Aftermath of Alberto Salazar's 4 year suspension

MacMadame

Doing all the things
During the World Championships, USADA announced that it was suspending Alberto Salazar and the team doctor, Jeffrey Brown for 4-years. Since then, there have been questions about the Nike Oregon Project (NOP) and the athletes he coaches.

For those who are hearing this for the first time, here's an article about the original announcement:

This article says that Nike has been paying Salazar's legal fees, that they fought USADA on subpoenas, and they plan to finance an appeal of the decision.

So I guess the question is: what now? Kara Goucher, one of the whistleblowers, has called for the NOP to be shutdown. All his athletes are being looked at with suspicion but USADA doesn't appear to have any plans to investigate them. Which I find weird. I mean if Salazar was helping his athletes with illegal doping, then his athletes were illegally doping.

Now, there are athletes who became concerned that he was doping them without their permission and went to USADA to get their medical records from Dr. Brown (who at first refused to hand them over and then handed over obviously altered documents which is one of the things he's been charged with). So I don't think those athletes should be punished. Or the clean ones. But there have to be some athletes who were doping if Salazar was doping athletes and they need to be found and punished IMO.

More articles:

Galen Rupp faces scrutiny

Salazar's Suspension doesn't mean the end of NOP

Kara Goucher calls for end to NOP

Will Salazar's athletes be investigated?

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
This is a tough one. A lot of the current top athletes were still in high school when most of this went down, but being in the NOP camp is enough to get extra scrutiny.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Do you really think he didn't keep doing it though? It took 6 years to investigate him so that's time for those HS kids to grow up.

Aceon6

Do you really think he didn't keep doing it though? It took 6 years to investigate him so that's time for those HS kids to grow up.
I think the length of the investigation allowed the younger athletes to make informed decisions about the risk/reward of training with NOP. I would guess that at least some were extra careful.

I’m not a Salazar fan going back to his Boston Marathon days. For some reason, he turned me off. I was team Beardsly.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It reminds me of the Callaghan situation. Where "everyone knew" about him but parents sent their kids to him anyway, thinking that they could keep control of the situation. And a few people went to him seemingly not clued in at all sometimes to their detriment.

I am thinking that some of the athletes who went to him were extra careful but I would think some of them welcomed his machinations. Not everyone is against doping. Some people think of it as doing everything you can to get an edge and as playing within the system. i.e., how much testosterone can I smear on me without going over the legal limit?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
And they are connected...if you follow the pay for play NCAA basketball scandal, it's just some huge coincidence that only the other shoe companies are getting caught.

caseyedwards

2 Russian athletes meet with one banned coach after he visits A training center and all of Russia remains banned by IAAF

caseyedwards

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
“Meeting” and “being coached at a training camp” are two entirely different things so quit playing the eejit.

Aceon6

Interesting discussion of the NOP situation in the Chicago Marathon coverage open. Mo has been pretty testy about it in his pressers. Since he’s been out of NOP for two seasons, I guess that’s to be expected. Rupp and Hasay aren’t saying much.

manhn

When I was starting to run on a regular basis, I would visit the running versions of FSU. There was so much talk of Mary Cain. So sad. I wish the article told us what she is doing now, going to college, etc,

ilovepaydays

When I was starting to run on a regular basis, I would visit the running versions of FSU. There was so much talk of Mary Cain. So sad. I wish the article told us what she is doing now, going to college, etc,

Between this and the news of the Diamond League changes for next season that were announced yesterday, Letsrun.com has basically exploded. :watch:

I thought that Cain was attempting a Gracie Gold-type of comeback. She’s still plenty young enough to do it if she’s healthy.

manhn

Oh gawd, Letsrun. That place is awful. I was never into the elites anyway and the information you glean from running tends to be repetitive over time, so I stopped going to forums. I read blogs about upcoming races I am intending to do, instead. And FB has some nice groups to follow, although it's more inspirational in tone.

ilovepaydays

Oh gawd, Letsrun. That place is awful. I was never into the elites anyway and the information you glean from running tends to be repetitive over time, so I stopped going to forums. I read blogs about upcoming races I am intending to do, instead. And FB has some nice groups to follow, although it's more inspirational in tone.

IMO, Flotrack has much better reporting but the paywall use in their business model makes icenetwork look like a genius.

Change in topic - I’m not sure what positives will actually come from those events (200m, triple jump, steeplechase, discus) getting cut from the Diamond League.

Sylvia

TBD

Excerpt:
In response to Cain's allegations, Nike says, "We take the allegations extremely seriously and will launch an immediate investigation to hear from former Oregon Project athletes."
The company calls Cain's claims "deeply troubling," but it says that neither she nor her parents had previously raised the allegations.
"Mary was seeking to rejoin the Oregon Project and Alberto's team as recently as April of this year and had not raised these concerns as part of that process," a Nike spokesperson said in an email to NPR.
ETA that @pat c has started a separate thread about Mary Cain and I've posted another related article there: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/the-fastest-girl-in-america.106350/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information