Adelina Sotnikova uber thread

Eladola

Congrats to Adelina but this margin between the two skaters (not to mention Kostner) is ridiculous. Adelina's PCS should be significantly lower IMO. Oh well, what can one do. Such is the nature of the sport and the judges obviously saw something in Adelina both yesterday and today that they hadn't seen before.

"What can you do" Should not be an acceptable answer, Do we love all skaters or not ?

Something should definitely be done

Eladola

An official complaint was filed to the IOC by the Korean federation,

Now the 2,000,000 people who signed the petition might have their voice heard

Anyway this is bad, Bronze would've been such a great victory for Adelina, Shame it had to be like this

smarts1

This article says it was in the official press conference with the medalists. See the photo below. Carolina is also just leaving her seat in the photo at the bottom, while they don't blame Caro. lol
(photo) http://imgnews.naver.net/image/020/2014/02/22/61112258.3_59_20140222163803.jpg
(the article) http://sports.news.naver.com/sports...&mod=read&office_id=020&article_id=0002536389

Okay so it was a different one. Lol the only reason why Yuna stayed longer is because the media probably hounded her with more questions than anyone else.

smarts1

An official complaint was filed to the IOC by the Korean federation,

Now the 2,000,000 people who signed the petition might have their voice heard

Anyway this is bad, Bronze would've been such a great victory for Adelina, Shame it had to be like this

The IOC isn't going to do anything unless a judge confesses to something like in Salt Lake (ie it won't happen). And if a judge does, I am certain that figure skating won't exist in the Olympics anymore.

Eladola

The IOC isn't going to do anything unless a judge confesses to something like in Salt Lake (ie it won't happen). And if a judge does, I am certain that figure skating won't exist in the Olympics anymore.

We are between a rock and a hard place, As they say ;)

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Bradley and Buttle noticed the awful posts on her facebook and tweeted on 20th.

Ryan Bradley@RyanSBradley
https://twitter.com/RyanSBradley/status/436628050873450496
I just saw Adelina's Facebook wall and I am disgusted. She is a little girl who went out and did her job. Don't put this mess on her!

Jeffrey Buttle ‏@J_Butt
https://twitter.com/J_Butt/status/436647605121343489
@RyanSBradley Ewww gross, are you serious? People are mad at HER?! She's one of the sweetest girls and had the skate of her life (to date).

MrLucky

It was winning sort of in the same tradition as Hughes, Lipinski, etc.: out-jumping the competition, and skating with a lot of energy and/or speed. I don't have a problem with that concept. Of course, who wins the OGM is about who's the best at that competition, not in general. The best overall skaters do not (and should not) always win. That's why you have to look at a skater's entire career in order to evaluate his or her standing appropriately. Winning an OGM doesn't automatically make you a great skater, and failing to win one doesn't automatically make you a less-than-great skater.

Anyway, even Elvis Stojko agreed with the decision. :cool:

Scott, Tara and Johnny also agree that Adelina won. Scott might have sounded a bit reluctant but Johnny and Tara were quite clear that Adelina earned it and deserved it. And others can feel differently which is the nature of a judged sport.

I agree with your comments and am NOT a fan of judging based so much on reputation or this "body of work" nonsense.

It is a sporting event and you should win or lose a competition based on how you skated that night, not because of what you have done in the past.

Tesla

Whippet Good
Adelina wanted that gold medal with every fiber of her being. Carolina wanted a medal, and Yuna didn't care. Adelina wanted the gold and went after it. I'm fine with her win. She deserved it. Congratulations, Adelina! :cheer: I hope she's kept insulated from the horrible posters.

Jessiebanana

I don't think it's fair to trash the skater. It's not her fault her scores were inflated. It's also not fair to dismiss every critic as a Yuna-bot. I'm not one. If I was rooting for anyone it was Mao and I'm sad that didn't go well for her. Otherwise, I'm not particularly invested in ladies skating and I was pretty shocked by the results.

berthesghost

Adelina wanted that gold medal with every fiber of her being. Carolina wanted a medal, and Yuna didn't care. Adelina wanted the gold and went after it. I'm fine with her win. She deserved it. Congratulations, Adelina! :cheer: I hope she's kept insulated from the horrible posters.
whatever. Regardless of results, Yuna could have stayed comfortably at home counting her millions. No one, no one puts all that work and effort in and skates as well as she did because they "don't care". That's just ridiculous. She narrowly lost and is mature enough to realize it isn't the end of the world. All 3 skaters skated well and deserve our props.

Jessiebanana

whatever. Regardless of results, Yuna could have stayed comfortably at home counting her millions. No one, no one puts all that work and effort in and skates as well as she did because they "don't care". That's just ridiculous. She narrowly lost and is mature enough to realize it isn't the end of the world. All 3 skaters skated well and deserve our props.

Exactly, just because she's composed and mature and possibly a bit more settled because she has a OGM, doesn't mean she came out of retirement to bite her nails.

Also, the medal isn't about who wanted it more. If that was the case, there are a lot of people over the course of two weeks who should have gotten a medal.

Tesla

Whippet Good
I'm not saying Yuna doesn't care about skating. I just don't think she cared where she placed. She admitted as much. I give her huge props because she basically pulled a Plushenko and medaled. She's an extraordinary talent but she didn't seem that invested in her performance. If she really wanted the gold medal, she would've pulled out all the stops. Yuna was stone faced during the first part of her performance. Adelina wanted that gold more than anything and put that into every bit if her performance. Kudos to all the medalists and all the skaters.

MrLucky

I agree and think Yuna's comment has been taken out of context.

I am so glad Yuna skated in Sochi and thought her wonderful programs were a gift to the skating world.

Why do I think she will be back for 2018? I guess because I think she could make the podium again and add to her legend.

But I respect her if she chooses to move on. She has already given us so much and her legendary status is more than secured in the skating world.

Yuna , Caro, Adelina (and Mao's LP) showed skating at it's best and I feel lucky to have watched these magical performances.

zippy

I think Yuna did care - anyone competitive enough to win an OGM probably cares a lot about winning every time. But it wasn't quite the same kind of intensity for her - as she put it, she "would have died for the Olympics" before she won in Vancouver, and didn't quite feel that way this time. I'm one that found her free skate just a little flat, but look, it's actually not easy to have a super high level of performance every time out of the gate. I'm sure she gave it her best under the circumstances considering she's had an injury this year. Her skating wasn't quite as great as it was at Worlds 2013; I could see it both in the practices and in the competition (don't get me wrong, it's still fantastic - just not quite at her best). If she didn't already have an OGM, maybe she would have felt compelled to do a triple loop and a level 4 layback, but it's best for her back that she didn't do those things and I'm glad she didn't feel like she had to risk her longterm health for a second OGM. COP allows all skaters to strategize according to the rules known to everyone, and both Yuna and Adelina made calculated risks to maximize their chances. I think it normally would have worked out for Yuna, because typically no one could match the quality of her jumps, but Adelina actually did (with superior spins to boot), and came with a program built to maximize her score if she could execute it.

I went back and watched Europeans, and Adelina had some really nice jumps there that resulted in high GOE, but they were even higher in Sochi. It's also worth noting that she and Carolina were already scored very closely in PCS there. If Adelina had received the same PCS score in Sochi that she got in the Euros free skate (69.60), she STILL would have won the OGM. It's not so surprising that she got a few points higher in PCS than at Euros since the performance quality was *much* higher in Sochi. I'd argue a PCS of 69 wouldn't really be fair to Sotnikova considering what others in the final flight received and what she put on the ice that night. I just think people should take off their tinfoil hats (and Christine Brennan is leading the charge on that front) and find a way to be a little less emotional about this result. Two different judging panels had Sotnikova and Kostner close in PCS at two different recent competitions. Was the fix already in at Euros? For a skater whose own federation seemed to have forgotten about by the time the Olympics rolled around?

Anyway, since this is Adelina's cheer thread, here's a cute pic of Julia and Adelina with their gold medals :)

ltnskater

Scott, Tara and Johnny also agree that Adelina won. Scott might have sounded a bit reluctant but Johnny and Tara were quite clear that Adelina earned it and deserved it. And others can feel differently which is the nature of a judged sport.

I agree with your comments and am NOT a fan of judging based so much on reputation or this "body of work" nonsense.

It is a sporting event and you should win or lose a competition based on how you skated that night, not because of what you have done in the past.

Of course publicly, most well known names in figure skating would not dare to strongly oppose the results as in 2002 SLC with the pairs to protect the sport from being banned from the Olympics, already knowing the sport is in jeopardy. I've seen many articles quoting Elvis and how he thought the results were "fair"... but is that what he really thought? Some indication of what he said to the media and what he actually thought may have been very different as seen in this video with Gwendal talking about the event when sitting with Michelle Kwan & Elvis Stojko... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnaqszGbCFI

I think most agree that Adelina won over Yuna on TES deservedly, but going over the protocols, Adelina was only 4 points ahead of Yuna technically in the free (1 pt behind Yuna in the short) base value. This argument of Adelina's 7 triples to Yuna's 6 also falls flat on its face when you can't possibly explain how it scored a whopping 7-8 points higher in the freeskate to both Carolina with 7 and Mao with 8 triples - that of course is because of super-inflated GOE & PCS which is the real travesty here across both programs.

That being said, congratulations to Adelina on a great program and delivering when it matters! The skaters all did their jobs, even though the judges failed and didn't, so there is absolutely no reason for anyone to be attacking Adelina who still has many years ahead to grow into a much better skater.

I'm just worried that there will be unfair backlash from this on not only her, but other Russian skaters... especially if we think about where 2018 Olympics are going to be. I also hope Adelina will understand and not be too disappointed when she never breaks the 140 mark in the freeskate outside of Russia/Euros even if skating better than she did at these Olympic games.

museksk8r

Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy
Adelina is a beautiful girl and a very talented skater. She really wanted this win and went for it with all of her might and energy despite being an underdog and despite all of her naysayers. She is an inspiration to all athletes facing adversity to never give up. Congratulations to her on her victory! :cheer2:

leesaleesa

This is a bunch of tempest in a teapot, IMO. Hardly enough to get FS banned from the Olympics. I recall people bitching about how Yuna was given such a high score in the SP that the rest of the skaters couldn't catch up. I guess that eludes the idiots posting garbage about Sotnikova.

I really like that "ugly" camel variation Adelina does. Rachael Flatt did something similar at one point. All the pissing and moaning about people who don't understand FS and don't think it's a sport, yet when someone wins based on being an athlete as opposed to an "artist", those same people who defend FS as a sport will revert to the "artistic" skater and dump the athletic one.

MrLucky

Adelina is a beautiful girl and a very talented skater. She really wanted this win and went for it with all of her might and energy despite being an underdog and despite all of her naysayers. She is an inspiration to all athletes facing adversity to never give up. Congratulations to her on her victory! :cheer2:

Wow, what a special post!

Thanks for sharing such inspiring thoughts with us. :saint:

Excidra

Adeline, I am so proud of you. No matter what these vile people say about your title, it was very much deserved. How one expects to skip competitions and show up for the big one and expect to win is beyond me. You kicked a***!

You are a worthy Olympic Champion.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Johnny & Tara were in strong agreement right after the results were final. On Late night, last night, they seemed to push that too much, and I wonder if it was because there were some people saying Adelina should not have won? It came across as a bit artificial. What they said right after the competition appeared genuine. I agree with Paul Wylie who said that he agreed with the results but expected a smaller points spread. I think a photofinish for Adelina might have calmed some of her detractors, or may be not.

Doozy

The idea that figure skating would ever be dropped from the Olympics is laughable. Ladies figure skating is the most popular, most watched event in all of the Winter Olympics. Ratings = money and money rules all. Figure skating will never be dropped.

gk_891

Yikes, I disagreed with the results but the attacks on Adelina are just inexcusable. She did nothing wrong.

Lionhart

This is a bunch of tempest in a teapot, IMO. Hardly enough to get FS banned from the Olympics. I recall people bitching about how Yuna was given such a high score in the SP that the rest of the skaters couldn't catch up. I guess that eludes the idiots posting garbage about Sotnikova.

THANK YOU. It seems a lot of people disregard the SP results in 2010.

Excidra

This is my last post in this thread as I am not an Adelina fan at this point, but the fact those of you who are seem to be implying that it is only Yu Na fans who are upset about this result shows what incredibly stupid morons you must be. There is a huge outcry around the world about this result and if that were based on Yu Na fanaticsm strictly than Yu Na would have to be the most popular skater ever, which she of course isnt. She doesnt even scrape the surface of worldwide popularity of Michelle Kwan or Katarina Witt, even if she is up there with them in skating greatness. There are many skaters besides Yu Na anyway who were victimized by the fixed and bought win for Sotnikova- Kostner, Asada in the long program, others even if they didnt deserve to beat her but never had a hope anyway of a medal with the fixed scores and medals of Sotnikova and Julia (had she stayed on her feet gold or silver was certain). I am not a fan of any of the current women besides Osmond, Li, and to some degree Kostner, and long for the days of Cohen and Kwan and Slutskaya, but even I could see what happened not only in the ladies event but the entire Figure Skating event. They could have just not held it and given everyone out there medals. So continue thinking it is only Yu Na fanaticsm and continue living in a fantasy world.

It is pretty simple. Sotnikova in no way deserved anything more than a bronze medal or more than 4th in the long program and had the Games been held anywhere else there is 0% chance she would have gotten more than that. If there was a machine invented to make the Games anywhere else I am sure nobody here would be willing to bet there life on her placing higher than that if they were forced to choose her doing better than that or getting those exact placings. Her win was part of an entire Russian fix of this skating competition and people will never be ok with that. It has nothing to do with who is a fan of such and such skater. That means nothing. People arent just going to accept a rigged competition.

Get a life, troll!

I will never understand how people come into a Sotnikova uber thread and argue why she shouldn't have won the OGM. Let her fans relish in this moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information