Autumn Weather Question

Susan1

Decided it was cool enough to put up my autumn wreath!
Check out my avatar. I can't get a good picture because I have to stand in the closet and it's either too sunny or dark or the overhang blocks part of the light. The bow is brighter coppery in real life (from Michael's). And it has little sparkly things that come off every time you open the door. I vacuum them (they just move or fall out somewhere else), lint roll the floor and rug, wet paper towel the floor, shake it outside (you can see them on the wall by the door), but they still show up somewhere (on a sock or sweats) 12 months of the year. Aacckk!!

Today is supposed to be the the last day of record breaking 90's. They've had early dismissals from school all week. Monday they are predicting 60's and rain.

annie720

I had to turn on the heat this morning. It's going down into the 40s at night and the high yesterday was about 57, and today/tomorrow in the 60s.
This is funny because we live in the same area and hubby insisted on keeping the windows open in the bedroom last night. :lol:

quartz

scratching at the light
Yesterday we had horrible hot sticky weather - felt like 35C with the humidity. Gross. Tonight it is going down to 9C and tomorrow the high is only going to be 16C. Finally!! I get to wear cute boots and pretty scarves. Maybe even my new jacket that I didn’t know I needed. :cheer2:

Cachoo

Finally Autumn (the way I remember Autumn) has arrived. I hope this isn't a one or two day tease.

Susan1

97 in DC today, all time record for October. The only good thing about it is that the climate change deniers here also got baked. :mad:
Yeah, trump only denies "global warming" in the winter because it's cold out.

Peaches LaTour

Petaluma (Sonoma County, California)
It is whack-a-doddle here. This week highs over 100 and lows of 43 degrees. And it was drizzling this morning. Totally nuts.

I ride, and the poor horses don't know whether to grow their winter coats or not. They are sweating in their stalls a 8:00 PM, and freezing at midnight. And then very frisky in the AM. Not good for them, and certainly not good for me LOL>
f

I wanted to move there! We spent the day & night there, once, and I fell in love with it. Too expensive for my pocketbook, tho. :(

34 degrees in Portland, Oregon, yesterday morning. Frost on the rooftops. :wuzrobbed

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
f

I wanted to move there! We spent the day & night there, once, and I fell in love with it. Too expensive for my pocketbook, tho. :(

34 degrees in Portland, Oregon, yesterday morning. Frost on the rooftops. :wuzrobbed
OH - that is way too cold for me. Petaluma is charming.

Susan1

80* for the homecoming parade right now (6:30 pm.). Low of 50* tonight. Football weather for the game tomorrow (high of 70)

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Fall for now in the Northeast. We’re low enough that Indian Summer might just happen later this month.

Susan1

Fall for now in the Northeast. We’re low enough that Indian Summer might just happen later this month.
48* at 7 a.m. Some rain for Sunday and Monday. It might be too late for the leaves. There have been a bunch of big brown ones blowing around for a week. Third week I didn't have to have the grass mowed. Should need a couple more before it dies for the winter. I did have all the shrubs trimmed and the weeds removed.

Not funny - years ago, we were having a perfect fall and were going to Brown County, Indiana for my birthday weekend, end of October. One of the Directors in my department went to IU for a recruiting thing the week before and said how beautiful it was down there. Then it rained and got cold and all of the leaves fell off. I took one picture on the Friday we got there of hills with bare trees. And it rained ALL DAY that Saturday. bleah

I pretty much remember all of my birthday weather. One year in high school my best friend had a Halloween party and surprise birthday party for me the night before in her garage. The next morning there was snow on the ground. When I had my broken leg, we went to Dairy Queen the night before. (I had to stay in the car.) I've been to Gatlinburg and Louisville for birthday weekends. I was invited to Vegas for that weekend once. Nope. I have to stay where Indian Summer and pretty leaves hopefully will be. Once I took off on the Friday before to go to the adult skate in the morning, woke up sick, went to the doctor and got a flat tire on the way home. But the weather was really nice. And my dad bought me two tires for my birthday. ha ha That birthday Saturday I spent at the rink at the Swap Meet and it rained all day. :)

Done rambling.............................

myhoneyhoney

I’m in a tank top and capris and it will be hotter tomorrow. So much for cooler weather. Boooo

Susan1

Um - Dayton, Ohio
(weather channel "forecast")
Wed OCT 9 Mostly Sunny 77°56°
Thu OCT 10 Partly Cloudy 80°59°
Fri OCT 11 Partly Cloudy 83°51°
That's not Indian Summer yet though. Isn't that after a frost?
Sat OCT 12 AM Showers 57°38°
Sun OCT 13 Sunny 65°40°
We frequently have 40 degree 24 hour temperature changes year-round.

quartz

scratching at the light
Cool enough today to wear a new sweater/coat!! But I have a T shirt underneath as its supposed to warm up later.
It's all about layers and I am still wearing summer shoes more than boots so far. We are definitely in the transition phase right now.

annie720

I have a dumpster sitting on the street in front of my house that's not allowed to be there if it snows. Don't know if the work will be done by late Wednesday. Arggggh! Who though it would snow this early!

Cachoo

We are in that wonderful space where it is chilly in the shade yet pleasantly warm in the sun. The heat of summer is history (hopefully.)

annie720

Currently 22F degrees with light snow in the Denver area. The leaves finally started to drop yesterday. Happy October 10th!

Last edited:
We’ve been much wetter than normal and cooler a little earlier. Usually Halloween is the first really cold day but this week we’ve had snow and heavy frosts overnight. I’m mentally preparing myself for a long winter :shuffle:

Susan1

It was 80 yesterday, and now there's bout two inches of snow at my house :) And it's going to be 70 again this weekend.
I knew someone who moved to Denver and he said there is a lot of snow but it melts faster because it is so dry? Not like Ohio, where the dirty piles of snow just hang around for months and get dirtier and taller.

So, I have the windows open again. 82* and cloudy. Low of 62 tonight. High of 58 Saturday. Sunny though with a low of 38, no precip. till Monday - rain.

These weather changes are not good for my rheumatoid arthritis.

Susan1

I finally turned the heat on today. The new digital thermostat for the furnace has not been below 70*, even when it was 36* yesterday morning. I wore a fall coat when I went out. (Shorts two weeks ago.) This morning at 6 a.m. the thermostat said 68*. It was 37* outside. So I turned it up to 70*. There was to be a chance of frost last night till 10 a.m. I haven't looked outside. It's going to be in the 70s again next weekend.

quartz

scratching at the light
Went down to 4C overnight, which is still sleeping with the windows wide open weather, as far as I’m concerned, so of course the husband turned on the heat. He set it at 68F and I turned it down to 62F before bed (yes our weather reports are in Celsius and our thermostat is in Fahrenheit) Besides being way too hot, I immediately feel desiccated once the heat is on, so double meh.
Blue skies and sunshine today, high of 12C which is perfect fall weather for me. We have a family dinner so I get to wear some of my cute and cozy autumn wardrobe.

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
Four days ago (this past Thrusday), the temp was around 93F. I woke up Friday morning to a low of 45F. So for nearly the first week and a half, we had scorching temperatures with a burn ban for most of northwestern Louisiana.

I had to suddenly change from my summer wardrobe to sweaters, sweatshirts, jackets and my fleece lounging pants and sweat pants. The high today will reach 66F.

Next week, the temperatures will be anywhere from the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's and back to the 80's by Saturday, October 19th. So there will be no way to predict what I need to wear day by day. I guess in the mornings, it will be sweaters and jackets. By the afternoons, I'll change to short sleeves and capri pants.

Susan1

The weather roller coaster continues - frost last night. I had the furnace set to 68* and it came on for 7 minutes at 10:30 this morning. It is now 76* outside (5 p.m.). Highs in the 50's tomorrow and Thursday. I wore a corduroy jacket out yesterday. Just a fleece top today.

I was watching a DVRd episode of Bull last night from three weeks ago. They were running a crawl of schools dismissing early the next day because of the heat.

Edited - that was only TWO weeks ago. I had three episodes. #1 from last night, #2 would be from last week, so #3 would be just two weeks ago.

Last edited:

Cachoo

Snowing the day before Halloween---blustery too. The kids will need to bundle up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information