American Idol - Season 19

vgerdes

Agree with you about Cecil. 100%. The judges were kinder to him than they should have been, IMO, because his solo was TERRIBLE. Nasal, off key and wobbly. Worst vocal I've heard on this show in a while. I mean, I know he was incredibly nervous, but it was still bad. He was better on the duet, but I still have no idea how he made it to top 24. He's one of those who would have benefitted from getting some more performing experience under his belt before auditioning. He's not ready for this. But he's cute enough that he'll probably get enough votes to stay even though he shouldn't.

I was not nearly as wowed by Alana as you were, however. She's good at performing to the audience, but I wasn't that impressed with her actual vocals.

Last edited:

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't think much of these judges - everything seems to be about them showing off & acting silly so most years I wait for the live shows before I watch. But I did watch last night's show & to be honest I didn't see anyone that I think would be a mainstream successful singer in RL. This coming from someone who has never seen these people before. None of the girls impressed me even Grace. No way was she better than Joss. I liked DeShawn & Willie the most. I don't think this crop of singers compare to any of the groups that Simon, Randy, & Paula put together. Time will tell.

BaileyCatts

Good lord Nasal Boy was just awful awful awful!!! He sounded like the way comedians and drunk people make fun of Bob Dylan singing. At least the kid he beat out for that last spot would have been more entertaining. There is no way he should have been Top 24 as poorly as he sings. Please let him be a first round cut!

There's still too many people for me too keep them straight. I'll have to start picking favorites when its down to like 10. :lol:

vgerdes

So ... Casey Bishop. There's just something about this girl that I love. I don't know that a female rocker has ever won this show, and I think she has the ability to do it, but we'll see. There's still a lot of competition left.

PeterG

1. Ava August – WOW!!! And the winner of American Idol is…
2. Casey Bishop – Another WOW! This kid is amazing!
3. Colin Jamieson – I laughed when he yelled “SING!” to an audience filled with his competitors on a singing competition show. :lol:
4. Liahona Olayan – The duet was stronger than the solo performance. It almost made me overlook the scraggly hair and grey sweatpants. :eek:
5. Caleb Kennedy – Not really a fan of his, but he did a good job of what he was supposed to do.
6. Beane – I really like him but making a ballad out of a dance hit was misguided. He was great on “Angel” duet with Josh.
7. Mary Jo Young – I can see her making it as a pop star. She needs experience under her belt, though.
8. Madison Watkins – I’m wondering if she was a pageant girl. I didn’t connect with her, she was trying too hard.
9. Chayce Beckham - As a singer, he is handsome.
10. Jason Warrior – I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone over-sing the way Jason did tonight. Not pleasant to listen to.
11. Hunter Metts – His version of Chandelier sucked ALL the life out of it. Plus, why did he choose to play back-up singer to Kristen Wiig doing a hilarious parody of Jewel?
12. Hannah Everheart – Yikes. Poor kid. That was awful! ☹

taf2002

I just watched the 2nd 12. I am probably influenced by the poor selection of songs by just about everyone but I thought the majority did badly on at least one or both of their songs.

Ava was my fav although her 1st song was unmelodic. She was so beautiful on her duet - of course she got to sing with Josh Groban but that didn't help Beane. I thought he was awful on both songs. My 2nd fav was Casey. I would have liked better songs from her but she overcame that handicap for me. Everyone else was meh. My sister liked Madison the best but I disagree. Tori Kelly out-sang her so much that it was painful. That was true of most of them for me. Maybe when there's just 16 left the really bad one will be culled out. We can only hope.

PeterG

I didn’t enjoy any performance in the first hour. Luckily there were four or five good performances in the second hour, as the suckage was really bumming me out, dude.

Plus the judges seem WAY more full of sh** than in previous years. I’m not finding anything valid in what they say. I should remember tomorrow to fast forward over everything they say.

What was with so many contestants making a ballad out of their song choice? Why not pick a ballad if you want to sing a ballad? In a similar vein, every arrangement that was newly created for the songs tonight were awful. Unless you are a brilliant arranger, don’t change up the song that you have chosen.

When do contestants get a wardrobe budget? “Come as you are” should not be your wardrobe theme when you get chosen to be on a national television show.

My last complaint is I hated ¾ of the song choices tonight. Feelin’ Good, Use Somebody, That’s Life, Wicked Game. YUCK!

1. Madison Watkins – Gravity. WOW. So good! Plus I love that she dressed to WIN.
2. Beane – Searching For A Feeling
3. Ava August – 2002. As good as Beane, but bland in comparison.
4. Casey Bishop – Black Hole Sun. I don’t like this song, but she sang the heck out of that.
5. Hunter Metts – Skinny Love. His best performance to date.
6. Grace Kinstler – Elastic Heart. She tried too hard. ☹
7. Alyssa Wray – Killing Me Softly
8. Chayce Beckham – Waiting In Vain.
9. Graham DeFranco – That’s Life
10. Alanis Sophia – The Story. She over-sang that. ☹
11. Cassandra Colemen – Wicked Game.
12. Colin Jamieson – Everybody Wants To Rule The World. Probably would have been WAY better if he had stood still instead of running all over the stage.
13. DeShawn Concalves – Feelin’ Good. No I wasn’t.
14. Wyatt Pike – Use Somebody. Trainwreck!!!
15. Caleb Kennedy – Midnight Train To Memphis. He sounded like a Chris Stapleton wannabe.
16. Willie Spence – Set Fire To The Rain. Performance ruined by the awful arrangement.

Last edited:

taf2002

@PeterG, I agree about the arrangements. They were just awkward & in many cases non-melodious. Cassandra & Alyssa were the worst offenders with an honorable mention to DeShawn. And I think there's no need for anyone to ever sing Everybody Wants To Rule the World (Colin) ever again. I didn't even recognize some of the songs until they got into the chorus. Someone should tell these people that different isn't always better. And it doesn't show craftmanship if the product hurts the ears. I wasn't really wowed by anyone - I think I would have been by Casey if she had sung something else. Plus the way she pronounces words is strange. And I like Alanis Sophia too but I agree with the over-singing. I want to like Madison but there's something off-putting about her singing. I don't think any of them have star power.

Last edited:

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
I decided to TiVo and started watching around 9:30, fast forwarding through all the performances that missed the mark and all of the judges comments and commercials. I finished watching live. Yup, 30 minutes of decent content in 2 hours.

I have to give the voters props for most of the eliminations. Cecil and Hannah, particularly. I have no clue why the judges thought those two would be able to succeed.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
So I've only watched this show one season and decided it wasn't my thing but I check this thread periodically just to keep up on any pop culture trends. Which leaves me with the question... what was going on with the Conways? I know the kid was a contestant but clearly didn't make it far as she's not in the list Peter posted. And also Kellyanne showed up and sang? What was that about?

I need to know these things so I can make appropriate noises when the subject comes up in Zoom parties. ;)

Thanks in advance.

Aceon6

I need to know these things so I can make appropriate noises when the subject comes up in Zoom parties. ;)
Young Conway can’t sing. They kept her as long as they could, but...
Kellyann needs a hair intervention, stylist and a makeup person. Private life isn’t agreeing with her.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Young Conway can’t sing. They kept her as long as they could, but...
Kellyann needs a hair intervention, stylist and a makeup person. Private life isn’t agreeing with her.
Thanks. I had heard she had a nice voice somewhere. So maybe she can sing like a normal person can sing. These people need way more skills than that.

BaileyCatts

Whenever I hear people sing that Whitney song that Alyssa sang all I hear in my head is Randy
Watson. 😆

Last edited:

PeterG

YES! Tonight must have been the first night contestants were given a wardrobe budget, because people looked GOOD! :40beers:

And it took bringing back Paula Abdul for contestants to get some actual constructive criticism. Maybe ABC/AI need to save some money and will replace Katy Perry and her 25 million dollars per season and let Paula take her place.

My rankings for tonight:
  1. Beane – Grow As We Go. Not perfect, but very good.
  2. Hunter Metts – I Can’t Make You Love Me. Hunter just keeps getting better every performance.
  3. Ava August – Love Of My Life. If she had chosen a different song, I probably would have ranked her first. This song made her voice sound very plain.
  4. Madison Watkins – Hotline Bling
  5. Colin Jamieson – Waves
  6. Graham DeFranco – Cover Me Up
  7. Casey Bishop – House Of The Rising Sun. Casey always does a great job…of singing songs that I do not like.
  8. Willie Spence – Diamonds. He sounded strained. Like he had to force his vocals out of his body.
  9. Grace Kinstler – Dangerous Woman. That arrangement was awful. It was bombastic whereas the original version was slinky and sexy.
  10. Chayce Beckham – What Brings Life Also Kills. Watch Chayce with your TV muted and he is really good.
  11. DeShawn Concalves – Higher Ground
  12. Alanis Sophia – Heart Attack. Every week she falls further down the hill. Can we all go back and watch her nail Uninvited?
  13. Alyssa Wray – Greatest Love Of All. This is the part of the beauty pageant where the frontrunner gets kicked out of the competition after what she does in the talent part of the competition.
  14. Cassandra Coleman – Light On. Very shaky vocals! :eek:
  15. Caleb Kennedy – Nowhere. Awful song. Very dirge-like. Monotone vocals. Horrible!

Aceon6

Hmmm. America seems to be getting this voting thing right. Of the 5 left out, they really didn’t need to save anyone, but Madison and Beane had good performances, so that’s fine. Of the Top 12, my ears want Caleb to go, but that probably means I’m stuck with him until the final.

taf2002

I've watched the 2 nights of the top 24 & last night's show & none of the critiques. So I'm not influenced by the judges' favorites or any other outside factors. So far I'm waiting for the cream to rise to the top. I think a couple of people have that ability but at this point it sounds like talent night at the high school. I had picked Madison & Beane to be in the bottom 6 but last night I also picked them to be saved by the judges. For me Ava was the best of the night but Beane was a close 2nd.

PeterG

I was surprised by how America voted. So I went to youtube and searched for "American Idol 2021". You can sort results by view count. Below is a list of who had the video with the most views. If there is an asterisk after their name, each asterisk means another video of theirs appeared in the results before I found the person with the least number of views (Graham in last place):

Youtube view count:

1. Grace Kinstler ***
2. Casey Bishop *
3. Willie Spence ****
4. Alyssa Wray **
5. Chayce Beckham *
6. Cassandra Coleman
7. Alanis Sophia **
8. Caleb Kennedy
9. Beane **
10. Hunter Metts
11. Ava August
12. DeShawn Concalves
13. Madison Watkins
14. Colin Jamieson
15. Graham DeFranco

genevieve

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger (she/her)
Staff member
From what I can see, he traveled to Utah which would have violated the show’s bubble.
Interesting. I came to the thread just because my internets this morning was all about the "mysterious" departure of a front runner. This explanation makes sense and is also really boring :lol:

moebius

I actually like Caleb's original song. It's better than any other song that he has sang so far.
Wished that Anilee (not as boring as Cassandra), Liahona (she's got spunk) or Jason (yes, his performances are over the top, but he's got a better voice than most of the other contestants) made it to the top 16 instead of Cassandra.
Agree that most of the arrangements were awful, especially 'Greatest Love Of All', 'Set the Fire To The Rain', and 'Higher Ground'.
I don't get the Grace love. She's okay, but not that special. I prefer Ava over Grace, and I don't think Ava is that great either.
Based on Monday night's performances, I liked Madison and Beane (the judges picks), Caleb, Colin.
Deshawn looks awkward and timid on stage when he does upbeat songs. Nice voice, though.
My pick for the win so far is Madison (didn't really get her at the start of the show until this week. She has the most personality amongst the rest), Beane, or Willie. I would add Casey to the list if she would show more attitude and angst in those rock songs. Of course, I don't think Madison or Beane have much of a chance to win since they are judges picks. And based on past history, judges picks never win. Most likely they will be the first ones to be eliminated.

Last edited:

PeterG

...I think there's no need for anyone to ever sing Everybody Wants To Rule the World (Colin) ever again.r.

:eek: I love that song. Love everything by Tears For Fears, though. :D

I decided to TiVo and started watching around 9:30, fast forwarding through all the performances that missed the mark and all of the judges comments and commercials. I finished watching live. Yup, 30 minutes of decent content in 2 hours.

I have to give the voters props for most of the eliminations. Cecil and Hannah, particularly. I have no clue why the judges thought those two would be able to succeed.

Down to 30 minutes? Well done! :lol: As for Cecil and Hannah, I think the judges put through a certain number of people they don't particularly like so that their favourites end up doing better.

So I've only watched this show one season and decided it wasn't my thing but I check this thread periodically just to keep up on any pop culture trends. Which leaves me with the question... what was going on with the Conways? I know the kid was a contestant but clearly didn't make it far as she's not in the list Peter posted. And also Kellyanne showed up and sang? What was that about?

Thanks in advance.

I think I was the only one who thought Claudia was okay. She's just young and inexperienced. If she takes some time to do as much live performing as she can, I think she could do much better if she tries again in a few years. Kellyanne only sang very briefly when Claudia finished a performance and I think Claudia did an eyeroll and Mom stopped. :lol:

taf2002

:eek: I love that song. Love everything by Tears For Fears, though. :D
Yes but has there ever been a singing contest or a karaoke night where someone didn't sing it? I liked it at first too.

PeterG

Why did wyatt drop out? Hard searching on tiny phone. 😆

I read somewhere that his sister has been dealing with mental health issues. And that he tweeted between the Sunday and Monday shows something about home and feeling good about being there. So I wondered if he was back with his family supporting his sister.

Although in my head, when Lionel over-praised him and said that Wyatt would be doing music for the rest of his life, I wondered if Wyatt thought, "Who needs this competition? I must already be a superstar with that praise!!" :lol:

Hmmm. America seems to be getting this voting thing right. Of the 5 left out, they really didn’t need to save anyone, but Madison and Beane had good performances, so that’s fine. Of the Top 12, my ears want Caleb to go, but that probably means I’m stuck with him until the final.

NOOOOOOO!!!! :yikes:

I had picked Madison & Beane to be in the bottom 6 but last night I also picked them to be saved by the judges. For me Ava was the best of the night but Beane was a close 2nd.

You thought America would not vote for Beane (and Madison) even though you liked them personally? They are two of my favourites, so when they didn't get voted into the top ten, I knew to not grow more attached to them, because their days are numbered. :fragile:

taf2002

You thought America would not vote for Beane (and Madison) even though you liked them personally? They are two of my favourites, so when they didn't get voted into the top ten, I knew to not grow more attached to them, because their days are numbered. :fragile:
I thought they would be in the bottom because I didn't like them. But when the 5 "sang for their lives" I thought Madison & Beane did the best. But that's not saying much. I thought the other 3 was dreck.

vgerdes

They put Willie Spence in the showcase spot tonight, and he DELIVERED. Big time. I have to agree with Lionel. It was a religious experience. I haven't been that impressed with him up to now, but that was amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information