Avanta Boot Labs Slam Karen Chen For Boot Problems

VGThuy

Comments sections are notorious for abusive language related to race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. AOL and yahoo seem to attract the worst.

Tinami Amori

Reading some of the comments it's clear gay athletes are not alone in taking abuse. Some disgustingly racist stuff there.
Comments sections are notorious for abusive language related to race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. AOL and yahoo seem to attract the worst.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/1b53...a605b96b/ss_olympian-karen-chen-lands-in.html

@Per. Please point out to me where you find any comments based on race? There are 37 replies (as of 10 PM PST). I read them twice, not even 1 word about race or ethnicity.

There are 4-5 comments, which are out of line, about the photograph where Karen's "read-end" is rather seductively presented... and it is a "sexy photo", but does not mean people need to comment on it.
Nice picture of her booty.
Nicely shaped Buttcheeks

And there are 2 comments refs to "spoiled millennials"
"She is the poster child for the bum set of nuts millennials"

The remaining 25+ comments are made by people who seem to know the story very well, with all the details, and there is NOT one single comment about her "ethnicity or race".

It is not a good idea to shove "race issues" into people's faces when there are none. You'll be like a boy who screamed wolf..

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/m/1b53...a605b96b/ss_olympian-karen-chen-lands-in.html

@Per. Please point out to me where you find any comments based on race? There are 37 replies (as of 10 PM PST). I read them twice, not even 1 word about race or ethnicity.

There are 4-5 comments, which are out of line, about the photograph where Karen's "read-end" is rather seductively presented... and it is a "sexy photo", but does not mean people need to comment on it.
Nicely shaped Buttcheeks

The remaining 25+ comments are made by people who seem to know the story very well, with all the details, and there is NOT one single comment about her "ethnicity or race".

It is not a good idea to shove "race issues" into people's faces when there are none. You'll be like a boy who screamed wolf..

And then there is this comment:
“The reason you failed is in the mirror, you dirty [slur for Chinese]”

I will await your apology to the previous posters and walking back whatever point you were trying to make.

Tinami Amori

And then there is this comment:
“The reason you failed is in the mirror, you dirty [slur for Chinese]”
the word you refer to means "slot/crack", "dirty crack" is a sexual offense not racial, and i already pointed out there are some inappropriate remarks about the foto of her buttocks.

D

Deleted member 53443

Nicely shaped Buttcheeks

Calling her a dirty chink and "me want sucky sucky" is racist.

It is not a good idea to write that there are no race issues when there are. You'll be like a girl who has no clue.

I apologize to other posters having to read the comments quoted above.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance

It is not a good idea to write that there are no race issues when there are. You'll be like a girl who has no clue.

Every time I see disgusting comments from people like this (and they are almost always men), I have this fantasy of outing them and their vile comments to their employers. And mothers. And grandmothers. And so on.

And I am absolutely flabbergasted when they make such remarks through Facebook using their real names. That’s beyond disgusting to a whole special kind of stupid.

D

Deleted member 53443

Every time I see disgusting comments from people like this (and they are almost always men), I have this fantasy of outing them and their vile comments to their employers. And mothers. And grandmothers. And so on.

And I am absolutely flabbergasted when they make such remarks through Facebook using their real names. That’s beyond disgusting to a whole special kind of stupid.

One should know that these people are probably seriously unhappy people. How miserable a life does one need to behave like that.

I live in NJ, where people are not exactly the nicest always (not speaking about racists though, just mean in general). When I run into that I just tell myself how lucky I am to not have a life that I hate, which would easily be a lame excuse for treating people badly.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Skaters commonly bring up boot issues when they have them. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Karen didn't actually blame the manufacturer, did she?

But if the manufacturer was to blame, the professional thing to do would be to take responsibility.

However, I don't fully understand what happened, and don't want to go through the whole thread again.

IIRC there was a problem with the boots and Karen should have taken them to Avanta to get the problem fixed, not another company. And I don't know whether the problem was a flaw or something that can easily happen to boots.

Much earlier in this thread or in an article link, it was indicated that Avanta had advised Karen to bring her boots back to them for adjustments to the mounting before she left for the Olympics, but she neglected to do so.

By this point, I think all sides should take a deep breath and move on. There is no excuse for Murillo's diatribe against Karen in any form or venue. He should have apologized and deleted his comments a long time ago. Better yet, he should never have posted such insults in the first place.

Karen surely did not intend to cast aspersions upon Avanta with her post at the Olympics, but she simply should never have put up such a post. Deal with the obstacles you are confronted with and refrain from begging for sympathy in that situation. Most importantly (knowing the boot problems she's previously experienced), Karen should have done everything she could to ensure her boots were in good order, in addition to having spares already worked in and available. IMO, there's no excuse for Karen not following Avanta's advice regarding their need to adjust the mountings on her boots prior to her departure from California.

But by this point, I don't understand the further escalation that occurred, and Avanta' s continued failure to get beyond this and reach an amicable resolution. Hopefully Karen has learned something from this that can better help her face future challenges. I hope she is able to move forward, believe in herself, put her health and boot issues behind her, and fulfill her amazing potential and extraordinary talent.

Judy

Is this on social media? Ignore it people make the worst racist remarks on social media to get reactions.

Tinami Amori

@Per! i am very sorry to accuse you. had no idea the word is used for "ethnic slur". my attention went to several sexual slurs, and the word 'chink/crack/slot' fall into this category. In both cases, i hope Karen did not read them.

VGThuy

I usually avoid reading online comments under articles, YouTube videos, etc. I really don't want to read these types of comments (re)posted here. :rolleyes:

I usually do not either, but I felt I needed to use it to illustrate my point as somebody who fits the demographic of the type of people whose those comments would usually be directed at. I apologize if I caused any offense with my copying and pasting of it.

Japanfan

@Per! i am very sorry to accuse you. had no idea the word is used for "ethnic slur". my attention went to several sexual slurs, and the word 'chink/crack/slot' fall into this category.

I'm quite :confused: that anyone living in the west would not be aware of that pejorative word.

Last edited:

UGG

JK Rowling made a post on social media (Twitter) which said that ignoring that type of behaviour validates it. She said it should be called out so that people know it's wrong. I agree with her.

While I do agree with this statement, trying to reason with people who make these kind of statements is just a waste of time. Their minds will not be changed and they will never admit they are wrong. I see it on facebook every day. It is very sad how simple minded people are.

While I do agree with this statement, trying to reason with people who make these kind of statements is just a waste of time. Their minds will not be changed and they will never admit they are wrong. I see it on facebook every day. It is very sad how simple minded people are.

Speaking really generally, I always think that calling out offensive comments isn’t so much about changing the person’s mind that wrote the offensive comment but more about other people reading it. I think a lot of racism/sexism/etc... is so normalized that often it takes someone pointing it out to make people realize that it’s actually occurring.

Skittl1321

I'm quite :confused: that anyone living in the west would not be aware of that pejorative word.

It was a big deal awhile back when an ESPN writer (who was fired, I think) used it in a headline. They clearly thought it was an OK pun (A chink in his armor- perfectly reasonable statement; but not when applied to an Asian-American.) That went through likely many professional adults before it got published.

This country has a lot to deal with still with racial issues.

StasiyaGalustyanLove

Banned Member
Titanic Aroma knows exactly what he is doing in this thread, it was not a "mistake" it was a move designed to prevoke people into getting upset and loosing track of the topic to get all racial.

What is clear is that Advanta and Karen Chan are both very strong individual's and both represent good things. I love both of them. I want them to love each other.

MsZem

I see the sea
It was a big deal awhile back when an ESPN writer (who was fired, I think) used it in a headline. They clearly thought it was an OK pun (A chink in his armor- perfectly reasonable statement; but not when applied to an Asian-American.) That went through likely many professional adults before it got published.
The headline did not go through multiple professionals and was taken down very quickly. Anthony Federico, the man who wrote it, later said that the racial meaning never crossed his mind and that he became physically ill when he realized what he'd done.

Federico was indeed fired and has since taken a very different career path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information