2024 Westminster Dog Show

Sylvia

TBD
This year's venue is, again, the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows Corona Park in Queens (home of the U.S. Open).

Viewing schedule: https://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/viewing-schedule/

Monday, May 13, 2024: Hound, Toy, Non-Sporting, and Herding Group Judging
Tuesday, May 14: Sporting, Working, and Terrier Group Judging followed by Best in Show
  • FS1 LIVE coverage from 7:30 – 11 PM ET
  • LIVE streaming for subscribers of the FOX Sports app
  • International access on WKC Youtube

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I watched the agility competition today -- it seems to be its own event but under the Westminster umbrella, so to speak. I love agility. The Shelties, my favorites, usually do very well (though today both the Shelties I saw were a bit off).

sk8pics

Clarence, the black lab from social media (Jimmy and Clarence) was a special guest apparently. The instagram post is hilarious.

Sylvia

TBD
I watched the agility competition today -- it seems to be its own event but under the Westminster umbrella, so to speak. I love agility. The Shelties, my favorites, usually do very well (though today both the Shelties I saw were a bit off).
I caught Nimble's impressive win yesterday! "At 28.76 seconds, Nimble has made history! Nimble is the FIRST 12" winner to be named Westminster Masters Agility Champion AND the first All-American Champion.": https://twitter.com/WKCDOGS/status/1789786884643733717

BaileyCatts

What time is Best in Show supposed to start Tuesday? I need to make sure I am home on time! :dog: Kinda like making sure you watch skating Live so you don't risk spoilers. :lol:

BaileyCatts

Poofy!!!! :rofl: I thought she might do it but was also leaning the Shepard. Sage owned that last run. :dog:

Icetalavista

I caught Nimble's impressive win yesterday! "At 28.76 seconds, Nimble has made history! Nimble is the FIRST 12" winner to be named Westminster Masters Agility Champion AND the first All-American Champion.": https://twitter.com/WKCDOGS/status/1789786884643733717

Nimble intrigued me. The is a papillon- border collie mix, evidently bred to be a “mini” border collie. I’m wondering if people are going to start crossbreeding for speed and agility, in which case a border collie/whippet mix might be the ticket.

Sylvia

TBD

"The miniature poodle chowed down on Wednesday at Bar Bouloud in Manhattan."

ETA:

Last night's winning moments:

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Poodles are actually ridiculously adorable when they aren’t groomed as foo foo dogs.

I know foo foo really isn’t a word lol. The show dogs.
Although exaggerated for show, that cut has a purpose in their origin as hunting dogs. The hair on the chest is to protect them from cold water, the poof on the tail is so the hunter can see his dog in the water, and the bracelets are to protect the joints. They were bred to retrieve ducks in cold water.

Judy

Although exaggerated for show, that cut has a purpose in their origin as hunting dogs. The hair on the chest is to protect them from cold water, the poof on the tail is so the hunter can see his dog in the water, and the bracelets are to protect the joints. They were bred to retrieve ducks in cold water.
I just prefer without.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I just prefer without.
Well, nobody keeps their dog "in hair" unless they're showing. :lol: It takes hours to do that groom. As soon as the owner decides to breed this dog, she'll be cut down. I keep mine clipped about an inch long.

Judy

Well, nobody keeps their dog "in hair" unless they're showing. :lol: It takes hours to do that groom. As soon as the owner decides to breed this dog, she'll be cut down. I keep mine clipped about an inch long.
I love all the dogs, I’m just talking about what I like. I know all the people around me with pups .. it’s def a great way to meet people too.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
:respec: for Sage's handler :):
Sage’s handler, 65-year-old Kaz Hosaka of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, who began showing at Westminster when he was 20 and had said this year’s show would be his last, was immediately overwhelmed by emotion after judge Rosalind Kramer’s decision was announced to the crowd of several thousand onlookers inside Arthur Ashe Stadium.
“I’ve been here for 45 years in America,” a teary-eyed Hosaka said. “I’ve been lucky. Did a lot, especially at Westminster. This is my seventh group win for poodles. That’s more than I could ask for. This is my perfect end. I cannot ask for more than this.”
“She did it for me today and she did it yesterday,” Hosaka said. “Poodles are not easy. Sometimes they pick the day [they feel like showing]. But she did it yesterday and today. And even in best in show, with all the echoes and a lot of people applauding, it’s not easy but she managed it. I was more nervous than maybe she was, but I’m so excited.”
It was a fairytale ending for Hosaka, who moved to the United States from Japan in 1979 with a dream of winning America’s most prestigious dog show. He finally achieved it in 2002 with another miniature poodle called Surrey Spice Girl, Sage’s great-grandmother, but a return trip to the mountaintop proved elusive.
“This is my 45th Westminster,” Hosaka said. “It took me 22 years to win the first best in show. Took me another 22 years, today, to win second best in show.”
“Showing poodles for 45 years is not easy,” he said. “I used to show so many poodles every week, 150 shows [in a year], and I have no time. Busy grooming, washing, getting ready for dog shows, coming home, washing all the dogs again. And my wife for 30 years supported me. I don’t want to retire because I’m sick or my wife gets sick. Both of us are healthy and we’d like to enjoy life together.”
At a news conference following Tuesday’s win, Hosaka confirmed Sage will be joining him in retirement, where she can finally leave the glamorous life behind.
“I don’t have to worry about hair,” he said. “She can scratch anything she want. She can get wet, go outside the rain. So she be like a normal dog. She’s going to be wonderful, wonderful pet and companion.”

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Wouldn't a whole - body puppy cut keep the whole dog warm?
Well, the show cut is extremely exaggerated from the original intent. Nobody keeps a poodle in show hair all the time. Short is the norm because the hair will mat.

Judy

Well, the show cut is extremely exaggerated from the original intent. Nobody keeps a poodle in show hair all the time. Short is the norm because the hair will mat.
I own two doodles. The fur def matts! I shave down in summer (not to the skin of course they do need some fur). Our summers are very hot and humid. Not like Texas or anything .. I’m in Ottawa Canada. I have a groomer do it because it’s soooo much easier on me lol. In winter their fur is a lot longer .. doodles do she’d but it’s very different - they matt.

Last edited:

Judy

I’m really hoping Jimmy and King Clarence don’t get kicked out of the Westminster Dog show (again).

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information