2024 Canadian Stars on Ice

chewy

I went to the London show, a last minute decision. It wasn't a full house, and the crowd was more white hair than young skater groups which I attribute entirely to the ticket prices as you could tell by where the crowd was sitting as to where the demarkation line was for the lower price tickets.

Mr. Chewy who is the hockey guy appreciates the finesse of the blade and he kept talking about Satoko afterwards. Yeah, he gets it. I had not had a chance to ever see Deanna and Maxime live in person, and oh my god Deanna can emote to the last seat in the building. I hope she gets Canadian citizenship and can go to Olympics, the ultimate dream!! Such stars! The biggest applause for the skaters in the intros was for Elvis. He's not my cup of tea but based on the crowd, I can understand that.

Loena!! Giving it! Unfortunately, between Loena's charisma and Satoko's skating, Maddie Schizas didn't stand out.

Mr. Chewy, as I, is a fan of Ilia since we trekked across the wilds of New York State to go see him in Lake Placid land the first competitive 4A, and well, he mostly holds his place in the group numbers but his solos were highly interesting as to his potential. We talked a lot afterwards about how he's the the new kid but with all these tricks that he can do without having to think about, but the next step would be to define a style that's more than jumps. Seriously he doesn't need style, he can win with jumps for a long time (another discussion topic) but he needs a signature that's not just a snowboard trick. When you see pro skaters with careers this is more obvious. Elvis has been working that rock and roll biker chop chop feet for a long time, Keegan is always trying to kill himself (footwork in speedskates anyone?), Patrick has the most distinctive skating because Patrick, anyway you get my point. Ilia has long legs and should do something with them. Patrick got a bit of a standing O on his second program, but he biffed a spin so it was a mixed applause.

I liked the SOI Skaters Observation Institute segments. It's been a while since the show has had a theme to holds things together and the skaters pull it off. It was effective in Maxime transitioning into the Lets Hear it for the Boy number. The audio wasn't that great where we were sitting so we didn't catch all of the voiceovers especially in the beginning, and there were some dead spots as they shifted props in and out.

Does anyone know if the show will be taped for TV?

@SkateGuard, I appreciated the music list. It makes it easier to remember the show afterwards!

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
One of my friends who attended the Ottawa show with me observed that the sound issues (at least here) appeared to be because, perhaps in a cost-saving move, they did not install their own sound equipment as they had in the past. They appeared to just "tap into" the arena sound system which wasn't of the same quality.

As I mentioned before we too enjoyed the linking "bits" that pertained to the theme as in SOIs of years ago.

Edited to add that the crowd in Ottawa consisted of all ages, based on my observation, but may have been slightly smaller than last year.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Just got an email that the Vancouver show has been moved to Monday May 13 (from Tuesday). Anyone who can't go that night and has a ticket has until midday May 11 to request a refund.

kalamalka

That might impact @kalamalka & Rosaleen's plans.

it does - we'll still be there, but I have to go over a day earlier, change hotel reservations, and also communicate with the unit that the event date has moved (which has become difficult in general, and worse on weekends). I'm still working on logistics.
Is anyone else going to the pre-show (stargazer) session?

Habs

A bitch from Canada
So, I have to agree that I didn't love the show this year. The group costuming wasn't great, the transition segments were clunky, and the opening introductions were just awful.

Many of the individual performances were great - notably Gilles & Poirier, Chan, and Malinin (to my surprise!), but the show itself was kind of a dud. This was my 31st time at CSOI and definitely one of the ones I enjoyed the least. :(

puglover

Wi
So, I have to agree that I didn't love the show this year. The group costuming wasn't great, the transition segments were clunky, and the opening introductions were just awful.

Many of the individual performances were great - notably Gilles & Poirier, Chan, and Malinin (to my surprise!), but the show itself was kind of a dud. This was my 31st time at CSOI and definitely one of the ones I enjoyed the least. :(
With no show this year in Winnipeg and my hesitancy to travel to Calgary although I do have good friends i could stay with, I do feel sad that I missed Patrick's last tour. I also enjoy Gilles and Poirier and would have loved to see them again.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Yeah well, it's hard to enthuse. There were a couple of standout numbers, far too much lame science stuff, and a lot of mediocre numbers. I'm so tired of the women skating in the pretty princess mold, but since it's all they've been taught it's not surprising. I'd love to see them skate with some real in-your-face down and dirty grit. Give me Goth girl, give me a badass rocker girl. Patrick was lovely but not outstanding, but I enjoyed his Lala Land number. Deanna and Max didn't get the chance to show off what they can really do because of all the stupid lame science stuff. Keegs was thoroughly entertaining if only for his energy. Ilia is not cooked yet, but his second number was pretty good. Some of the science things were entertaining, but there was just way too much of it (how to belabour a point Kurt!), and the individual numbers needed more originality and better choreography.
The two best numbers of the night for me were, by far, Piper and Paul skating to Whiter Shade of Pale, and Elvis doing his brilliant heavy metal number. He brought the house down. For me these two were the only numbers that were truly entertaining.
As artistic director Kurt is no Sandra Bezic. That is all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information