Abusive coach is in Hall of Fame

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
She left a lot of clues. Male Canadian pairs coach, in the Hall of Fame, who was coaching a little over 20 years ago. I know squat about the history of Canadian pairs, but those who do know it will probably have no trouble figuring it out. The question is whether anyone will do anything about it.

alij

Having been at his training centre, he was my first guess, but when you look at the list I don't think he would be the only one guilty of similar offences.

We travelled internationally to train there and had basically no contact with our parents over the course of several weeks, feels like madness now!

mackiecat

The interesting part was the psychological power he had over skaters and their parents. He would tell them “if you left me you will never win again“. I actually can’t recall too many (especially girls) who were successful In skating after they left.

alij

The interesting part was the psychological power he had over skaters and their parents. He would tell them “if you left me you will never win again“. I actually can’t recall too many (especially girls) who were successful In skating after they left.
I also find it interesting that many of the male skaters who were there when I was, have gone on to coach themselves with some success. I am hoping they took the good parts, and there were some, and got rid of the horrifying things. I haven't heard any concerns about these coaches, but I am no longer involved in skating in the same way. I would hate to think that the culture was repeated.

elenok

Leitch is my guess

The writer mentioned the coach occasionally hit or slapped some of the boys.

From some quick research it looks like Leitch faced assault charges in 1997 for exactly that (allegedly slapping a 15yr old male student in the face).

mackiecat

I also find it interesting that many of the male skaters who were there when I was, have gone on to coach themselves with some success. I am hoping they took the good parts, and there were some, and got rid of the horrifying things. I haven't heard any concerns about these coaches, but I am no longer involved in skating in the same way. I would hate to think that the culture was repeated.
Yes Barkell, Johnston, Ladret, Wheeler, Purkiss ( female), Leblanc have all gone to successful coaching careers. The only one I can think of who went down a similar path is Eisler.

skategal

Bunny mama
OMG how horrible.

I hope something can be done about this coach and whoever the athlete/predator is.

Judy

The writer mentioned the coach occasionally hit or slapped some of the boys.

From some quick research it looks like Leitch faced assault charges in 1997 for exactly that (allegedly slapping a 15yr old male student in the face).

I have never heard of him. Which training centre was it? Just horrible 😔.

alij

Yes Barkell, Johnston, Ladret, Wheeler, Purkiss ( female), Leblanc have all gone to successful coaching careers. The only one I can think of who went down a similar path is Eisler.
Most of them were there when I was there, plus Jim Peterson too

Coco

Rotating while Russian!

I believe this is a common attitude among some famous coaches today. Sometimes you even see the domestic judges back the coaches up.

Judy

I have never heard of him. Which training centre was it? Just horrible 😔.
The name is ringing a bell now. So long ago.

Omg so unacceptable. I can’t imagine what goes on either with Russia and China. Throw him out of the hall of fame.

meggonzo

Banned Member
Hmm wonder who the older skater in the story could have been.

alij

Hmm wonder who the older skater in the story could have been.
The dates don't work for that skater and Eisler because he would already have left Leitch by then, I want to say he would have left 1986ish.

Sonata

Doug Ladret suffered two skull fractures and was back competing a few weeks later with a helmet. (I could have sworn Christine Hough had a terrible fall captured on camera, but can't find it - wasn't sure if this is the accident the writer was referring to.)
What was spinned as "brave" back then just looks unsafe now.

mackiecat

Doug Ladret suffered two skull fractures and was back competing a few weeks later with a helmet. (I could have sworn Christine Hough had a terrible fall captured on camera, but can't find it - wasn't sure if this is the accident the writer was referring to.)
What was spinned as "brave" back then just looks unsafe now.
Toughie’s fall was on the twist at nationals. She competed right after and anyone could tell that she shouldn’t have. i Watched a video of Leitch saying after Dougs fall he was asking the doctor when he could get back on the ice as they had a competition coming up. The drs reply was if he lives through the night we will discuss skating in the morning.

BittyBug

Disgusted
It's amazing that Ladret came through that as such a reportedly nice coach, given the less than positive influence Leitch seems to have been.

Judy

Toughie’s fall was on the twist at nationals. She competed right after and anyone could tell that she shouldn’t have. i Watched a video of Leitch saying after Dougs fall he was asking the doctor when he could get back on the ice as they had a competition coming up. The drs reply was if he lives through the night we will discuss skating in the morning.
Where was that Nationals? Or do you have a link?

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
There was some sort of shocking report about Hough that came out during her time with Stars on Ice...mid-90s. It may have been on TV...in the midst of the skating boom. I remember because Hough/Ladret were special faves of mine at the time, so I was especially saddened. It’s in my tapes/DVDs but I don’t have time to go through them now. It might have even been on a tape related to SOI...she was interviewed and said how much happier she was now (at SOI) compared to her Olympic-training days, then we saw her & Ladret perform a routine in SOI.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information