Votes: 43 43.4%
  • Brian Orser (1988)

Votes: 44 44.4%
  • Other

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

timwarpingout

Honestly any of them this century weren't that impressive, so obviously it is one from the 80s or 90s.

In terms of courage and guts Stojko 98 would be the easy winner.

In terms of qualify of the performance Orser in 88 should be a fairly easy winner. He wasn't completely perfect, but narrowly lost to one of the best Olympic winning performances of all time.

Wylie of 92 would take it for sheer emotion, but the actual skate would not be competitive with Orser 88, Stojko 94, or even Stojko 98, and even if many complain about it, ultimately couldn't even beat a badly flawed Petrenko that year, and barely beat a badly flawed Barna.

timwarpingout

I don't "get" the Orser love. For me Boitano and even Petrenko in 1988 had more attention to detail in their programs. Looking back I am surprised he was that close to gold. Boitano may be bland to some but he didn't display much weakness in that program. Orser only had 1 3axel, no 3/3s and an awkward mistake.

I also don't get Wylie. Yes the choreography was nice and he executed it well - but those jumps were tiny, esp next to Petrenko, and he couldn't even do a 3/3 or a good 3/2.

Too bad Patrick Chan couldn't replicate that Trophee Eric Bompard performance in Sochi.
The answer to how Orser came so close to winning in 88 is fairly obvious. Reigning World Champion at Olympics in his home country. Same reason Boitano was so overscored in the LP at the 87 worlds too. The sport was even more political back then.

Wylie's 92 performance gets pretty overrated due to the emotional value of it, and what a personal triumph it was for him given his history. Artistically it was great, but technically it was still substandard for the time in any event that wasn't a splatfest. There is a reason Petrenko even with a ton of mistakes still was scored over him, even if some of it was politics and reputation for sure.

bardtoob

🤣 Since it's relevant to this thread ... Look at Brian Orser's reply to Brian Boitano's post ... And Scott Hamilton's reply to Brian Orser 🤣

VGThuy

🤣 Since it's relevant to this thread ... Look at Brian Orser's reply to Brian Boitano's post ... And Scott Hamilton's reply to Brian Orser 🤣

Omg! I have to say Scott Hamilton is truly a good sport for that classy response.

olympic

Interesting. I find my choices here are less inspiring than in the Women's thread.

I don't recall Uno's 2018 performance. Was he clean? Not Chan in 2014. Plushenko in 2010 was clean but not very inspiring. Lambiel was a pleasure to watch, but I don't recall his 2006 performance very much. Plushenko in 2002 and Stojko in 1998 were not clean but courageous.

I would actually choose Stojko in 1994 on the balance. Although Wylie was inspiring but flawed, and Orser was a skater's skater who could've won, BTW, during the broadcast in 1988, it was noted that Orser intentionally only planned 1 3A (?)

screech

Lambiel was a pleasure to watch, but I don't recall his 2006 performance very much.
And Lambiel is also a case of where the silver medallist placed lower (4th) in the FP. When I saw the thread title I though this could almost also refer to skaters who placed 2nd in the free in the Olympics, but not overall (in the 2006 case, Jeff Buttle was 2nd in the FP, and would have ended up with the silver if he hadn't doubled his triple loop, even with the planned fall on the quad)

For 2018, I remember absolutely nothing about Shoma's LP, aside from the fact that I thought Javier should have been the silver medallist.

jenny12

I remember Shoma making several errors during his program in the first half but he came alive a bit in the second half and had a showy ending which probably helped him get the silver since he was the last skater. However, I remember him being pretty sloppy in the first part and I think there was some uncalled under rotations throughout the program.

caseyedwards

I totally agree. I mean Brian orser in 1984 in SP and LP had the most perfect Olympics you can imagine! Too bad about figures!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information