Best Oscar nominated picture, in Your opinion?

Best Oscar nominated movie this year- in Your opinion?

• Call me by your name

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Darkest hour

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Dunkirk

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Get out

• Lady Bird

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Phantom Thread

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Post

• The Shape of water

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • Three Billboards

Votes: 5 13.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
At this point, all I know is that I don't want Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri to win -and I enjoyed the movie! There were a handful of scenes that rang false for me or just didn't fit in. I think it has some great characters and acting, but as a whole I don't think it's the best of the year or nominees.

I am sensitive to it but I have survived a few movies like that- Baby driver, Three billboards.... The violence in The Shape of water was overdone, IMO. Although I liked that movie, the violence didn't please me. Three billboards is overrated, IMO, though it has very good acting.

Couldn't stand some of the Oscar winners like the Departed, No country for old men, for example. I can handle war movies but violence/crime- usually not.
It's not a slasher film. Get Out is a very original vehicle for its message/story, so I would suggest watching it and maybe closing your eyes if you really need to for a second here and there.

RomyNL

For me it's between The shape of water and Three Billboards. I also liked Get out and fell asleep during Darkest hour, and still looking forward to Lady Bird and Phantom thread (Feb releases here)... and Call me by your name was lovely but a little bit too forgettable.

However, foreign language category is more exciting this year: Sweden, Russia, Hungary and Chile are all IMO stronger than Best movie nominees.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For me it's between The shape of water and Three Billboards. I also liked Get out and fell asleep during Darkest hour, and still looking forward to Lady Bird and Phantom thread (Feb releases here)... and Call me by your name was lovely but a little bit too forgettable.

However, foreign language category is more exciting this year: Sweden, Russia, Hungary and Chile are all IMO stronger than Best movie nominees.

The foreign language films are almost always good, and often better than the Hollywood films, though a few years ago i didnt like the winner in that category at all. I think it was 'Son of Saul'. I have often disliked what Hollywood puts out but this year there are many good films (5 out of 9 for me, and Three billboards missed the cut. :) ). I like art films but I wish they would release them earlier. I have to scramble at the end of the year to see all the good movies.

Shape of water is a wonderful movie. It has the mist nominations but Three billboards is likely to win more awards. Lately the trend at Oscars has been that the film that wins the most Oscars does not win the Best Picture. So there may be hope for 'Shape'.

I definitely want to see the Russian movie but i expect it to be as tragic as other Russian movies (I have seen many). Even the title sounds sad.

MR-FAN

Kostner Softie
Seen them all except for call me, phantom and darkest hour. My fav was Get Out

Kultakissu

I've only seen Get Out, Dunkirk and Darkest Hour so far. Going to see CMBYN and possibly also Lady Bird next week.

I loved Get Out. Darkest Hour was kind of meh. For a war film buff like me, Dunkirk was really exceptionally good, like a 21st century equivalent of The Longest Day, which is one of my all-time favourites. I saw it four times in the cinema and one of the highlights of my year was seeing it on one of the largest IMAX screens in Europe. It's an incredible film but I can't say if it deserves the Oscar or not since I'm kind of biased.

I'm really looking forward to CMBYN and based on what I've read about the film I think it may well become a favourite. One of my husband's friends is a top reviewer here. He's generally very stingy when it comes to stars but he gave CMBYN five stars and basically praised the movie to high heavens. It was the most positive review of his I've ever read :)

ETA: My friend who is an even bigger movie buff than myself - to the extent that she has a family and a full-time job but still manages to watch 1-2 films every day - just posted about CMBYN. Apparently she is obsessed with it and has already seen it twice in one day :D I can't wait to see this film!!!

Last edited:

VGThuy

My vote so far would be for Lady Bird. I’ll reevaluate once I see all of the nominees. I know the movie seems slight, and on the surface it looks like it’s been done before and often. However, I think the craftsmanship is so nearly perfect with a pacing and tone that is extremely hard to get right that the movie bowled me over. And it was with that plus the movie being unmistakenly in Greta Gerwig’s voice that I felt it seemed like I was watching new material. It’s a rare movie that recognizes that it’s been done before but it has such a confidence in what it wants to be and takes so much care to do it well with a distinctive voice and perspective that it feels fresh. I appreciate its craftsmanship even more when I compare it to other movies, especially Three Billboards where I found had high ambitions but was sorely lacking in execution and cleanliness of writing. It made me appreciate just how much care and attention was put into Lady Bird.

RomyNL

The foreign language films are almost always good, and often better than the Hollywood films, though a few years ago i didnt like the winner in that category at all. I think it was 'Son of Saul'.

I definitely want to see the Russian movie but i expect it to be as tragic as other Russian movies (I have seen many). Even the title sounds sad.

Loveless is not a light movie indeed, I liked however very much the way it shows how two people can quickly go from loving each other to hating each other so much. Also, good insight into lives of the Russian middle class

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Loveless is not a light movie indeed, I liked however very much the way it shows how two people can quickly go from loving each other to hating each other so much. Also, good insight into lives of the Russian middle class

Most Russian movies i have seen are very serious and tragic. It seems tragedy creates great art (not always) but Russian movies in particular really draw upon the pain and suffering in life. One could argue that life is like that, but sometimes it is nice to end on a happy note.

I didnt like a Russian movie that was not tragic (Moscow doesnt believe in tears). Couple years ago the nominated Russian movie Leviathan was devastating. It was good enough to win the foreign language Oscar, but the Polish movie Ida had more optimism, and perhaps thats why it won. (I am way OT)

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For me its between The Post, The Shape of water and Dunkirk. I would add Phantom Thread to that list, as a late comer.

The Post for its relevance to whats happening in our country today.

The Shape of water for its artistry (though the excessive violence marred it slightly for me, but only for a short while).

Dunkirk for the all around perfection (cinematography, score, direction, editing), and the creative approach- telling three stories simultaneously.

Phantom Thread for the strong acting by all, with a story that keeps evolving and keeps one guessing (all this applies to Three Billboards too but i had some major objections to the way it was shown, for its lack of common sense)

I will be happy to see any if these win the BP.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I have seen Lady Bird about 5 or 6 times.

Such a moving and beautifully crafted film.

I know it wasn't nominated, but check out 20th Century Women as well.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I have seen Lady Bird about 5 or 6 times.

Such a moving and beautifully crafted film.

I know it wasn't nominated, but check out 20th Century Women as well.

I saw 20th century women last year because I love Annette Bening but i didnt like it at all. She was very good, but not the movie.

I didnt think Lady Bird was that great either but better than 20th century women. The latter was more creative though.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I saw 20th century women last year because I love Annette Bening but i didnt like it at all. She was very good, but not the movie.

I didnt think Lady Bird was that great either but better than 20th century women. The latter was more creative though.

Each to their own.

Last edited:

Japanfan

I didnt like a Russian movie that was not tragic (Moscow doesnt believe in tears). Couple years ago the nominated Russian movie Leviathan was devastating. It was good enough to win the foreign language Oscar, but the Polish movie Ida had more optimism, and perhaps thats why it won. (I am way OT)

Leviathon was indeed devastating, but what a masterful and unforgettable film!

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Am I the only one that found Get Out to just be an updated take on The Stepford Wives? I enjoyed it's societal commentary told in an entertaining way, but I didn't find it groundbreaking. The fact that Dunkirk used prison labor excludes it from my consideration and sadly I have not had a chance to see the rest. The Big Sick was my favorite movie this year, obviously not going to win.

VGThuy

Get Out was definitely inspired by a bunch of different things, including Being John Malkovich.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Leviathon was indeed devastating, but what a masterful and unforgettable film!

I was rooting for Leviathon to win but I was ok with Ida winning because it was also very good. The Russian movie was more powerful.

Another devastating Russian movie was The Return. Also A soldier's ballad is very good but we know in the first scene how it ends. . These are very good movies, and they leave me sad for days after seeing them. One that is not tragic is Prisoner of the mountains and it is very good.

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Of the ones I've now seen (The post, Call me by your name, Get out, Shape of Water and Lady bird), I would choose Call me by your name. It's the one that I felt most pulled into emotionally, and had the most residual after the fact, of staying with me. Lady Bird would be second to me.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Saw 'Get out' today. It means I have seen all the best picture nominees. 'Get out' is a very well made movie. Definitely scary. It seems Blumhouse specializes in scary movies because I saw the trailer of another of their production. I had to close my eyes and cover my ears during the trailer. I closed my eyes probably just a few times toward the end of 'Get out' and for just a second.

oleada

I’ve seen Dunkirk, Get Out and Ladybird. I liked all three, but I absolutely loved Ladybird. I’ve never seen a movie that described my teenage existence so well. It was so relatable. I teared up at different points. It takes place only a few years before I graduated high school (2003 vs 2005), and I’ve just never thoroughly identified with a movie so much. The relationship between Ladybird and her mother was so well done.

Dunkirk was good but it didn’t resonate with me emotionally as much as Ladybird and the timeline confused me at points. It’s been a while since I saw Get Out but “Oscar material” is not what I thought. That said, it was funny, creative and scary. My husband loved it.

annie720

Saw CMBYN tonight and it is definitely at the bottom of my Oscars list. In fact, it may be one of my least favorite movies ever! Don’t understand what is Oscar worthy about it. I almost left early because the boredom was killing me.

olympic

Saw CMBYN tonight and it is definitely at the bottom of my Oscars list. In fact, it may be one of my least favorite movies ever! Don’t understand what is Oscar worthy about it. I almost left early because the boredom was killing me.

Call Me By Your Name has a Euro sensibility to its plot that is not to the taste of some Americans [not sure where you are from], or maybe it's difficult to identify w/ what being gay in 1983 Italy meant, unless that was part of your life. I myself was a teen in 1983 w/ those same homoerotic feelings, so the movie spoke to me. I don't disagree that the film might be 'niche' to some, but it is well acted and the plot expertly subtle, like most feelings of forbidden or dangerous love would be.

I now have the Psychedelic Furs 'Love My Way' as an earworm, and that also brings back good memories.

Of the others I saw - (1) Dunkirk was incredible and had an intensity that never let up. It was not acting film but relied on visuals to entrance its audience. Just great. (2) I streamed Three Billboards and thought it was the opposite: An acting film that Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell carried. McDormand especially deserved the GG. I found the ending to be like a Trixi Schuba LP: Enough to be a winner but a little clunky. (3) Get Out was fun and really engrossing because you have a character to root hard for, but it isn't a best picture winner. (4) The Post is very solid and very relevant to the times. I wasn't swept away by it, though. It includes a lot of minute details and La Streep as always is a tour de force, but it felt a little like a documentary. IDK.

I would have to honestly say Dunkirk and Call Me By Your Name are my faves.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sometimes psychological horror is the hardest of all to get through, for me at least. Many of my friends were raving about Get Out, and I would have liked to see it, but when I heard about some of the stuff that went on -- not even gory stuff -- I knew I couldn't take it.

I was afraid of seeing this movie but I am glad that I saw it. It is scary but not too scary. I survived it. :)

Kasey

Fan of many, uber of none
Of those I saw: 1) Get Out was a very well-done horror/thriller, akin to Silence of the Lambs; but I don't feel it is a best picture winner (and arguably, not really deserving of a nomination, although Kaluuya and Peele deserve their's). 2) Lady Bird was really heart-warming, gentle, funny...My only thing with it for me was I just didn't invest in it. Something about it didn't pull me in, which my favorite films do (and it's rare that it happens). Ronan is fast becoming a favorite actress for me, although I don't always like the actual movie, and Metcalfe was very good. 3) The Shape of Water was intelligent and intriguing, but kind of exhausting as well. I felt like it was trying to be too many things at once, and while very good, it did kind of fall flat for me after a while. Spencer and Hawkins were wonderful, of course, and so was Richard Jenkins. 4) The Post was remarkably timely, and was a very well-done movie, but seemed a retelling of one done before (All the President's men), which kind of led me to comparing the two. Tom Hanks is my all-time favorite actor, and he doesn't let me down in this, although not his best role. And I respect and admire Streep, but didn't feel that she inhibited her character as much as she often does, and didn't agree with her nomination (possibly at the expense of Michelle Williams). 5) Call me by your name pulled me in emotionally, and I loved the slow pace of it, the cinematography of it, and the fact that every frame of the movie enriched the movie and had an undercurrent of meaning. I'm not a gay male, but I was in my teens during the time frame, and can feel the backstory of shame and "no one can know". And the acting was so amazing and subtle by both leads and Stulberg as well. I think it is perhaps the most beautifully filmed movie I've seen.

Different strokes/different folks!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Call Me By Your Name has a Euro sensibility to its plot that is not to the taste of some Americans [not sure where you are from], or maybe it's difficult to identify w/ what being gay in 1983 Italy meant, unless that was part of your life. I myself was a teen in 1983 w/ those same homoerotic feelings, so the movie spoke to me. I don't disagree that the film might be 'niche' to some, but it is well acted and the plot expertly subtle, like most feelings of forbidden or dangerous love would be.

I now have the Psychedelic Furs 'Love My Way' as an earworm, and that also brings back good memories.

Of the others I saw - (1) Dunkirk was incredible and had an intensity that never let up. It was not acting film but relied on visuals to entrance its audience. Just great. (2) I streamed Three Billboards and thought it was the opposite: An acting film that Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell carried. McDormand especially deserved the GG. I found the ending to be like a Trixi Schuba LP: Enough to be a winner but a little clunky. (3) Get Out was fun and really engrossing because you have a character to root hard for, but it isn't a best picture winner. (4) The Post is very solid and very relevant to the times. I wasn't swept away by it, though. It includes a lot of minute details and La Streep as always is a tour de force, but it felt a little like a documentary. IDK.

I would have to honestly say Dunkirk and Call Me By Your Name are my faves.

My thoughts are quite similar to yours. I thought Dunkirk was a masterpiece. 'Get out' is a very well crafted movie, but is it Best Picture material? I would have preferred a nomination for 'All the money in the world' to make the cut. OTOH is there a group of genres a Best Picture must fit into? I don't think so. So there could be justification for Get out as a BP nominee. I thought Darkest Hour was overrated and got the nomination mainly because of the subject matter.

Call me by your name was artistic and almost poetic in my opinion, although I can see that some audiences may feel uncomfortable, especially in the USA. I don't feel that you gave to belong to a certain type of population (e.g. Black or LGBT or elderly, etc.) to appreciate a good work of art.

That brings me to Get out, again. On imdb.com the opinions are polarized. It's like 9/10 or 1/10. The 1/10 are very racist in their descriptions, while accusing the movie of being a racist movie (e.g. A comment like- a movie made by black peopke for black people, or it being an anti white movie). It is sad when a work of art is not viewed as just a work of art.

I am going to draw a lot of ire here by saying that Lady Bird is an overrated movie. I found it to be quite ordinary, despite good acting by the two female characters.

ssminnow

I've seen Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, and Three Billboards. Quite frankly I find last year to be a very weak year in movies. Of these, my favorite is Get Out, by a mile. It has a focused theme that screenplay, directing, and acting, and editing all delivered tautly on. There is nothing extraneous or indulgent, plus it actually contributes meaningfully to horror as a genre.

Three Billboards, by contrast, is a different take on some of the same themes. But it suffers IMO from trying to cram every source and symptom of societal decay into one movie, and in such a heavy-handed way.

Lady Bird was very pleasant to watch. It recreates the mood of high school, mother-daughter relationships, and the dual push and tug of home very well. But it also doesn't really stand out from a myriad of other good coming-of-age movies over the years. It's basically a non-gimmicky Boyhood.

Dunkirk is the most overrated movie of the year. I don't get it at all. I'd like to have those 2.5 hours of my life back.

Ohyes

Dunkirk. I liked ladybird to, but it was kind of a typical low budget indie film. Still better than a lot of films last year since it was a weak year in cinema.

DannyCurry

From the list I've only seen Darkest Hour and Three Billboards and I wouldn't pick any of these 2 for best picture.

I have high hopes for The Shape of Water, Lady Bird and Call Me By Your Name, which have yet to be released in France, but that's ok, it gives me time to finish Aciman's novel before seeing the movie. I can't wait to see it, I'm sure Armie Hammer is just perfect for the part :saint:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information