Anyone here into watching soaps?

Cachoo

I watched "Nolly" on Masterpiece the last three weeks and it is about a woman who was something of a legend in British soaps. Helena Bonham Carter played Nolly and it was fun seeing the soap production at that time and place. Good show...

vgerdes

My mom and my aunts used to watch Days of Out Lives when I was a kid and it was always on in the background. I would watch it occasionally when I was bored, so I got somewhat of a sense of the characters and their relationships. I started really watching it when Marlena got possessed by the devil and the stories got ridiculous. I didn't care so much about the romance, but tell me more about this lady being buried alive. :lol:

For soap opera purists, I guess I was part of the problem, because I loved when the plots got hella stupid. Half the town being murdered with one of the bodies stuffed into a pinata? I was there for it. Someone turning into a dead princess/art thief because of a chip in her head? Love it.

I was really excited when Passions started because it was going to be all stupid plotlines and a chance to start a show from the beginning. But the tedious repetitive dialogue and the constant flashbacks got old so fast and made the story so slow.

I loved the stupid, unbelievable plotlines too. Part of the fun of soaps to me was that they were pure, unadulterated camp. But the shows I loved the most are off the air now. :(

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
I can't begin to say how long I have watched General Hospital. I would watch during summer vacation from high school with my mom. I watched when Dr. Hardy and his wife, Audry was on the show. I remember when Luke and Laura first got married. And then of course, there was the plot to freeze Port Charles by the House of Cassadine. And then there was a situation with a girl named Heather that hid a gun in her baby doll. Now I don't know for sure, but it may be the same Heather Webber that's on GH now.

And then there's The Young and the Restless. I watched the very first day that it was aired. There was the Abbot family, the Brooks family, The Foster family, and the Chancellor family. I didn't keep it up with the show the way I have with General Hospital. I do know that Jack Abbott, Phillip Chancellor, Nikki and a few others are still on the show.

My favorite was All My Children. I believe Erica Kane had 7 husbands in all. And finally this happened for Susan Luci who played Erica Kane in 1999. I was so happy for her! Even Oprah Winfrey was happy for her!

Desperado

I can't begin to say how long I have watched General Hospital. I would watch during summer vacation from high school with my mom. I watched when Dr. Hardy and his wife, Audry was on the show. I remember when Luke and Laura first got married. And then of course, there was the plot to freeze Port Charles by the House of Cassadine. And then there was a situation with a girl named Heather that hid a gun in her baby doll. Now I don't know for sure, but it may be the same Heather Webber that's on GH now.
It's the same Heather character but not the same actress. Hayley Mills is now playing her because the fantastic Robin Mattson has health issues.

Simone411

It's the same Heather character but not the same actress. Hayley Mills is now playing her because the fantastic Robin Mattson has health issues.
Thank you because I knew that Heather Webber didn't look the same. I remember now about Robin having health issues.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Ten years ago I won a Y&R set visit in an auction, and I wrote a blog all about it. It gives some details on how they do the filming and the actors we got to meet if you want to check it out 😊

Simone411

Thank you so much for sharing, @TanithandBenFan! What an awesome experience you had, and congrats for winning the charity auction.

Several years ago, or should I say ages ago, I decided to write a short "soap" of my own. I may have even shared it here a few years back. I decided to use every title of a soap opera that I could think of and write it in a way that made sense.

And here's the "soap".

A Soap Opera

Every day As the World Turns, All MY Children Search for Tomorrow without
thinking about The Guiding Light to lead them. It seems that The Young and the
Restless wish to be The Bold and The Beautiful not realizing their Secret Storms
leave Dark Shadows.

Is that really Where the Heart Is of the matter?
Maybe The Doctors at General Hospital can heal the wounds and look forward to
Brighter Days, and The Love of Life will still linger as The Edge of Night
approaches.

They wish they could escape to Another World knowing that Love is a
Many Splendored Thing, and The Days of Our Lives isn't just another Peyton Place
located in Somerset just off of Route 66.

Cachoo

I have a friend who dated and slept with Erica Kane's aborted fetus who was brought back to life
I was an All My Children fan since 1970
Good gawd some of the outrageous plots and twists—I think they are a staple in American soaps. The list would be long spanning across every show.

Yehudi

AITA
That storyline pissed me off. When Erica went to NYC to get an abortion in the 70s, it was groundbreaking. No one complained.
His intro was too similar to Kendall’s - she has an employee from hell who turns out to be a long lost offspring.

My three soaps were Santa Barbara (watched from the time Eden was pretending to be Channing til the end), AMC (started watching when Sara Michelle Gellar was Kendall) and One Life to Live (watched during the Marty Saybrook trial. Stopped after 2008)

Simone411

His intro was too similar to Kendall’s - she has an employee from hell who turns out to be a long lost offspring.

My three soaps were Santa Barbara (watched from the time Eden was pretending to be Channing til the end), AMC (started watching when Sara Michelle Gellar was Kendall) and One Life to Live (watched during the Marty Saybrook trial. Stopped after 2008)
But she wasn't just Erica's long lost offspring. Erica was raped when she was 14 years old by her father's best friend, Richard Fields. Erica gave up her daughter, Kendall Hart, for adoption because of that.

Cachoo

But she wasn't just Erica's long lost offspring. Erica was raped when she was 14 years old by her father's best friend, Richard Fields. Erica gave up her daughter, Kendall Hart, for adoption because of that.
Probably not a complete list but here is this soap opera tidbit:
Every soap opera has featured a male character who raped a female character - but then be reformed as a regular member of society. and even a fan favorite of the female viewers! Some shows have even had two or three rapists who were later redeemed as a hero!

So what does this say about rape being taken seriously on Soap Operas?

All My Children - Rapist Ross Chandler - Victim Natalie Hunter

As The World Turns - Rapist John Dixon - Victim Kim Reynolds (Martial Rape)

Another World - Rapist Jake McKinnon - Victim Marley Love

Bold & Beautiful - Rapist Thomas Forrester - Victim Caroline Spencer II

Days of our Lives - Rapist Jack Deveraux - Victim Kayla Brady

General Hospital - Rapist Luke Spencer - Victim Laura Baldwin

Guiding Light - Rapist Roger Thorpe - Victim Holly Thorpe

Loving - Rapist Danny Roberts - Victim Ally Rescott (though Ally framed Danny for Rape, to avenge her husband killing, but later fell in love with her husband's killer!)

Ryan's Hope - Rapist Roger Coleridge - Victim Maggie Shelby (attempted rape)

One Life To Live - Rapist Todd Manning - Victim Marty Saybrooke

Santa Barbara - Rapist Dash Nichols - Victim Julia Wainwright

Texas - Rapist Justin Marshall - Victim Reena Bellman

Young & Restless - Rapist Michael Baldwin - Victim Christine Blair (attempted rape)

Hopefully this doesn't happen anymore...

vgerdes

Probably not a complete list but here is this soap opera tidbit:
Every soap opera has featured a male character who raped a female character - but then be reformed as a regular member of society. and even a fan favorite of the female viewers! Some shows have even had two or three rapists who were later redeemed as a hero!

So what does this say about rape being taken seriously on Soap Operas?

All My Children - Rapist Ross Chandler - Victim Natalie Hunter

As The World Turns - Rapist John Dixon - Victim Kim Reynolds (Martial Rape)

Another World - Rapist Jake McKinnon - Victim Marley Love

Bold & Beautiful - Rapist Thomas Forrester - Victim Caroline Spencer II

Days of our Lives - Rapist Jack Deveraux - Victim Kayla Brady

General Hospital - Rapist Luke Spencer - Victim Laura Baldwin

Guiding Light - Rapist Roger Thorpe - Victim Holly Thorpe

Loving - Rapist Danny Roberts - Victim Ally Rescott (though Ally framed Danny for Rape, to avenge her husband killing, but later fell in love with her husband's killer!)

Ryan's Hope - Rapist Roger Coleridge - Victim Maggie Shelby (attempted rape)

One Life To Live - Rapist Todd Manning - Victim Marty Saybrooke

Santa Barbara - Rapist Dash Nichols - Victim Julia Wainwright

Texas - Rapist Justin Marshall - Victim Reena Bellman

Young & Restless - Rapist Michael Baldwin - Victim Christine Blair (attempted rape)

Hopefully this doesn't happen anymore...

Thankfully, some of the shows finally started addressing how effed up this well-used trope was. But it was a long time coming.

I always appreciated how One Life to Live's Roger Howarth, who played Todd Manning, resisted the idea of portraying him as a heroic character. He was actually pretty horrified by the way fans would scream "rape me Todd!" at public appearances (I believe that's why he stopped doing them). It gave me more respect for him as an actor.

Last edited:

Cachoo

I think the British soaps are probably always ahead on social issues because they are more rooted in reality. But I do remember something about a soap I didn't watch and that was the character of Jessie on "All My Children." I think this was mid-80's and finally a black character wasn't a sidekick or window dressing. He seemed to be a heartthrob for all of the females who watched the show. I remember at the same time I went to observe at a high school with a very mixed population. Years before the white people ruled the school. I was there for the Homecoming assembly. Almost all of the boys nominated for king were black. The girls were a little bit of everybody. Maybe not huge progress...but definitely different from the previous generations.

Desperado

I think the British soaps are probably always ahead on social issues because they are more rooted in reality. But I do remember something about a soap I didn't watch and that was the character of Jessie on "All My Children." I think this was mid-80's and finally a black character wasn't a sidekick or window dressing. He seemed to be a heartthrob for all of the females who watched the show. I remember at the same time I went to observe at a high school with a very mixed population. Years before the white people ruled the school. I was there for the Homecoming assembly. Almost all of the boys nominated for king were black. The girls were a little bit of everybody. Maybe not huge progress...but definitely different from the previous generations.
Yes, Jesse Hubbard played by the wonderful Darnell Williams. He also got to be a good (IIRC) police detective and be part of a super couple with Angie (fabulous Debbi Morgan).

I think it’s fair to say that Agnes Nixon had a lot to do with the progressive aspects of ABC soaps.

Soaps also have given work to so many great actors. Yes, a number of them went on to popular stardom (ex. Meg Ryan and Michelle Forbes one of my all-time favourites) but those who simply toiled day in and day out with maybe theatre work on the side (ex. Elizabeth Hubbard) gave unforgettable performances too.

Desperado

Ten years ago I won a Y&R set visit in an auction, and I wrote a blog all about it. It gives some details on how they do the filming and the actors we got to meet if you want to check it out 😊

This sounds like such a wonderful and fun experience with actors being so down to earth and generous when meeting you.

Of all the soap actors, Christian would be at the top of my list for a fun lunch. Many years later he’s rocking his white hair and killing it on Broadway and on the show. Respect.

Simone411

We voted for a "white beauty" and a " black beauty" in high school for every grade which was the 8th grade through 12th (senior). There was also second place and third place beauties that were in our high school yearbooks. The 8th grade was in the same high school where I went. I was in the 8th grade in 1972 and graduated in 1976.

Our Homecoming also included one white Queen and one Black Queen. The rest of the court was from the Junior, Sophomore, Freshman and 8th grade. That's how it was at my high school, and we wouldn't have had it any other way. So I guess my town made progress early.

smurfy

I loved Another World - glad others remember it as well.
Watched GH in college - with Luke & Laura - more cuz everyone in my dorm was watching it and we had watch parties on Friday with cocktails. Due to covid - I have seen some of GH. ITA with characters dying and coming back. Nicholas will be back.
I did watch Days back in the 70s - I remember when Hope and Jennifer were born.
Back in the day I loved Dallas & Knots.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
When I was in school, I dashed home to watch Dark Shadows. But I didn't watch any of the others until I was married to my first husband and was staying home for the first few years. I watched All My Children, One Life to Live, General Hospital, and Young & Restless. Once I started working, I didn't have time to watch anymore, which is probably just as well. :p

emason

I used to be an avid soap watcher back in the day and by back in the day I mean I started in the late 50s. I rushed home from school at lunchtime so I could watch Love of Life and I rushed home after school to make sure I didn’t miss The Secret Storm or Edge of Night, Young Doctor Malone, Our Five Daughters, From These Roots, Love is a Many Splendored Thing, etc., etc. I remember Dick Van Patten in probably his only villainous role stuck in a wheelchair pretending to be paralyzed so his rich girlfriend wouldn’t break up with him on Young Doctor Malone. I remember when the future JR, Larry Hagman, was just starting out in Edge of Night. Early shows were broadcast live and there was the day that Julie Bovasso walked off the set of From These Roots in the middle of the broadcast because she was pissed about something. Then there was the groundbreaking plot on Young Doctor Malone where Diana Hyland played a character dying of lupus. Years later One Life to Live had a lupus plot and all the soap rags carried on about how groundbreaking it was. Sorry, nope, Young Doctor Malone got there first.

Last edited:

annie720

When I was in school, I dashed home to watch Dark Shadows. But I didn't watch any of the others until I was married to my first husband and was staying home for the first few years. I watched All My Children, One Life to Live, General Hospital, and Young & Restless. Once I started working, I didn't have time to watch anymore, which is probably just as well. :p
I didn't start watching General Hospital until I was staying home with a preemie for several months. It coincided with his naps and I would make myself a plate of nachos and relax in front of the TV. I believe this started just as the Colton Shore character was introduced and I really got into that storyline.

Cachoo

I used to be an avid soap watcher back in the day and by back in the day I mean I started in the late 50s. I rushed home from school at lunchtime so I could watch Love of Life and I rushed home after school to make sure I didn’t miss The Secret Storm or Edge of Night, Young Doctor Malone, Our Five Daughters, From These Roots, Love is a Many Splendored Thing, etc., etc. I remember Dick Van Patten in probably his only villainous role stuck in a wheelchair pretending to be paralyzed so his rich girlfriend wouldn’t break up with him on Young Doctor Malone. I remember when the future JR, Larry Hagman, was just starting out in Edge of Night. Early shows were broadcast live and there was the day that Julie Bovasso walked off the set of From These Roots in the middle of the broadcast because she was pissed about something. Then there was the groundbreaking plot on Young Doctor Malone where Diana Hyland played a character dying of lupus. Years later One Life to Live had a lupus plot and all the soap rags carried on about how groundbreaking it was. Sorry, nope, Young Doctor Malone got there first.
I’ve never heard of a few of these shows. I suppose it all traces back to radio at some point.

Simone411

Oh Gosh, I remember watching The Secret Storm in the late 60's during my summer vacation from school. Now I didn't see the particular episode where Joan Crawford took over Christina's role while she was in the hospital recovering. I believe it was in 1968.

I know most of you have probably watched Mommie Dearest where Christina nearly died after seeing her mom play the part. Christina said something like "She can't play my role. She's too old!" Christina's character was in her young 20's and she was engaged about to be married.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My soaps are like comfort food for me. I watch YR on my lunch break and GH while I eat dinner. Even though YR has been beyond awful the last few years I can’t quit it because it’s been a part of my life for so long. The only time I didn’t watch were the years I was in elementary school before we got a VCR in 1988. It was funny because one day my dad watched while he was on vacation, and he got so hooked that he was the one who made my mom start recording it lol.

Our school let out at 1:45 and the bus would drop us off at 1:55, so my sister and I were always home in time for Guiding Light and a snack of cheese and crackers 😄 We used to play pretend GL where she was always Mindy and I was Roxie or Beth. 80s GL was the best!

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
A friend’s mom was a diehard fan of All My Children. During get-together where we would go into long discussions dissecting every last thing*, her dad would smile, shake his head, and say “Oh, that Erica!”

Susan Lucci was a genius for being able to keep people so engaged with her character for so long, that roller coaster of thinking she was a selfish beast, then feeling empathy for her, and loving, then hating then loving and hating her at the same time. Her problem was that this didn’t translate into the curated Emmy-selection reels of Big, Scenery-chewers and Weepers that were submitted for the awards.

*Which reminds me of a small post-competition discussion when we inevitably started to discuss 2002 Olympics Pairs. Lee’s husband asked, astonished, “Are you still all talking about that?” ( :wuzrobbed Lee)

My father had a huge crush on Raven on the Edge of Night. I was glad that the actress, Sharon Gabet, was on Another World for a few years, after EoN closed up shop.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information