Aljona Savchenko has been released to the USA to continue her pairs career

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I can’t remember if this was discussed but did Bruno know she was trying to find a new partner? I know he had retired.

Is she on good terms with both Bruno and Robin?

Theatregirl1122

Needs a nap
IMHO, Nyman was just a place holder for this year to be replaced as soon as the Olympics were over by a male pair skater who wants a shot at a worlds medal which they could have with her. I fully expect someone to fill that spot.

If you're going to pick a place holder, maybe pick one that isn't damaging to your reputation. :shuffle: Aliona is lucky this partnership never saw the light of day. Probably most people will forget about it.

PairSkater12345

To be fair, she clearly is a great skater and could manage to make from an average pair skater a pretty decent pair skater, but the experiment with TJ was pushing that a bit too far. Thinking that she can make a decent skater from a pair skater who has never competed internationally in seniors, who has never been to Europeans or senior worlds, and all that within nine months to be ready for Olympics … I think she was either extremely arrogant, or deluded. If she really plans to get on the team for this coming Olympics, she needs someone more experienced, and if possible, more than just an average skater.
According to Dave L That's Danny OShea

Vagabond

there's always the chance that the politics could change and she could get an "extraordinarily talent" push in time for 2026. Not likely at all, I would agree, but there's a chance. But I think the chance came up in Colorado, and she took it. Didn't work out, but nothing has ever stopped Aljona.
"Extraordinary talent" can help you get a U.S. visa; it doesn't do a whit of good in expediting U.S. citizenship, which requires five years of permanent residency. The earliest Savchenko could represent the U.S. at the Winter Olympic Games is either 2026 (doubtful, as she would need to have not just a visa but a green card by now) or 2030, when she will be forty-six.

Hedwig

Antique member
But with all respect-- she left the sport at the top, she became a mother, got right back on the ice and was right back to normal, even landing 3+3 combos. She paired back up with Massot and after a week or so they looked like they hadn't taken any break since 2018. She's more than capable of pulling off another surprise, and this board is a perfect starting-point to show how many people were :rolleyes: her decision in 2014 and even calling her desperate at that time.

If she personally wants a new challenge in life, so what? If she's finishing 7th out of 8 in Grand Prix competitions for the next four years, also so what? She has a passion for the sport and that's what is keeping her in. No one is forcing her.

As a comparison, Chusovitina has the respect of just about everyone in the world for continuing on, and I don't see anyone questioning why she didn't walk away earlier. Zoe Jones returned and hasn't produced any major results yet and everyone cheers her on, too. If the argument becomes 'well it's going to tarnish the legacy, people aren't going to remember her if she has worse results', I beg to differ. I'll still remember the 2018 LP as one of the all-time bests.
I absolutely agree with this (I love Midori Ito for skating adult competitions still as well!)
But not if she choses to take as a partner a person with this reputation.
Wanting to compete and loving it is one thing. Condoning sexual abuse by disregarding the strong rumors about Nyman is an absolute no no in my book

cholla

Grand Duchess of Savoie - Marquessa of Chartreuse
Nyman and Sappenfield both getting rid of/deactivating social media at the same time she left made me pretty sure it was done,
It wasn't done at the time. Nyman flew to France on the second week of July to work with Savchenko in Pralognan la Vanoise. I met him there on July 10, I think he'd just arrived the same day or the day before. I saw them practicing the following days and although the skating looked good, the atmosphere seemed... tense.

Someone with pretty extensive knowledge of the situation told me a few months ago that they'd be 'very surprised' if Dalilah and/or T.J. actually made it to January (Nationals) without a suspension or ban.
When I told Nyman I was a journalist and I knew who he was (he had introduced himself only as 'TJ'), he looked quite uncomfortable. I was tempted to add that yes, his 'reputation' had crossed the ocean... Not to every ear though, as the members of the Italian team and staff he was hanging around with obviously didn't know.

Bigbird

It wasn't done at the time. Nyman flew to France on the second week of July to work with Savchenko in Pralognan la Vanoise. I met him there on July 10, I think he'd just arrived the same day or the day before. I saw them practicing the following days and although the skating looked good, the atmosphere seemed... tense.

When I told Nyman I was a journalist and I knew who he was (he had introduced himself only as 'TJ'), he looked quite uncomfortable. I was tempted to add that yes, his 'reputation' had crossed the ocean... Not to every ear though, as the members of the Italian team and staff he was hanging around with obviously didn't know.
It is sad really. Poor choices have crushed what could have been.

Perky Shae Lynn

Someone with pretty extensive knowledge of the situation told me a few months ago that they'd be 'very surprised' if Dalilah and/or T.J. actually made it to January (Nationals) without a suspension or ban.
That's what makes Aljona's decision so shocking. Everyone expects Sappenfield and Nyman to be suspended. Was Savchenko not aware of what was happening? Even if she didn't care about the optics, did she not understand that the partnership had no future? I have no doubt that Savchenko can make a successful comeback. But why TJ of all people? Unless they got together for romantic reasons (yes, I know she's married with a kid), the pairing didn't make any sense.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I absolutely agree with this (I love Midori Ito for skating adult competitions still as well!)
But not if she choses to take as a partner a person with this reputation.
Wanting to compete and loving it is one thing. Condoning sexual abuse by disregarding the strong rumors about Nyman is an absolute no no in my book
That's what makes Aljona's decision so shocking. Everyone expects Sappenfield and Nyman to be suspended. Was Savchenko not aware of what was happening? Even if she didn't care about the optics, did she not understand that the partnership had no future? I have no doubt that Savchenko can make a successful comeback. But why TJ of all people? Unless they got together for romantic reasons (yes, I know she's married with a kid), the pairing didn't make any sense.
The only out I can really possibly give Aljona is that maybe she didn't know the extent of the situation or maybe anything about it at all. Now, that seems ridiculous for people on FSU who follow skating updates daily, but skaters themselves have a lot of things going on and might stay away from the majority of social media. Sappenfield or someone like Mozer :lol: may have suggested this partner as a potential good match (although, Nyman aside, there's been plenty to worry about with Sappenfield anyways.. so that's a :eek: either way).

I believe I read that Tatiana Flade (sorry if it wasn't her) confirmed Aljona knew about Sappenfield/Nyman to some level, but I don't think we can pinpoint when she found anything out. As @cholla corrected me a few posts ago, TJ was with her on the first part of her extended camp involvement; I do know at one point that she was removed from those posters and it appeared that she wasn't going to attend at all, only to then show up after all, shortly after the daily gossip from Dave Lease was coming out.

If we are reading correctly into Richaud's translated quotes that she is looking for a new partner, maybe she was better-informed once she got to Europe? Maybe she realized she made a huge mistake and tried to get out of it? Maybe Dave's video and drama with Liam Cross nailed that coffin shut?

okokok777

The only out I can really possibly give Aljona is that maybe she didn't know the extent of the situation or maybe anything about it at all.

believe I read that Tatiana Flade (sorry if it wasn't her) confirmed Aljona knew about Sappenfield/Nyman to some level, but I don't think we can pinpoint when she found anything out.

Based on comments from people who work closely with her, Aljona was aware of the allegations against Sappenfield/Nyman before she arrived in Colorado. However, I'm not sure of the exact degree of knowledge that she had on them at the time (such as the number of complaints, the authorities that it had been reported to, status of the current investigations, etc.)

If we are reading correctly into Richaud's translated quotes that she is looking for a new partner, maybe she was better-informed once she got to Europe? Maybe she realized she made a huge mistake and tried to get out of it? Maybe Dave's video and drama with Liam Cross nailed that coffin shut?

I think the last one plus the overwhelmingly negative reaction on social media probably contributed to the end of the partnership. Similarly to cholla's observations, I had a few acquaintances who said that some of their interactions in France looked very tense (one stated that it seemed like Aljona was usually frustrated with TJ).

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Based on comments from people who work closely with her, Aljona was aware of the allegations against Sappenfield/Nyman before she arrived in Colorado. However, I'm not sure of the exact degree of knowledge that she had on them at the time (such as the number of complaints, the authorities that it had been reported to, status of the current investigations, etc.)
Yes. I believe Dave Lease also mentioned he messaged Savchenko before the pairing was made public, having had conversations with her in the past. Asking if she was aware of the allegations against Nyman, she didn't respond.

As for why the partnership didn't work out, I'd guess it doesn't have much to do with Savchenko having a sudden change or heart or listening to her conscience. I think it's far more likely she came to the realization that Nyman simply isn't that good of a skater.

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
So many valid points made! I agree that Aljona may just be too self-absorbed and demanding. She should consider singles skating as finding the right partner after Bruno may not happen.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I'm rather surprised she hasn't tried it yet. Someone with that much determination and stamina could surely learn enough jumps to get by.

i think she knows the jumps as she posted videos of attempting a 3A. She could possibly go to the Olympics for Germany given the rest of the German ladies, but she would never be content coming behind the Russians which she would. And the Japanese ladies and possibly the US.

hanca

Values her privacy
I'm rather surprised she hasn't tried it yet. Someone with that much determination and stamina could surely learn enough jumps to get by.
I don’t think at her age having to do seven triples FS would be that great idea. There is a reason why there has never been that many singles skaters over the age of 30! Spending every day most of her practice doing jump would lead to injuries. And even if she did learn all triples and managed to stay healthy (which is a bit unlikely), she would not be able to get to the top in singles. The times when having 3-3 in the SP and seven triples in the FS would be enough to fight for medals in ladies are gone. I think it is a safe guess that at the Olympics all three Russian ladies will have 3A or quad (whichever three Russian ladies will be chosen), so will some of the Japanese ladies and the Korean lady also has 3A. Of course not all of them will land it, but it is safe to guess that at least three will and therefore they would have a huge advantage in comparison with Aliona. And it is too late for Aliona start learning 3A or quad. Whereas if she stays in pairs, she has at least some chance (if she finds a decent partner).

Perky Shae Lynn

Alojona doesn't leave relationships on good terms. A lot of elite figure skaters are not easy to get along with. Part of their perfectionist, driven personality is having the same expectations of people around them. Tati Volosozhar always stuck out like a (beautiful) sore thumb, being so sweet and kind to everyone.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
I think skating singles for Germany and going to the Olympics next year would be less far-fetched than her original plan of a new partner (TJ of all people at that) and Olympics in 5 years' time!
It depends whether she has all jumps and whether she can do 3-3. Nicole Schott may not be great, but she has 3F-3T and landed six triples in her FS. Can Savchenko beat that? Will her body be able to manage without getting injured? Germany may not be strong in ladies, but Savchenko would still need to beat all German ladies to be sent to the Olympics.

Perky Shae Lynn

It depends whether she has all jumps and whether she can do 3-3. Nicole Schott may not be great, but she has 3F-3T and landed six triples in her FS. Can Savchenko beat that? Will her body be able to manage without getting injured? Germany may not be strong in ladies, but Savchenko would still need to beat all German ladies to be sent to the Olympics.
Stop being rational. :drama:

carriecmu0503

Doesn’t she still have Ukrainian citizenship? She could still represent Ukraine at the Olympics as a singles skater!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I don't see her being competitive as a singles skater. Exhibitions may be, like Gordeeva. She shines as a pair, with the right partner. Isn't there anyone in Germany or Ukraine that she could pair up with and compete? It sounds like she loves to compete, but I suspect at this stage she will not like finishing below several other pairs. So the partner will have to be quite good. It is not easy to find a good fit.

Jamalele

Did anyone notice, Aljona did not post on her Instagram on her 5th wedding day? Recent years she didn‘t miss...
Last year posting was “...many years to come“.

... who can tell how did she geht in April into the US? As I know you have to come from a 14day quarantine from Mexico for example? But she flew directly from Germany...(?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information