2023 Oscars “Red” Carpet & Ceremony

VGThuy

I am planning to it EEAAO, despite some mixed reviews. Usually I don't like weird movies. I hope I can sit through this, so I can give my honest opinion - good/bad/neutral/crazy, etc.
It’s very hectic and the editing is music video wild at times, so be prepared for that. It never felt too overwhelming in the way a lot of movies with that fast cut editing style can be though. I think that says a lot about the attention they put into piecing the film together. Yeoh even said the screenplay was actually meticulous about all the fast cuts and stuff and had it all planned out. Usually that kind of stuff is decided in post-production.

screech

I was chatting with a friend when the Oscars were on and she said that The Daniels give her Matt Stone/Trey Parker energy, and honestly, I can kind of see it. At first I responded that they were kind of the 'classy' version of Matt/Trey, then I remembered the butt plug fight scene in EEAAO, their movie with a farting corpse (Swiss Army Man), and their music video for 'Turn Down For What'.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am not getting EEAAO from DVD Netflix. I am getting Women Talking instead. I am disappointed. I won't go to a cinema house to watch it, because all seats will be taken.

VGThuy

I was chatting with a friend when the Oscars were on and she said that The Daniels give her Matt Stone/Trey Parker energy, and honestly, I can kind of see it. At first I responded that they were kind of the 'classy' version of Matt/Trey, then I remembered the butt plug fight scene in EEAAO, their movie with a farting corpse (Swiss Army Man), and their music video for 'Turn Down For What'.
Yeah, maybe classy isn’t the word, but more… optimistic and less cynical version. I don’t think the Daniels are into poking fun of people and their perceived hypocrisies but rather accepting that people are imperfect but are still capable of kindness if we ourselves do what we can to provide it. It won’t always work, but don’t let jerks bring you down because hurt people will want to hurt people.

Last edited:

Winnipeg

I noticed a couple of outfits and hairdos that would make it impossible for the person sitting behind them to see. One would think there should be rules for that but then again one would also assume people should know better and be more considerate of those sitting behind them.

Most of the outfits were not very attractive IMHO.

VGThuy

I mean the whole exchange was pretty superficial and whatever, but Hugh Grant knows the drill now. If he didn't want to be asked those sorts of questions, he didn't have to attend the carpet and do those interviews. It's not like she was a hard-hitting journalist, and she was just doing her job to ask about outfit and films. She could have done a better job, but did he need to treat her like she was intellectually beneath him or something? We get it, his Vanity Fair comment went over her head. Sorry she's not worth his time.

Cachoo

I noticed a couple of outfits and hairdos that would make it impossible for the person sitting behind them to see. One would think there should be rules for that but then again one would also assume people should know better and be more considerate of those sitting behind them.

Most of the outfits were not very attractive IMHO.
In some instances lately I keep thinking of "The Hunger Games" and the "fashionable" people in the capital, and how silly they looked, as compared to Catniss and her crew. Sometimes it hits and a lot of times it misses.

olympic

I think that Hugh Grant's responses are neither here nor there. Maybe he was trying to make a point or just being boring

The American entertainment elite by and large airbrushes so much in their interviews and actions, so as not to offend or do anything to harm their rep. It's honestly boring. I like to tune into UK interview shows like Graham Norton where they show up looking crazy sometimes, then just take the piss out of each other and laugh it off

VGThuy

I think that Hugh Grant's responses are neither here nor there. Maybe he was trying to make a point or just being boring

The American entertainment elite by and large airbrushes so much in their interviews and actions, so as not to offend or do anything to harm their rep. It's honestly boring. I like to tune into UK interview shows like Graham Norton where they show up looking crazy sometimes, then just take the piss out of each other and laugh it off
I understand that, I just think taking it out in the interviewer who has no control over the content and style of the type of shallow, positive-style reporting she’s paid to do isn’t really the right person to take one’s frustrations over American entertainment out on. I mean he could have done that on Seth Myers or Jimmy Kimmel or whatever late night show. He's like over 60-years-old now and has been doing this for thirty years? He knows what the red carpet is like and how stupid it can be; either do it and get the publicity or don’t do it and miss out on the press he’s getting by being there.

olympic

I understand that, I just think taking it out in the interviewer who has no control over the content and style of the type of shallow, positive-style reporting she’s paid to do isn’t really the right person to take one’s frustrations over American entertainment out on. I mean he could have done that on Seth Myers or Jimmy Kimmel or whatever late night show. He's like over 60-years-old now and has been doing this for thirty years? He knows what the red carpet is like and how stupid it can be; either do it and get the publicity or don’t do it and miss out on the press he’s getting by being there.
Yeah. I agree with that, too. I just had this stream of consciousness at the time I posted, and I was just posting what that silly interview meant to me.

manhn

I think it’s like a customer who is rude to a waitress or cashier who is there just doing their job at a crappy restaurant or a grocery store with overpriced items. Do people expect her to have control in the questions to be asked?

Were people expecting the interviewer to explore his oeuvre or his thoughts on western civilization? Even if she had the capacity to ask the pertinent questions (kinda hate people are criticizing the interview when she was very much hired to do exactly what she was doing). Goodness, as if the British Press don’t get butthurt about how Americans behave in their country.

Jenny

From the Bloc
I felt bad for her, like others have said she was doing her job, and frankly he was not. Stars are there to promote their movies, and if they aren't in one currently, they're there to promote the movie business.

Asking who he was wearing was more than just a silly question because he was shutting down everything else she and the producers had prepared to speak about. It was a legit question, and it should have been an easy one for him to answer. Most stars are wearing borrowed outfits and jewellery that they get to wear (and sometimes keep) for free in exchange for promoting the brands who loaned them. Even when they wear their own clothes, promoting the brand that scored you that very nice suit is part of the game. He could have even mentioned his tailor by name.

Further, if he didn't like the questions there was nothing to stop him from saying something else entirely, such as mentioning an upcoming project or even just that he was happy to be asked to present and something about the category and how great all the nominees were.

vgerdes

Agree with those who said Hugh was taking the piss out of the wrong person that night. I just thought the headline was funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information