All things Mary Lou Retton

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
You're right, HIRSPs are no longer a thing since 2014. They can't charge more based on health and they don't take assets into account, just taxable income. Here is what they count: https://www.healthcare.gov/income-and-household-information/income/

The person I help with their ACA plan just had some unfortunate timing with a huge increase in costs after their hospitalization, so I was left with that impression. Their income is pension and Social Security, $2600/month. This year, to get a plan with an out of pocket under $5,000 and prescription coverage is $190/month.

Even if MLR wasn't working, she may have had income streams that would have counted as income for ACA purposes. It's not a given that her premiums would have gone down.

Here is a calculator on the IRS website:
https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/estimator/premiumtaxcreditchange/

As for medicaid, according to this:

Texas has not expanded Medicaid under the ACA, so adults under 65 who aren’t disabled or raising a child are ineligible for Medicaid regardless of how low their income is.

I wonder if she ever pursued disability. It would be a hard sell since her public image is based on fitness. It would tarnish her reputation if it came out, even if she recovered and got off disability.

Hoda is probably playing the long game. She doesn't get any points for being harsh on MLR. But she did get it out there that MLR WASN'T on life support as her daughters had said in their gofundme.

I still don't they they are grifting, though. I think they are just ignorant and overwhelmed.

Karina1974

100% everything Simone said. I just watched the story from the Today show. I am a social worker and can say that it is entirely possible that someone tried to get her on Medicaid or she had the option long ago and she rejected it until it was life or death. I also think her story about "30 surgeries" is highly unlikely. I also don't know if I buy that she had some mystery disease that nobody has seen before. People can say all kinds of stuff with great levels of enthusiasm and I think its not all necessarily factual- its the version she wants us to hear because it takes some or all responsibility off of her.
Well, she is 100% wrong about her previous health issues and surgeries preventing her from getting insurance. Being turned down for insurance based on preexisting conditions is one thing that ACA prevents.

Karina1974

Good for Christine Brennan for calling out the ridiculous lies that Retton and team are spewing.

Anyone who donated to this fundraiser needs their heads examined and has more money than sense.

As for Medicaid, we should all storm the Capitol if our tax dollars are funding medical treatment for someone with a 9000 square foot mansion and $25,000 speaking fees. There are many ways for Mary Lou Retton to make $545-680 per month to fund her own damn insurance like everyone else. She can probably make that much doing those silly little cameo videos that celebrities often do. And, yes, I'm fine if she were to lose everything and need to live in a homeless shelter over not having insurance. There are too many freeloaders; too many people who selfishly put their material wants over their healthcare needs. Don't let them die, but do make them suffer. And let the suffering be public enough that others think twice before foregoing insurance.

Please, Retton and team, stop speaking these lies. Good for at least some of the press to call them out.
How much is her home worth?

Generally speaking, monthly incomes, cash, money sitting in bank accounts and investments are all countable when it comes to determining if someone is under Medicaid’s asset limit. However, many other things are not, including:

• The applicant’s primary residence is exempt as long as its equity is less than $688,000 (in 2023) and the applicant intends to return home. If the applicant has a spouse living in the home, then the residence is exempt regardless of value or the applicant’s intent.

Karina1974

There are a couple of things that I want to address. This is just based on my personal knowledge of ACA when I was on it and unemployed from Mar 2020 to May 2021.

ACA is based on income. If MLR was unemployed, which is essentially what she says that she was during and after covid because she couldn't do speeches, her premiums and co-pays would have been adjusted. I don't live in TX, but my monthly premiums were $100/mo. Literally. I was getting unemployment, so I provided that pay stub. Otherwise they ask how you plan to file your taxes . It's a pretty straightforward application. And all that, for me, was while the orange walrus was in the WH.
Unless your income is between 200 and 250% FPL, though, the tax credit subsidy only lowers your premium. It doesn't address out of pocket costs, like the deductible. And Cost Sharing Reductions only kick in when your income is in that 200-250% range AND if you enroll into a Silver plan.

I've been an agent for the NY Marketplace for 5 years. It's not a fun conversation to have when you explain to people that, sure, they can use their tax credit to get a low premium with a Bronze plan, but then their minimum deductible is going to be $4600. And EVERY service outside of Preventative/Wellness services requires you to meet that deductible first in order for the plan to pay for it.

The minimum threshold for the tax credit subsidy seriously need to be raised a lot higher than 200% FPL. After doing this for 5 years, I can see a lot of improvements and, changes need to be made before we start calling this insurance "affordable." :rolleyes:

LeafOnTheWind

The federal poverty level is a joke to begin with.

Also by putting this stupid thing through the tax code it works on annualized income. Which means:
1. The ACA screws over people who have unpredictable income. It's a little hard to constantly not get the benefit you need now or have to pay back the benefit because you had a lucky run of income that was unusual.
2. The ACA screws over people who lose their jobs/income mid year and made too much annually to get the benefit they need now on zero income.
3. If you get a job mid year you have to pay back the benefit you received because you supposedly made to much. I never met anyone financially stable enough to pay back that amount after an extended loss of job.

How dare people have issues that don't follow a calendar year. :rolleyes:

The ACA is a nightmare and a joke for a lot of people. It is not affordable.

And the rich didn't pay for it. That's been a Democrat lie every time it's ever been used.

barbk

The federal poverty level is a joke to begin with.

Also by putting this stupid thing through the tax code it works on annualized income. Which means:
1. The ACA screws over people who have unpredictable income. It's a little hard to constantly not get the benefit you need now or have to pay back the benefit because you had a lucky run of income that was unusual.
2. The ACA screws over people who lose their jobs/income mid year and made too much annually to get the benefit they need now on zero income.
3. If you get a job mid year you have to pay back the benefit you received because you supposedly made to much. I never met anyone financially stable enough to pay back that amount after an extended loss of job.

How dare people have issues that don't follow a calendar year. :rolleyes:

The ACA is a nightmare and a joke for a lot of people. It is not affordable.

And the rich didn't pay for it. That's been a Democrat lie every time it's ever been used.
Our school district's annual cost for health insurance for a single employee is $8400 to $12,990, depending on the plan chosen. The annual deductible is either 750 or 1500 for a single employee. Healthcare in the US is just plain expensive. But I remember what it was like when we needed a small group plan back in the day when insurers were allowed to exclude (or price) coverage depending on the health of the employees. While I am no longer on that board, I am very, very thankful that the current board is not faced with those kinds of issues.

I think MLR is a bit of a nutjob. I'm glad she didn't die, but I hope she gets and stays a bit smarter going forward.

FiveRinger

Unless your income is between 200 and 250% FPL, though, the tax credit subsidy only lowers your premium. It doesn't address out of pocket costs, like the deductible. And Cost Sharing Reductions only kick in when your income is in that 200-250% range AND if you enroll into a Silver plan.

I've been an agent for the NY Marketplace for 5 years. It's not a fun conversation to have when you explain to people that, sure, they can use their tax credit to get a low premium with a Bronze plan, but then their minimum deductible is going to be $4600. And EVERY service outside of Preventative/Wellness services requires you to meet that deductible first in order for the plan to pay for it.

The minimum threshold for the tax credit subsidy seriously need to be raised a lot higher than 200% FPL. After doing this for 5 years, I can see a lot of improvements and, changes need to be made before we start calling this insurance "affordable." :rolleyes:
Affordable in relation to healthcare in the US is a misnomer, to be sure. Thank you for educating me. You know more about ACA than I would ever profess to.

My point in all of it was whatever bill MLR had even after ACA would have been a hell of a lot less than the almost half a million bucks her kids grifted from an unsuspecting public who was trying support who I would call a gilded hero. I haven’t forgiven or forgotten her support of Steve Penny, the Karolyis, and all of the other subhumans who were a part of USA Gymnastics and participated in the cover up that protected the abuser who shall not be named.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
This must be heating up as it is now the top story on the daily "fail" website.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information