Biggest meltdown from a leading or near leading position under pressure

Biggest meltdown in final free skate under pressure from a potential winning or leading position?

• Total voters

slipchuk

Banned Member
Here are some examples that come to mind for me:

1995 worlds pairs Woetzel Steuer- They had just won the Europeans in a controversial 5-4 split over Kovarikova/Novotny, and were 2nd coming into the long here. Kovarikova/Novotny who were leading had mistakes, while Shishkova/Naumov the defending World Champions had skated cleanly but their marks werent that high and they were 2nd. They had a great shot of winning especialy as they had just beaten K/N at Europeans where they skated much better than they just had here. They had an epic meltdown, and yet were still in contention for bronze after their skate only due to Meno/Sand being 5th after the short, but Eltsova/Bushkov slotted between them after their skate, dropping them to 5th place. I count 6 obvious mistakes in this program- stepping out of the triple toe, bad fall on the double axel, two footed throw double axel, her stumbling on the little jumps into the double loops, badly messed up double loop by her, then stumbling badly in the last footwork sequence. Mandy look petrified with utter fear and terror the entire skate for some reason. She was always a nervy and erratic competitor, but this is the biggest collapse under pressure of her whole career I believe. Here are two different networks showing the performance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrYiDrEfGfw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4ue6UJNTK0

And LOL at some of those marks, 5.6s for technical merit. Just imagine if this were an unknown team or even a mid pack team instead of the reigning European Champions.

2. Kerrigan at the 1993 worlds- She was the leader after the short, and while there was probably already some question if she could win as she had never done a decent long program in competition her whole career really. I had never seen her do one with more than 4 triples up to that point (although she did numerous ones in her final season of 93-94 when she finally got her act together) and already Bauil had done a perfect skate with 5, Bonaly had done a clean skate with 7, and Lu Chen had done a clean skate with 6 and 2 lutzes. She still was considered the favorite. She had such an epic meltdown, probably her worst long program ever with only 2 triple toes, that she came a lowly 9th in the long (would be 10th if Josee didnt bomb right after) and only came a very lucky 5th due to winning the short and how the cummulative points barely kept her ahead of several others. It is kind of ridiculous due to an ordinal flip from one ridiculous 6th place ordinal for a dumb judge to Josee and her 2 triple skate right after, someone like Karen Preston who landed 6 triples to Nancy's and who had passed her into 5th place even from 7th after the short, dropped from 5th to 8th, gifting Nancy the rise back up to 5th

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Sk7yBYl8c

This was the start of the wake up call that helped Nancy for the Olympics. The whack being the other. It also probably cost her the Olympic Gold as her reputation sank like a stone after her showing her, and Baiul now suddenly became the clear favorite for the Olympic Gold giving her a strong advantage over Nancy. Like Mandy Woetzel at the 95 worlds she looks absolutely paralyzed with fear, even her opening position she looks like she wants to die and it is almost clear she finds the pressure unbearable and wont be able to cope.

3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71j523P23Ig Alexander Fadeev 1986 Worlds. Fadeev was the defending World Champion and leader going into the long program. After winning figures and finishing 1st or 2nd in the short program (I forget which) he had such a big lead over the other contenders- Jozef Sabovcik, Brian Orser, and Brian Boitano, he could afford a 3rd or 4th place finish in the long and still win the gold. Which given the skating that night even a poor skate would have successfully managed for him. As it is he had a dramatic meltdown with 2 hard falls and 5 major mistakes, and came only 5th in the long, dropping to bronze overall. This was the start of his decline, eventually leading to a 4th place finish in Calgary. Notice the 5.9 for technical merit from the Soviet judge and even the 5.8 from the Australian judge though. The Soviet judge did atleast place him only 2nd in the long as she gave Orser (who also had a fall and major mistakes) 5.9, 5.9 to Fadeev's 5.9, 5.8. This is Tatiana Dalinenko who mysteriously had a long career in the sport even after proving here what a corrupt and unworthy judge she is. As a fan of Russian skaters I hate judges like this, who are a large part of some of the exagerrated controversies (eg- Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Sotnikova) and unfair reputation Russian skaters and judges have due to a few really bad apples like this one. She should have been barred from judging for life for that one mark alone which brings disservice to the sport, her country, and the other judges.

4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW4LqC33TiU Debi Thomas 1988 Olympics. Maybe grouping this as a meltdown with the others is somewhat unfair, as it isnt quite the horrible skate the others are. Still she had a dream situation when she took the ice. Witt had skated so so and had very low technical marks. Manley had skated great but could not win the gold due to her figures and short program placings (unless Ito or Trenary had been 2nd in the long, and Ito and Trenary were already behind Witt, and Kadvavy had already WD) and the judges had lots of room for Thomas to win the long program anyway, although I am sure she would have almost been happier to be 2nd and take the gold and push bitter rival Witt to a mere bronze medal overall now. After missing the back part of her triple toe-triple toe beating Manley in the long program and perhaps beating Witt to win the gold were in question, and after missing the triple loop midway through it was all over. She had a 3rd major miss late, but it was already a foregone conclusion she would drop to the bronze, only getting that since Ito and Trenary were too far back to be in contention for it despite skating much better this night. The sad thing for Debi is had she done either her Skate or U.S Nationals performance she probably atleast beats Witt in the long and wins the gold medal. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bgiMdbiPHk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVRy31nVpFA

The good thing for Debi is she had so much more to look forward to in life, that the loss the Olympic Gold while dissapointing didnt seem to be the huge deal it is for others. Or so it seemed...fast forward almost 30 years and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYlmjvR48zo Not that I think winning the Olympic Gold would have changed squat about her current situation mind you, which came about through things entirely different altogether. It would just given her something to pawn off for big money to temporarily give her better housing and food which a bronze medal cant do, that is about it.

berthesghost

I went with Kerrigan as it was pretty spectacular.

Hanging on to bronze is still something, so I wouldn't really add Bobeck in 95 although it was pretty melty-downy. Mirai in 2010 was a disappointment. Honorable mention to Gracie in 16 not because it was a particularly bad meltdown but because of all the unraveling that came afterward.

If feel like Kim at 09 SA was meltdown-ish even if she still did win.

bardtoob

Laetitia Hubert was 5th after the SP at the 1992 Olympics. She finished 15th in the LP and 12 overall.

Ok . . . I finally forgive Hubert for crashing into and injuring Ito at the 1991 World Championships and dashing my dreams of a true healthy head to head battle between Ito and Harding . . .

. . . It does not change that this meltdown is spectacular. I have never seen anybody with such clean edges and powerful jumps throw themselves into splats, two foots, underrotations, and unchecked landings with the speed and flow of Laetitia. It is like the only thing Laetitia did not know is how to exit a jump.

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
Carolina Kostner had quite an awful FS at the 2010 Olympics, 19th in the FS. She was "only" 7th after the SP, though. I remember it being dreadful to watch.

Susan M

I'd give it to Nancy K because she was such a clear and strong winner of the SP, then she seemed to just give up in the FS. At least Fadeev threw in the quad toe attempt like he still wanted to do well, while she just started doubling things.

Actually, watching Fadeev's skate with all the jump landing errors, it is interesting to think about how many points those flawed jumps would have earned under IJS.

Jammers

Kerrigan's meltdown is still number 1 how many times does a skater in the K&C actually say they want to die after bombing a program? Usually they try to be brave and not cry but Nancy was almost in shock and was horrified what just happened and didn't hide her feelings.

canbelto

This is based on nothing but gut instinct but I never felt like Nancy Kerrigan truly enjoyed competition skating. Her tense body language, her miserable K&C expressions after another bombed (or middling) LP, it was as if she was doing it because her family had sacrificed so much.

Now that we know the backstory she's more sympathetic. She was dealing with a lot of personal problems at home AND had to go out there and not only skate but pretend to be this ice princess that was very far from her reality.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Looking at the title of this thread all I can think about is Pogo, worlds 2017.......

I mean that to me represents all things meltdown.

I just went and watched the Kerrigan program. I remember that dress. It was STUNNING.. what it has to do with Beauty & Beast Ill never know....That dress would be a showstopper for a classical piece of music like Vivaldi or Rach.

I didn't ever remember her being so emotionally unvested in her music. No connection.

Kerrigan didn't really have many falls in this. When I think meltdown I think jump-splat, jump-splat, spin-fall, jump-splat, 2 minutes to get up from the ice, jump-splat, crawl/slow walk to the boards, tears, head in hands. And that for me is Pogo.

Also for consideration for this poll: Alissa Czisny. Although which program to pick.....hmmmmmm... sorry, honey although I love you to Reeses Pieces.

(ADDED LATER) Kerrigan is in the lead? LOL, I wouldn't call that a meltdown, just didn't have a good evening. Meltdown? Need to watch some Anna Pogo or Alissa programs. Thats a whole different level. Thats where the sh*t gets real......

Last edited:

slipchuk

Banned Member
Based on some of the answers I would like to point out I mean only people in real contention. Preferably 1st or 2nd after the short program and with a big shot at winning, especialy with the final performances to that point in the night.

Someone like Hubert had an amazing meltdown at the 92 Games but she was not in contention for any medal. Maybe with the skate of her life she could be 3rd in the long over Kerrigan. Which still would not have won her the bronze medal since Kerrigan was 2nd in the short to her 5th.

Berezhnaya @ Sikharulidze at the 97 Worlds is a really good one though and pretty epic. And despite being 3rd after the short the gold was wide open as everyone in the final flight had taken a big fall and had other mistakes. They had 4 falls on all the major side by sides and jumps they tried.

Meno @ Sand at the 97 Worlds is another really possibly. They were 4th after the short but skating after Eltsova & Buhkov and Woetzel & Steuer had major mistakes, they had a great shot at winning the world title, probably the only year they could despite leading after the short in 98. They had a pretty big meltdown, badly missing their first 3 elements including a triple twist they didnt even complete. Not as bad as B&S right after them, but still pretty extreme.

Cohen at the 2006 worlds could somewhat qualify. The 2006 Olympics cannot qualify as even close to a true metldown, and in fact it is on par or above her average for clean performances which is hardly never a clean performance, but the 2006 worlds can be looked at as a meltdown, especialy expeced to cruise to gold in such a poor and depleted field and it being her final worlds.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Debi Thomas won a bronze at the '88 Olympics. That's not much of a meltdown unless you think that winning is the only medal that counts. It's not like she ended up in 27th place or something like that.

Bellanca

Looking at the title of this thread all I can think about is Pogo, worlds 2017.......

I mean that to me represents all things meltdown.

I just went and watched the Kerrigan program. I remember that dress. It was STUNNING.. what it has to do with Beauty & Beast Ill never know....That dress would be a showstopper for a classical piece of music like Vivaldi or Rach.

I didn't ever remember her being so emotionally unvested in her music. No connection.

Kerrigan didn't really have many falls in this. When I think meltdown I think jump-splat, jump-splat, spin-fall, jump-splat, 2 minutes to get up from the ice, jump-splat, crawl/slow walk to the boards, tears, head in hands. And that for me is Pogo.

Also for consideration for this poll: Alissa Czisny. Although which program to pick.....hmmmmmm... sorry, honey although I love you to Reeses Pieces.

(ADDED LATER) Kerrigan is in the lead? LOL, I wouldn't call that a meltdown, just didn't have a good evening. Meltdown? Need to watch some Anna Pogo or Alissa programs. Thats a whole different level. Thats where the sh*t gets real......
:lol: Yeah. Great post!

D

Deleted member 19433

Laura Lepisto won the SP at 2007 Skate Canada but had a complete meltdown in the FS, placing 9th in that segment and dropping to 7th overall.

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively

aliceanne

Arakawa as the reigning World champion and GPF silver medalist coming in 9th at 2005 Worlds.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Michelle Kwan at the 1997 US Nationals LP

S&P at the 2000 worlds LP

Midori Ito at the 1991 worlds LP (she skated with an injury, however, and should have withdrawn)

B&S at 1999 Skate Canada SP (they skated well in the LP and won)

Tonya Harding at 1993 Skate America (I remember this because I was there).

Irina Slutskaya- 2006 Olympics LP

bardtoob

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
May I add Zhang & Zhang at the 2006 worlds LP? Another one I watched live.

Carolina Kostner had a terrible LP at the same worlds but I don't remember if she was in a position to medal.

Kurt Browning - 1994 Olympics SP

skateboy

While this was not really the biggest meltdown, Debi Thomas's Olympic LP felt like it, at least to me.

She was in the lead going into the LP and Katarina skated okay, but the door was wide open for Debi to win. After Debi made the mistake on the opening 3T-3T (second jump two-footed with a turnout), she became defeated and gave up on the rest of the program (which she admitted to). It was a sad thing to see.

And we now know that it haunted her for years.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information