Actor Christopher Plummer has died

jadingirl

I was fortunate enough to see him at Stratford twice - once as Caesar in Caesar and Cleopatra and the next year in the Tempest.
Watching him onstage with the other actors you could really see the difference between him and the rest of the company - I don't know how to explain it except to say though all the Stratford actors are exceptional he had that "star quality" where a person just commands the stage.

Cachoo

I remember when he was on Oprah and Charmian Carr (who was 21 when she filmed the role of Liesl) was talking about how Christopher Plummer taught her how to drink. And he just had this wicked twinkle in his eye with a "who me?" expression. Adorable.

Sylvia

TBD
So I hear that there is one more season of 'Departure' already filmed and to be aired which includes Christopher Plummer.
"In Memory of Christopher Plummer" comes up on the screen before the closing credits in the final episode of the second season of Departure on Peacock. I admit that I was moved by his final scene (filmed in the fall of 2020) on the phone with Panjabi:
Relevant excerpt:
He filmed his final scenes for the second season from his home in Connecticut, adapting so he could still appear in the show amid the global pandemic.
... the actor takes part in a moving final scene with his co-star Panjabi, in which they bid each other an emotional farewell.
After revealing he has been battling a secret illness, Howard tells Kendra that she was the "closest to a family [he] ever had."
He also said that when a person is "close to the end" it makes them think about who they care about and how they have impacted the people around them.
Kendra also takes the opportunity to reflect on how his mentorship is the reason she is where she is today, and suggested she was ready to forgive him for being involved in the crash they were investigating in season one.
While it is not a traditional tribute, the emotionally-charged scene certainly feels like a touching farewell to Plummer.
Canada Post's video tribute to Christopher Plummer for their commemorative stamp issue (Oct. 14, 2021):

About Plummer's commemorative stamp (him as King Lear is featured in color in the center):
When Canada Post first approached Plummer in 2019, he was thrilled at the prospect of being featured on a Canadian stamp. He was consulted in the process from the very beginning and helped choose the five roles that appear on the stamp to represent his much loved and celebrated career.
  • Captain von Trapp in The Sound of Music: His role in the 1965 movie brought him fame on the big screen, and a lifelong friendship with co-star Julie Andrews.
  • Rudyard Kipling in The Man Who Would Be King: He appeared in the 1975 adventure film alongside Sean Connery and Michael Caine.
  • John Barrymore in Barrymore: After nearly 30 years away from the Stratford stage, he returned in 1996 to play the role that would earn him his second Tony – he took home his first in 1974 for his performance as Cyrano de Bergerac in the musical Cyrano. Mr. Plummer later reprised the Barrymore role for the 2011 Canadian film adaptation.
  • King Lear in King Lear: There were plans for Mr. Plummer, who portrayed the lead role in the 2002 Stratford production, to star in a big-screen adaptation that was to begin shooting in Newfoundland this past summer.
  • Prospero in The Tempest: The highly anticipated 2010 play did not disappoint, as Richard Ouzounian, then theatre critic for the Toronto Star, wrote of his performance: “This is probably the funniest production of The Tempest you will ever see … because Plummer sees the wit in Shakespeare like no one else and inspires everyone around him to think that way.”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information