Arutyunyan Interview from Rostelecom Cup

Spun Silver

With interesting comments on Nathan, Mariah, US junior men, Russian men, Medvedeva, and his (Raf's) aim to make skaters operate like Swiss watches. If it's already been posted I couldn't find it - mods, feel free to remove.
When they bring a 19 year-old girl to me and say “She is still young”. To which I usually reply: “Young? Young for marriage?” And I start working with her. Now I work with Maria Bell, she is 22. Well, how can I make her work like a Swiss mechanism, when she stopped falling just a couple of years ago? ...

[In Russia] I like Kolyada, Lazukin, Kovtun. But in America I hardly like any of the juniors. Nathan Chen – more or less.

The interviewer is Veronika Sovetova for Tass.
https://fs-gossips.com/rafael-arutyunyan-athletes-who-want-to-win-should-work-like-swiss-watches/

Tinami Amori

:D

In this country, they are very fond of their coaches, because they praise and support. They scare skaters with me (laughs). Later, when they are 18–19 years old, they come to me – “help”, but what can I do? I spread my hands “What are you doing, bunny, where have you been before?”, “Where did you learn this?”. For them I’m mean, and I’m not mean, I just tell the truth: I call white white, and black black.

Still, there are those who come to me and say: “I want to win the Olympics, do with me whatever is needed.” This is different conversation.

So a conflict is still needed?
– It’s not necessary to hate, but the conflict between an athlete and a coach is permanent. But when an athlete starts arguing with me, I often remind him: “What did you say to me when you came? So go and do that.”

There is another Russian article from him from GP Moscow, expanded version on same subjects and more.
http://www.sport-express.ru/figure-...-zagitova-rafael-arutyunyan-intervyu-1482368/

few parts... :lol:
Russian text:
– А как же 16-летняя Рика Кихира с тремя тройными акселями на две программы? Создается впечатление, что четверные нужны, чтобы не оказаться аутсайдерами после технической революции.
– Так учиться прыгать можно, но должно быть особое подведение к таким сложным прыжкам, cтрогий учет веса и анализ состояния. Вы знаете, что девочка за неделю может наесть немного, прыгнуть и получить травму? Родители взяли на отдых и она просто завтракала лучше обычного.

– Так разве тренер не может остановить?
– Кто-то скажет, а кто-то нет. В Америке вообще нельзя сказать: "Ты поправилась". Это подсудное дело. Она может стать анорексиком и виноват будешь ты. Ну а со своими девочками стараюсь работать очень аккуратно, вожу их в зал, укрепляю суставы. Вокруг суставов ведь находятся суставная сумка, мышцы, которые их держат. Чем лучше они будут проработаны – тем меньше будет травм. Время ограничено и есть выбор: 28 четверных или три и последующее восстановление. Если пришел к тренеру – слушай, что он говорит, и он выведет тебя туда, куда ты хочешь.

English translation:
Q: - and what about 16 year old Rika Kihira with three 3A in 2 programmes? Looks like quads are necessary not to become an "outsider" in the skating technical revolution?

A: - No reason for not learning the jumps, yet there must be a special approach to such difficult jumps, harsh evaluation (consideration) of the body weight and analysis of one's condition. Do you know that girl (skater) can overeat a little bit, then try a jump and hurt herself?

Q: - But why can't a trainer tell her to stop?
A: - Some can say it, some can't. In America one absolutely can not say "You gained weight" (to a student skater). They will sue you. If she becomes anorexic, they'll blame you. And with my girls i try to tread lightly, take them to the gym, strengthen the joints. Around the joints there are joint capsules, muscles, which hold it. The better they are trained - the less injuries. Time is limited and there is a choice: 28 quads or 3, and then the healing. If you came to the trainer - listen to what he tells you, and he will take you where you want to be.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...

DreamSkates

Yes, for athletes who want to go to the top in competition, a coach has to be honest, and it will take much hard work. Coaches aren't coaches just to be supportive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information