexy and can't dance or move to music.
Cyrus can't dance or move to music either and would be better off realizing it and choreographing around it. (But she can sing!)

In interviews with Cyrus' parents, they talk like she's this force of nature that they can't control. And she's made a number of missteps such as you'd expect from a young adult out her own feeling her own way. So I am :confused: by this idea that somehow she's a puppet with other people pulling the strings. I think you guys just don't like her/her image so you can't say anything nice about her including admit that she's in charge of her own image such as it is.

mag

Cyrus can't dance or move to music either and would be better off realizing it and choreographing around it. (But she can sing!)

In interviews with Cyrus' parents, they talk like she's this force of nature that they can't control. And she's made a number of missteps such as you'd expect from a young adult out her own feeling her own way. So I am :confused: by this idea that somehow she's a puppet with other people pulling the strings. I think you guys just don't like her/her image so you can't say anything nice about her including admit that she's in charge of her own image such as it is.

ITA except the singing bit. Cyrus' voice wasn't bad when she first came out. She was young and it needed training, but that was okay because, well, she was young. The problem now is she either has had bad training or no training at all. She is going to end up sounding like an unfiltered Neil Diamond if she isn't careful.

Scrufflet

Now I'm really confused. I thought that American law prevented women suing because of statute of limitations (how long?) and yet the 15 year-old is now suing? And what was the reason behind sol? Is it because its too much trouble for the courts to pursue (use of time and resources, unlikely conviction)? Doesn't seem to help the victims, does it? Years later, they still seem to be pursuing Roman Polanski, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information