American Idol Reboot

moebius

Laine. I said it during the Hawaii rounds and I'll say it again. Lanie Hardy is the 2019 American Idol. So there :p :p :p

Although I predicted him being the winner at the beginning of the season, I'm not so sure now. It seems that the judges weren't too excited when Laine made it to the top 4 compared to Madison and Alejandro (judges were super excited when he made it thru). Of course, that's their opinion and the rest of the country still has a say as to who they want to win. I still think he has a good shot at making it to the top, but I won't be surprised if he loses to Alejandro, since Alejandro has a much larger fanbase than Laine. Of course that doesn't mean all his fans vote or are able to vote for him. We'll see...

vgerdes

I've been thinking that it was going to be a Laine v. Madison finale, but now I'm pretty sure it's going to be Laine v. Alejandro... who is way more popular than I'd realized. To me, his voice just doesn't cut it.

Susan1

Comparing somebody like Adam or Kelly Clarkson, etc. to any of these contestants, and I know "kids today" just buy downloads of songs, but what kind of "album" (lots of "..."!) would people buy. Or what kind of 2 hour concert could they put on - Laine included? They would all end up in the Taylor Hicks box.

PeterG

Does anyone know the name of the song playing (or the artist) when Riley Thompson was put through to the top 20? I've used Shazam and Soundhound but there isn't enough of the song played for any success there. Here's what I could get from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gQzbj2YJAY

Megi

Neat! So............his last album was in 2016?

Ultimate Classic Rock? I may have to read more articles. :)

Yup, looks like it was 2016.

And I love the Ultimate Classic Rock website, they have some really good writers.

moebius

I wish that Alejandro and Laine were competing in different seasons so that both can win. Alejandro is probably the most unique contestant that has ever competed on the show. He doesn't fit the mold of the American Idol. Laine does. I think Laine would benefit more from the win than Alejandro b/c being the winner means that show has most of the creative control which is opposite of what Alejandro believes in.

I'm predicting Alejandro as the winner and Laine as the runner up, but would like Laine as the winner. However it is not out of the question that Laine could be the winner. Who knows, maybe Madison could pull an upset and win.

AI alumni update:
For those of you living close to the San Francisco bay area, DeAndre Brackensick from season 11 will be playing at Yoshi's in Oakland. He's playing in the same venue as Kenny G, Bruce Hornsby, Boz Scaggs, Bobby Caldwell, Branford Marsalis, Natalie Cole, En Vogue, Jody Watley, Maxi Priest, The Spinners, Tony, Toni, Tone, El Debarge, Howard Jones, Oleta Adams, and Paula Cole.

Last edited:

Susan1

So... Madison, Laine and Alejandro are going to the finale. Ho hum. Exactly as expected.
They had them sing in the order of elimination (1 Wade, 2 Laci - both out) in all three rounds. I wonder why they had Alejandro sing last in the last group of songs - an original song.
After Laine's first two songs, I was getting a major Wayne Newton vibe. Then he sang Hey Jude and I figured yes, he's going to win.
A fast Elton John song didn't do Laci any favors, even though she was already out of the top three.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
So... Madison, Laine and Alejandro are going to the finale. Ho hum. Exactly as expected.

It's not what I expected. After last week I thought the 1st 2 would be Alejandro & Wade with either Madison or Laine as the 3rd. It's what the judges seemed to want.

As Wade was croaking out his songs last night I thought about what kind of record he could possibly put out & who the hell would buy it? All 3 of the judges praised him every week but would they put his songs in rotation on their iTunes?

BaileyCatts

Here is my Top 5 order:

5: Laci. Good gawd she blew it with that Elton John song. Who told her to sing that? If she picked it herself, she's nuts. She woulda been 4th on my list had that song not been sssssoooooo bad.

4: Wade. Good song picks. That's it. He gets 4th because Laci's Elton song was ssssooooo bad.

3: Madison. Still very good voice, still very forced performance.

2: Alejandro. That original song was :yawn:. He is a very very good musician, but only a good singer. And I still say it would be better for him if he does not win. He is not the kind of artist that the American Idol mold is looking to push. They want someone who they can get on the Top 40 Pop or Country charts and strong radio airplay (with the occasional R&B winner in there). That is not what Alejandro is. He is not going to play nice with the AI producers and I see nothing coming out under the AI contract label if he wins because they are not going to let him do whatever he wants, he won't do what they tell him to do, and it will just be a big mess. That's why he needs to come in 2nd or 3rd so he can go sign with an independent label and make music the way he wants.

1: Laine. He is exactly what American Idol is looking for. So there. :p

I'm not even voting so I guess I don't get to complain, but Laine should really win this thing.

taf2002

Since I record the show so I can FF thru commercials I don't vote either.

moebius

I wonder how the homecoming for Alejandro would turn out. I remember the turnout for Katherine McPhee's homecoming was pretty dismal compared to the other two contestants and that's only b/c LA people are surrounded by celebrities, so they're jaded when it comes to supporting an Idol finalist. Alejandro is also from SoCal, so I wonder if the LA people are gonna be jaded, too.

It seems the producers really want Alejandro to win. He gets to perform an original song, instead of singing in a duet in the finale. If Alejandro wins, I think he'll be the first winner from the west coast.

Regardless of the outcome, making it the finale is considered a win.

Laine and his brother do not resemble each other. I couldn't tell that they were brothers. I think Laine has the most Asian genes compared to his siblings. His sister looks like their mom. The bother has the least amount of Asian genes. In fact I couldn't tell that the brother has any Asian genes.

Last edited:

Allskate

I watched last night. Not sure why. I don't care who wins. My reaction was this: Out of those thousands of people who auditioned, this was the best that they could come up with for the final five? I'll be shocked if Laine does not win.

Alejandro is from Pomona, not L.A., so I don't think people there are quite so jaded, and it's a smaller place. But, it probably wont be the same kind of turnout for him as we've seen for contestants from towns in the south or Midwest.

BaileyCatts

I....... It seems the producers really want Alejandro to win. He gets to perform an original song, instead of singing in a duet in the finale. . .......

Wait, is there spoilers out there that say what everyone is doing in the finale? I haven't found anything yet, just all recaps of the semi finals.

Susan1

2: Alejandro. That original song was :yawn:. He is a very very good musician, but only a good singer.
I think the reason his original song went over so well is because he wrote it for his voice and style of singing. He's not that good of a singer for faster songs or songs with more range or volume or words that have to enunciated or for moving around the stage. I was expecting him to be the one to mumble through Your Song, not perform it like Madison did.
I wonder how the homecoming for Alejandro would turn out.
Probably about the same as if he wasn't in the top three. I know they interview everybody and all that stuff when the whole crew goes to their home town, but I would think that everybody who's been on for a few weeks and goes home gets a "hero's welcome" from their home town.

BaileyCatts

So what's the deal with the "new" American Idol completely dissing their first champion anyway? Maddie Poppe gets a throw away spot on Disney night, they don't even mention anything about her new album, she doesn't get a spot in the finale .... anyone know what the scoop is with this? While I can see having Adam Lambert and Carrie Underwood due to they are big stars now, but can't they give last years winner a mention? Why they don't like her? :confused:

vgerdes

I'm not even voting so I guess I don't get to complain, but Laine should really win this thing.

I agree. He's a better fit for the title than Alejandro, whose talent lies more in musicianship and songwriting than singing.

So what's the deal with the "new" American Idol completely dissing their first champion anyway? Maddie Poppe gets a throw away spot on Disney night, they don't even mention anything about her new album, she doesn't get a spot in the finale .... anyone know what the scoop is with this? While I can see having Adam Lambert and Carrie Underwood due to they are big stars now, but can't they give last years winner a mention? Why they don't like her? :confused:

This story paints quite an interesting picture. Not sure how true it is.

taf2002

Maybe AI is afraid if they had Maddy Poppe back for the finale they'd have to ask her boyfriend too. I still can't believe he came in 2nd. How bad were the others?

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Youtube suggested the Queen night video for me tonight. I hadn't seen it yet.

I wish I hadn't. They were all god-damn awful. Last guy who did Under Pressure loses additional points for not just butchering the vocal, but butchering John Deacon's most famous bass line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information