2024 US Nats Men FS: Succession would be The Impossible Dream but Silver is Up For Grabs

jlai

Question everything
Brown should be named to the Worlds team - he's got the pedigree - with a monitoring session or two scheduled to make sure things are coming along. If he gets to where he was last year than he should go to Worlds because it's a guaranteed top 10 finish. If he's not it gets difficult because the rest of the guys don't have the track record. Pulkinen has been to Worlds once, and was amazing, but how much practice time does he have between now & Worlds with going to Four Continents tomorrow, and then with school for the next couple months. Neither Torgashev, Naumov, or Hiwatashi have the consistency to be counted on for a top 10 finish.
I will be honest, having Naumov and Camden in one team makes me nervous. But they can score the competition correctly and pull bow for the least inconsistent skaters

Evgeniafan

Brown should be named to the Worlds team - he's got the pedigree - with a monitoring session or two scheduled to make sure things are coming along. If he gets to where he was last year than he should go to Worlds because it's a guaranteed top 10 finish. If he's not it gets difficult because the rest of the guys don't have the track record. Pulkinen has been to Worlds once, and was amazing, but how much practice time does he have between now & Worlds with going to Four Continents tomorrow, and then with school for the next couple months. Neither Torgashev, Naumov, or Hiwatashi have the consistency to be counted on for a top 10 finish.
I'm not sure Jason can get top 10. Mens are really bringing it this year.

cailuj365

Ilia seems to always lose focus/motivation at the Nationals FS (too much of a lead maybe...), and maybe this year, it was made worse by lack of training due to his boot problems. He looked absolutely gassed during his step sequence, so I kind of knew the mistakes were coming. That said, I don't really have a problem with him coming in his first (I don't care about the actual scores; domestic scores are irrelevant), and I don't think this performance derails the rest of his season too much as long as he gets the boots figured out. He's still an absolute monster with whatever he did land, and he had a giant lead from the SP.

I'm really torn about Jason's placement. I know he's a fan favorite and yes, his overall skating and emotion to the audience and music are beautiful, but Camden and Max skated very well and earned their way to Worlds as well. Even if they're not consistent, they should be given the chance, IMO. I'd be more than happy to have Jason show up and compete at Nationals every year and maybe come to the Worlds gala, but the other boys are dying to compete internationally too. In international competition, there's a ceiling to Jason's scores that do not reach the podium, even when you give him all the PCS.

Tinycities

I hope this scoring trend doesn’t mess with the motivation and competitiveness of younger skaters. You cannot tell them that in order to make the championship events, they have to show it on the ice. Then when they do, the scoring is egregiously political and working against them. That’s not going to motivate anyone.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Eh, I don't see him finishing top 10 at Worlds though. Not the way he skated this week. I know, men are gonna men but Shoma, Yuma, Kao, Ilia, Adam - that's 5 right there plus Junhwan seems back on track based on Korean Nats. Frangi, Boyang, 1-2 random Euro men (Britschgi, A Selevko, Vasiljevs), Camden and one of the up-and-coming Koreans are all it will take to bump Jason out of top 10. The odds are probably in Jason's favor if he is at 2023 Worlds level but I wouldn't bet on it this year. And if Ilia isn't at peak then we very well could lose the 3rd men's spot for Boston.

Sally1214

I watched the last 3 skaters with hubby so didn't have time to comment (other than with him). There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been expressed by everyone else. Obviously, Ilia deserved to win but it was pretty messy (although that 3lz/3axel/3toe combo was eye-popping)! When Ilia gets mad at himself, LOOK OUT. I've always loved Jason but he didn't skate all that well today. I think he was overscored on both TES and PCS (like so many of you). I think I enjoyed Camden the best of all. And, I feel sorry for Maxim .... he should have had the bronze. IMO, the world team should be Ilia, Camden and Maxim. But it is what it is and we just have to accept it .... not necessarily LIKE it but accept it. It's a shame that there were so many errors in the "championship" skates this week. Oh well, maybe the majority of the demons have been exorcised and we'll see MUCH better performances at Worlds. However, I DID enjoy myself this week .... I had a FUN time with all of you, even if I did need a little while sometimes to process what was unfolding in front of me.

And, that's a wrap for me. See you all next week at Four Continents. :)

skateboy

Eh, I don't see him finishing top 10 at Worlds though. Not the way he skated this week. I know, men are gonna men but Shoma, Yuma, Kao, Ilia, Adam - that's 5 right there plus Junhwan seems back on track based on Korean Nats. Frangi, Boyang, 1-2 random Euro men (Britschgi, M Selevko, Vasiljevs), Camden and one of the up-and-coming Koreans are all it will take to bump Jason out of top 10. The odds are probably in Jason's favor if he is at 2023 Worlds level but I wouldn't bet on it this year. And if Ilia isn't at peak then we very well could lose the 3rd men's spot for Boston.
Agreed. (But I think Ilia will be just fine.)

Baby Yoda On Skates

If Jason had been competing all season I would be fine naming him to Worlds, but he hasn't. His performance here was subdued with some little errors and a fall in the SP. His basic skating doesn't look the same. Now the men will men, but what if they don't?

Eventually USFS needs to stop relying on one skater to qualify spots.

And I'm not just saying this because I don't want to listen to The Impossible Dream again.

skatingguy

decently
I'm not sure Jason can get top 10. Mens are really bringing it this year.
If he was in the same form he was last year I think he'd be fine. Top 10 will have Malinin, 3 Japanese men, Siao Him Fa, probably Britschhgi, and everything else is up for grabs. Can Aleksandr Seleveko, or Frangipani repeat what he did at Europeans? Has Cha's ankle injury healed? I don't know who else you were thinking of, or if I'm forgetting someone obvious (probably am), but I don't think there's as much depth as you think there is.

Karen-W

My (in my head) generous explanation is that he knows, and this is his last Nationals, and he was just taking it all in.

I guess a year will tell the tale.... :shuffle:
Now that's more wishful thinking again... ;)

Karen-W

If he was in the same form he was last year I think he'd be fine. Top 10 will have Malinin, 3 Japanese men, Siao Him Fa, probably Britschhgi, and everything else is up for grabs. Can Aleksandr Seleveko, or Frangipani repeat what he did at Europeans? Has Cha's ankle injury healed? I don't know who else you were thinking of, or if I'm forgetting someone obvious (probably am), but I don't think there's as much depth as you think there is.
Camden, Boyang has been skating better recently. Next week will tell the tale, I suppose.

skatingguy

decently
Eh, I don't see him finishing top 10 at Worlds though. Not the way he skated this week. I know, men are gonna men but Shoma, Yuma, Kao, Ilia, Adam - that's 5 right there plus Junhwan seems back on track based on Korean Nats. Frangi, Boyang, 1-2 random Euro men (Britschgi, M Selevko, Vasiljevs), Camden and one of the up-and-coming Koreans are all it will take to bump Jason out of top 10. The odds are probably in Jason's favor if he is at 2023 Worlds level but I wouldn't bet on it this year. And if Ilia isn't at peak then we very well could lose the 3rd men's spot for Boston.
What Korean Nationals were you watching, because to me he was still doing watered down content? Let's see how things go at Four Continents. We can usually count on one Japanese man to dig themselves a hole in the short - my money's on Miura. An in form Jason easily beats most of the Euros guys aside from Adam, and he certainly finishes ahead of Camden. Not sure what to make of the up & coming Koreans - see Four Continents results later this week.

jlai

Question everything
I agree Jason's tes is a bit high. That said, I think everyone's pcs is a bit inflated; I'm fine with Jason having 5-7 more points in pcs at least over Camden who focused more on his elements.
So what's wrong is mainly the few extra points in TES for the sentimental fav :)

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
The Men's Press conference is about to begin (on YouTube). It was scheduled to begin about 1/2 an hour ago.

Prancer

Chitarrista
Staff member
So is there a gala or not? Because according to Peacock, there's not.
Yes. I think it's going to be broadcast later.

The Miami of Ohio U synchro team was warming up a while ago and they are putting up a new sign for Spectacular, which is apparently the new gala.

ETA: NEW KISS AND CRY. Note that I didn't say better, but there's no more cancer center.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
I've got Ilia's music stuck in my head, and that's about 99 percent better than most skating music that gets stuck in my head. :lol: I've never watched "Succession," or wanted to (though I do have a thing for Matthew Macfadyen), but that is one killer soundtrack. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information