As the Page Turns (the Book Thread)

puglover

I just downloaded "She Said: Breaking the sexual harassment story......". It may be just a rehash of details already public but the promos claim it goes into quite a bit of detail about the Weinstein company and how things went on for so long.

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
Staff member
I'm reading Magic for Liars - can't remember if I learned of it from someone here or elsewhere.

If you like Harry Potter (or especially if you find it all a bit too :rolleyes: ), and enjoy the Kinsey Milhone series, but think both could use some serious cynicism, this may be right up your alley. I like it, although I do wish it went a tiny bit deeper. It reads a little like a 2nd or 3rd draft that could stand some fleshing out.

MacMadame

Cat Lady-in-Training
You think the Kinsey Milhone series needs more cynicism? I find Milhone to be fairly cynical and sometimes the endings aren't particularly satisfying in the way Harry Potter books are.

PrincessLeppard

Holding Alex Johnson's Pineapple
I have to confess that I almost didn't finish the final book of the Unwind series, because I really did think
that Lev and Connor were dead, and holy shit was I angry. :lol:

I did like the series a great deal. I did skim parts of the fourth book that I felt were just padding, but for the most part, all four books hold up really well.

genevieve

Staff member
You think the Kinsey Milhone series needs more cynicism? I find Milhone to be fairly cynical and sometimes the endings aren't particularly satisfying in the way Harry Potter books are.
I don't know, I found one of those books in a free library last year, and even though Kinsey is cynical, she's also so gosh darned down home about it all. Maybe the difference is that it's a more contemporary cynicism.

Anyway, I finished the book and really liked it. Then I went on a futile field trip to a library that allegedly had a copy of Colson Whitehead's latest in their Peak Picks section. By the time I got there is was gone. Got Where'd You Go Bernadette instead - I remember when it was all the rage but missed it 6 years ago.

puglover

I mentioned the "She Said......" earlier. Just so very disheartening to read of all the people who knew/should have known something was very wrong but money, fame, prestige got in the way.

Erin

I read The Wife this week, which the movie is based on. I had seen the movie already and the movie is generally a faithful adaptation (with some understandable changes like the movie changes the Helsinki prize to the Nobel prize, cuts one of the daughters and changes a bit about the couple’s son). Anyway, if you liked one, you will like the other. I liked the additional insight the book gave into why Joan does what she does and how their actions impacted their family. I would read more by the author.

antmanb

I’ve mentioned it in sekret sources but I second Prancer’s recommendation of How To Build A Girl by Caitlin Moran. I haven’t laughed so much reading a book in a long time. Moran is three years older than me so every single reference to cartoons, comics, tv shows and music speaks almost exactly to the things I watched, read and listened to.

Apparently a film has been made of the book and it was released last week. I’ll be interested to see if it’s as funny as the book.

genevieve

Staff member
I’ve mentioned it in sekret sources but I second Prancer’s recommendation of How To Build A Girl by Caitlin Moran. I haven’t laughed so much reading a book in a long time. Moran is three years older than me so every single reference to cartoons, comics, tv shows and music speaks almost exactly to the things I watched, read and listened to.

Apparently a film has been made of the book and it was released last week. I’ll be interested to see if it’s as funny as the book.
So that's how that book made it on to my library list!

I really expected to love the book, as this type of story is right up my alley, but was really let down. Returned to the library about a third of the way in.

Erin

So that's how that book made it on to my library list!

I really expected to love the book, as this type of story is right up my alley, but was really let down. Returned to the library about a third of the way in.
Same here - basically an identical experience about a year or two ago. I’m glad to know I’m not the only person who didn’t click with this book.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)