Ban all things thrown on ice for skaters-always.

exNyer

It looks good on TV and generates revenue for the arena.
If fans want to give skaters a gift then :
there is either a designated area assigned for such things
OR go to the boards and hand it directly to a person

This had always been a hazard to the skaters and causes delays to the following competitors waiting for this trash to be hopefully seen and cleared from the surface.

VGThuy

What was that thing that Maddie Schizas pointed out and then grabbed and gave the officials out on the ice after her Skate Canada LP performance?

Lacey

And I called it glass, duh, it was plastic, but bad enough in its clear-ness to trip someone if accidentally left on the ice.

And if the outside plastic wrapper had broken to let the vial out, then did flower petals fall out too?

I think they (Canada--not permitted at SA?) should not permit flowers being thrown for the skaters

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I agree, enough with throwing things on the ice!
Maybe only plush flowers like the ones they had at SA, if anything
There were plenty of those too. From where I was sitting, it looked like the vial was close but not enough close to interfere?

Yes, the practice of throwing things on the ice should be reconsidered

DreamSkates

There were plenty of those too. From where I was sitting, it looked like the vial was close but not enough close to interfere?

Yes, the practice of throwing things on the ice should be reconsidered
Maybe a skater would see an item and in avoiding same, make a mistake or have a fall. Plushies only!

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Oh come on, do we have to complain about every little thing? I agree, plushies only but allow them and the adorable sweepers (who love doing that) to do their thing and then make sure that the ice is clear for next skaters. I agree that flowers have had their day and don't need to be thrown onto the ice.

DreamSkates

Oh come on, do we have to complain about every little thing? I agree, plushies only but allow them and the adorable sweepers (who love doing that) to do their thing and then make sure that the ice is clear for next skaters. I agree that flowers have had their day and don't need to be thrown onto the ice.
Yes we can complain if an item on the ice could cause harm to a skater.

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
Yes we can complain if an item on the ice could cause harm to a skater.
Yes, I am aware of that. But why go all the way to banning it? Make sure the ice is clear. You know, there was a time when skaters competed on outdoor ice with no zamboni....good grief.

Reactions: liv

Orm Irian

Yes, I am aware of that. But why go all the way to banning it? Make sure the ice is clear. You know, there was a time when skaters competed on outdoor ice with no zamboni....good grief.
Yeah, well, we know better now. It's an occupational health and safety principle: that it's better to prevent risk from as many steps back as possible than to ignore risk and have to clean up after the event (especially where 'the event' might include 'someone suffering a serious workplace injury').

DreamSkates

Apparently some people don’t think about what they throw in the ice. To those persons I say “good grief”. Again, a ban on certain items keeps the skaters safe. Isn’t skater safety mist important?

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
And I called it glass, duh, it was plastic, but bad enough in its clear-ness to trip someone if accidentally left on the ice.

And if the outside plastic wrapper had broken to let the vial out, then did flower petals fall out too?

I think they (Canada--not permitted at SA?) should not permit flowers being thrown for the skaters

Flowers are supposed to be wrapped, but there was a woman sitting in the front row of my section at the latest Skate Canada who arrived with a dozen wrapped roses, and then proceeded to toss one single unwrapped flower to a favoured skaters. Some of the roses fell apart when tossed, making a huge mess for the flower kids to pick up.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Flowers are supposed to be wrapped, but there was a woman sitting in the front row of my section at the latest Skate Canada who arrived with a dozen wrapped roses, and then proceeded to toss one single unwrapped flower to a favoured skaters. Some of the roses fell apart when tossed, making a huge mess for the flower kids to pick up.

And when this happens, it's very rare that anyone from the arena or the event organizers tells that person to stop. I think that some people might not realize that what they're throwing is potentially dangerous to the skaters. IMO they should be asked politely not to throw whatever they're throwing, and if they keep doing it, they should be asked to leave.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I agree with banning stuff being thrown on the ice because you cannot control what people throw. And when they throw stuff that is difficult to see that is a risk.

On the other hand, if you are going to throw a full garden furniture set, then the skaters need to watch where they are going. Don't do axels in that area. :p

Dragonlady

Sew Happy
I agree with banning stuff being thrown on the ice because you cannot control what people throw. And when they throw stuff that is difficult to see that is a risk.

On the other hand, if you are going to throw a full garden furniture set, then the skaters need to watch where they are going. Don't do axels in that area. :p

That's easier said than done. First off, the other skaters have no idea what's been thrown or where, so they don't know what area to avoid, but most importantly, the program is choreographed and you can't change the placement of the elements. The skaters already have more than enough to think about.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
That's easier said than done. First off, the other skaters have no idea what's been thrown or where, so they don't know what area to avoid, but most importantly, the program is choreographed and you can't change the placement of the elements. The skaters already have more than enough to think about.
Haven't you see Ice Castles or Anchorman 2 :)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information