2024 World Figure Skating Championships in Montreal

skategal

Bunny mama
Based on the seats available at this time I would say that ticket sales are not going well at all. The Friday/Saturday events look better, but Wednesday/Thursday don't look very good at all. There's maybe one section of seats, those directly across from the judges, that is sold out but every other section where tickets have been for sale still has lots of choice available.
Centre Bell is the largest NHL arena with over 21,000 seats.

It will be interesting to see how many are sold for Worlds but no way were they ever going to come close to selling it out.

Former Lurve Goddess

Based on the seats available at this time I would say that ticket sales are not going well at all. The Friday/Saturday events look better, but Wednesday/Thursday don't look very good at all. There's maybe one section of seats, those directly across from the judges, that is sold out but every other section where tickets have been for sale still has lots of choice available.
Because of the high cost of the tickets (and other things going on in my life), I only bought the Friday and Saturday tickets. Maybe if the prices hadn't been so high, more people would have been buying them? It appears that the tickets for Boston 2025 are cheaper despite the exchange rate.

honey

I do wonder what the venue choice would have been if Hanyu hadn’t still been competing when they initially placed the bid. They’ve lost a good chunk of guaranteed sales now that he has retired.

London in 2013 was a substantially smaller venue than this. Some argued too small for a worlds, but probably a more realistic sized venue for the current state of Canadian skating.

skatingguy

decently
I do wonder what the venue choice would have been if Hanyu hadn’t still been competing when they initially placed the bid. They’ve lost a good chunk of guaranteed sales now that he has retired.

London in 2013 was a substantially smaller venue than this. Some argued too small for a worlds, but probably a more realistic sized venue for the current state of Canadian skating.
Probably Place Bell - seating capacity around 10k.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Just curious about what you were looking at when you posted this. Saw some discussion on Twitter this morning about poor ticket sales. I looked at ticketmaster and sales are not great. Like most of the lower bowl no more than 1/3rd full except for the side opposite the judges.

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/isu-world-figure-skating-championships-tickets/artist/849382
it was the all event tickets allocated that had sold well I was told. Not sure what all event packages are left? I know the individual seats are now on sale but the central viewing tickets apparently hard to get for multiple events - just corners left?

Former Lurve Goddess

it was the all event tickets allocated that had sold well I was told. Not sure what all event packages are left? I know the individual seats are now on sale but the central viewing tickets apparently hard to get for multiple events - just corners left?
No all event packages are available now - some pretty good 1-day tickets (not just corners) are still left.

Lana K

In mourning for Kaori's 2022-2023 season hair
It's not far from the De l'Église metro station, however. Besides my friends all tell me that Verdun is now where all the cool kids are, after Mile End and the Plateau got too expensive.

Yeah, nothing wrong with Verdun as a neighbourhood! It’s just an hour away by metro if you live way up the orange line, beyond Mile-End and Plateau, like me. :lol:

sus2850

A to most of you probably stupid question:
I have never been to Montreal before. Which sights do you recommend? (I have about three half days to explore, and my French is not really existent). Thank you!

Former Lurve Goddess

I have never been to Montreal before. Which sights do you recommend? (I have about three half days to explore, and my French is not really existent). Thank you!
It depends on what you're interested in. And you can get by without French in much of downtown. Some suggestions: the Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC), Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des beaux-arts), Schwartz's Deli for a Montreal-style smoked meat sandwich, Mount Royal (if the weather is nice - it might not be!), Old Montreal, St. Viateur and/or Fairmount Bagels for a real Montreal-style bagel. Check out Cult MTL for other ideas.

skatingguy

decently

It depends on what you're interested in. And you can get by without French in much of downtown. Some suggestions: the Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC), Montreal Museum of Fine Arts (Musée des beaux-arts), Schwartz's Deli for a Montreal-style smoked meat sandwich, Mount Royal (if the weather is nice - it might not be!), Old Montreal, St. Viateur and/or Fairmount Bagels for a real Montreal-style bagel. Check out Cult MTL for other ideas.
All great recommendations, but just keep in mind that it will be March, and that means it will either be grey, and damp, or grey, and freezing, and probably both by the end of the week.

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
Simon's is a cute montreal department store, or olgivy/holt renfrew for higher end shopping.
Where’s the best place to get a thickish (3 or 4 ply) cashmere sweater?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Simon's is excellent - Quebec-based, run by the same family that founded it, really stylish and well designed clothes at all price levels. It also has homewares, if you need a blanket or throw to take to the rink.

Honestly, unless labels are more important to you than price or quality, I'd stay away from Ogilvy's and Holt Renfrew.

Re speaking French, my French is functional (at best) but I've never had a problem in downtown Montreal. I usually explain in French that my French is not good but I will try. If people see that you are struggling in French they will generally switch to English, even if their English is not great either. You'll manage, one way or the other.

AnnM

And waterproof shoes/boots.

I'd like to give a shout out to La Canadienne boots/booties from their city dry line. I bought two pairs while in Vancouver and they were both comfortable from the first wear. Walked a lot in Vegas over this past weekend in them and my feet were happy. I had actually planned to buy only one pair, but the second pair felt like slippers when I tried them on. Added bonus, they have several styles that don't obviously look like waterproof boots, so you can get more use from them in other seasons if you, like me, live in a drier climate. I plan to buy more in Montreal if the exchange rate holds up.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
Yeah, nothing wrong with Verdun as a neighbourhood! It’s just an hour away by metro if you live way up the orange line, beyond Mile-End and Plateau, like me. :lol:

West Islander here - at least you have a metro stop! :lol:

I’m not going to lie, March is generally the ugliest time of year in Montreal with slush and dirty snow (second having good waterproof boots). On the positive side temps shouldn’t get frigid like February, around freezing is what I’d expect. Worse case we have an extensive underground system, you can shop from The Bay to Simons without stepping a foot outside. :) If the weather’s ok though, I’d suggest getting off at Mont-Royal metro (orange line) and exploring from there. Point G macarons are an excellent treat btw!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Ex-local actually :). And Montreal now has milder winters than it used to. My father still talks about the great snow of '71.:lol:
I was living in Montreal for that one :) I was working at a hospital near the "old Forum" and ended up having to spend the night as, by the time we were told that we could leave, the transportation was no longer running. (I was not involved in patient care but ended up helping give out meals as they were short-staffed on the floors.) That was the night that the news broke that Pierre Trudeau had married Margaret.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
I was living in Montreal for that one :) I was working at a hospital near the "old Forum" and ended up having to spend the night as, by the time we were told that we could leave, the transportation was no longer running. (I was not involved in patient care but ended up helping give out meals as they were short-staffed on the floors.) That was the night that the news broke that Pierre Trudeau had married Margaret.

Montreal Children’s Hospital? :) That must have been an experience.

I will say that since moving back, I don’t think our winters are particularly worse now than a lot of the US (at least storm-wise). It just lasts longer which does suck.

peibeck

Simply looking

Google translate works well enough if you really need to speak with someone who speaks little or no English. I use it for Spanish all the time at work.

When I was briefly in Montreal, I was fascinated by the "underground city," of stores/shopping. And just walking around old Montreal, if weather/temps permit is like a trip to Europe.

It wasn't my favorite (sorry Montreal friends), but won't advise against another of Montreal's most renowned specialties: the Montreal bagel, as something people should try at least once. (Also less expensive than the more famous smoked meats :lol: )

And finally, because I'm a choco-holic, not super far from Bell Center is C'ChoColat. Decadence! DECADENCE!!!! :swoon: www.cchocolat.ca

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information