Adelina Sotnikova ... WTF

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Kwan and Slute made mistakes while Kim and Kostner were on their game.
I mean, not really. Kim wasn't perfectly clean, not to mention the dead, I-don't-actually-want-to-be-here vibe she spent the whole comp giving off.
Sotnikova also had that brief Rostelecom comeback in between Olympic cycles, and I think many of us were looking forward to her progress post-Sochi.
One of the biggest post-Olys disappointments of that cycle was when her Achilles snapped and robbed us of getting to see how she would have gone afterwards.

bardtoob

Hughes and Sotnikova were always :yawn: and the Olympic Gold medal did not make them more watchable. Sarah could land an underrotated jump just as well as Sotnikova could fully rotate a high fall, which was more rewarded in their respective eras than doing doubles. Sarah had fewer steps to mask her clunky feet while Adelina did countless labored steps chasing level 4. They both had fugly catchfoot camel spins.

It is odd that people try to rewrite history to match their agenda. The disingenuousness is hilarious 😂

I wish we could haul some Olympic judges out here to point fingers at Kwan, Slutskaya, Lipnitskaya, Mao, etc. to complain that the results were bad at these two Olympics because they did not skate the way they were supposed to 🤣

Last edited:

ribbon

I remember her as a teenage OGM winner who was over the moon to skate well in her home country and I thought she had a promising future. I disagreed completely with the judging but had no hard feelings personally towards her, and I hope she is happy and healthy in her Post-skating life.

escaflowne9282

Reformed Manspreader
I'm pretty sure they got some. That's how some people are.
Yeah. The vitriol directed towards them was ugly. I remember reading about how they were treated in the village, the late night jokes etc.
A lot of it seemed to just stem from Cold War rhetoric too :confused:
As for Sotnikova, she was a messy skater but the reaction to her win was... :yikes:

once_upon

Better off now than 4 years ago? Have TP now
I dont know when it was - maybe 2010, that i decided there was nothing I could do about the judging nor was I going to change anything by continuous arguing what judges got wrong. Like when I was sure the judges got it wrong when Johnny/Evan tied in the long program (St. Paul maybe?), but my opinion didn't change results.

I just try to enjoy the programs and realize I have my own bias. I dont like it when people say skaters results are because their "team of coaches/federations, etc politicking efforts" - that may be true, I dont have any evidence of that and don't want it to take away from my enjoyment of skating

The skaters do not deserve to be threatened because someone doesn't like the results.

Of course, im sure that someone could point to something I posted since then to show I posted something that makes my statement wrong, but hopefully I'm too insignificant for anyone to care.

I enjoyed Adelina's skates.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Hughes and Sotnikova were always :yawn: and the Olympic Gold medal did not make them more watchable. Sarah could land an underrotated jump just as well as Sotnikova could fully rotate a high fall, which was more rewarded in their respective eras than doing doubles. Sarah had fewer steps to mask her clunky feet while Adelina did countless labored steps chasing level 4. They both had fugly catchfoot camel spins.

It is odd that people try to rewrite history to match their agenda. The disingenuousness is hilarious 😂

I wish we could haul some Olympic judges out here to point fingers at Kwan, Slutskaya, Lipnitskaya, Mao, etc. to complain that the results were bad at these two Olympics because they did not skate the way they were supposed to 🤣

Lol

Well at least that was an entertaining read.

What sticks out in my mind from Olympics past is that I really think Carolina should have won the Olympics in 2014 and if not her than Yuna. Everything else I think I am in agreement with as far as Olympic results as far as I can remember.

Maybe there could still be a case for Sasha Cohen for bronze in 2002 but maybe not.

olympic

I saw this for the first time. It's obviously posted by a partisan fan but it analyzes Sotnikova's programs and the 'robbery' at Sochi -

I don't agree with everything, but I am blown away by the huge PCS inflation afforded to Sotnikova. Especially in the SP - Sotnikova skated absolutely equal programs at the GPF and Sochi with very similar GOE on each element, so how is she afforded 4.70 inflation of the PCS in 2 months while no bump for Yu Na skating clean (if you are counting on inflation at an Olympics for everyone)? Also, I had no idea how egregious the uncalled edge and UR was on the opening 3-3 in the LP. Those 2 issues alone knock Sotnikova down 8 points and probably puts her in a battle for Silver with Kostner.

I think this replaces Nancy v. Oksana as my #1 wuz robbed in Olympic ladies skating history.

Sorry for dredging up sensitive history. I never really watched Sotnikova so I'm seeing all this for the 1st time.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I saw this for the first time. It's obviously posted by a partisan fan but it analyzes Sotnikova's programs and the 'robbery' at Sochi -

I don't agree with everything, but I am blown away by the huge PCS inflation afforded to Sotnikova. Especially in the SP - Sotnikova skated absolutely equal programs at the GPF and Sochi with very similar GOE on each element, so how is she afforded 4.70 inflation of the PCS in 2 months while no bump for Yu Na skating clean (if you are counting on inflation at an Olympics for everyone)? Also, I had no idea how egregious the uncalled edge and UR was on the opening 3-3 in the LP. Those 2 issues alone knock Sotnikova down 8 points and probably puts her in a battle for Silver with Kostner.

I think this replaces Nancy v. Oksana as my #1 wuz robbed in Olympic ladies skating history.

Sorry for dredging up sensitive history. I never really watched Sotnikova so I'm seeing all this for the 1st time.
Of course that is going to be one-sided. Of course the scores are going to go up when you have energy and deliver, especially at home. This has happened since the beginning of time with IJS. Look at Meissner's World-winning LP and see the PCS she got there, and she wasn't even skating at home.

Sotnikova won the energy of the night by far, it was unexpected so it made it more dynamic, and Kim, to me, completely phoned it in. I surely thought the PCS was outlandish, but I didn't think Yuna was all that great. Kostner was the one for me who was best throughout the competition, but some of her jumps were quite tight and probably underrotated if looked at carefully, and she wasn't very fast.

In the end, I always questioned whether Sotnikova skating after Lipnitskaia in the short was what gave her that huge boost after knowing Julia would be out of contention, but I've come to terms with it being alright that Adelina won especially since I always thought Kostner should've been ahead of Yuna anyways.

And don't watch any kind of stuff that is posted by Yuna fanatics ;)

olympic

Of course that is going to be one-sided. Of course the scores are going to go up when you have energy and deliver, especially at home. This has happened since the beginning of time with IJS. Look at Meissner's World-winning LP and see the PCS she got there, and she wasn't even skating at home.

Sotnikova won the energy of the night by far, it was unexpected so it made it more dynamic, and Kim, to me, completely phoned it in. I surely thought the PCS was outlandish, but I didn't think Yuna was all that great. Kostner was the one for me who was best throughout the competition, but some of her jumps were quite tight and probably underrotated if looked at carefully, and she wasn't very fast.

In the end, I always questioned whether Sotnikova skating after Lipnitskaia in the short was what gave her that huge boost after knowing Julia would be out of contention, but I've come to terms with it being alright that Adelina won especially since I always thought Kostner should've been ahead of Yuna anyways.

And don't watch any kind of stuff that is posted by Yuna fanatics ;)
Still though, the uncalled 3-3 was flagrantly bad. Again it should have been called and knocked her down a few points, and I say this as being only a passive observer of Yu Na. I have never participated in the Mao-Yu Na wars but I prefer a phoned-in Yu Na to an energetic Adelina. Being put atop the podium based on energy before a home audience is kind of weak under IJS. I acknowledge it happens. Oh well. Seven years later it’s all about opinion

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I mean, not really. Kim wasn't perfectly clean, not to mention the dead, I-don't-actually-want-to-be-here vibe she spent the whole comp giving off.
THIS. Kim couldn't have possibly done more to make it obvious that she was pushed into competing that year and didn't want to be at these Olympics. She looked uninterested the entire time and her overall vibe screamed, "Please get this over with so I can quit and live my life." I much preferred her to Adelina in general, but she was simply blandly going through the motions in Sochi, and she paid for it.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I feel like bringing Koola King into a thread here should be a bannable offence. That piece of human garbage says nothing worth hearing.
THIS. Kim couldn't have possibly done more to make it obvious that she was pushed into competing that year and didn't want to be at these Olympics. She looked uninterested the entire time and her overall vibe screamed, "Please get this over with so I can quit and live my life." I much preferred her to Adelina in general, but she was simply blandly going through the motions in Sochi, and she paid for it.
I wonder if Kim was lulled into a false sense of security by the season before, where she waltzed into Worlds with just one Senior B that season and proceeded to win. A sort of "they'll give me the gold whatever" mentality. Either way, it could not have been clearer that she didn't want to be there - and it could not have been clearer that Sotnikova not only desperately wanted to be there, but desperately wanted to win.

Yazmeen

All we are saying, is give peace a chance
I wonder if Kim was lulled into a false sense of security by the season before, where she waltzed into Worlds with just one Senior B that season and proceeded to win. A sort of "they'll give me the gold whatever" mentality. Either way, it could not have been clearer that she didn't want to be there - and it could not have been clearer that Sotnikova not only desperately wanted to be there, but desperately wanted to win.
Or maybe her mother and the Korean skating fed were lulled, feeling that all she had to do was show up. Again, I prefer her style, but Adelina "did a Tara" that night and was the deserved gold medalist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information