2022 Winter Olympics status updates, news articles, etc.

Seerek

Bobsleigh driver Elana Meyers Taylor 🇺🇸 tested positive on Saturday. She has medals from each of the last 3 Olympics.

Women's monobob (a new event) starts on the 13th, the 2 women event takes place starting on the 18th.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Bobsleigh driver Elana Meyers Taylor 🇺🇸 tested positive on Saturday. She has medals from each of the last 3 Olympics.

Women's monobob (a new event) starts on the 13th, the 2 women event takes place starting on the 18th.

Well, being asymptomatic and with that much time before her events start, she should, hopefully, be able to still compete, but it could be cutting it close and she'll lose valuable training runs.

Sylvia

TBD
Feb 2 (Reuters) - The world's leading women's ski jumper, Marita Kramer of Austria, will miss the Beijing Olympics after failing to recover from the COVID-19 virus in time to make it to the Chinese capital.
The Austrian, who initially delayed her departure last week after testing positive during a competition in Germany -- the last one before the Games -- said she would not be able to recover in time for her competition.
The 20-year-old Kramer was due to participate at her first Games with her competition starting later this week.
"No words, no feelings, just emptiness," she said on social media. "Is the world really this unfair? The last years I have prepared for the Olympics. I have put in so much energy and time in it to make my dreams come true."
"Now it feels that my dreams are gone within one day."
Kramer's post in English: https://www.instagram.com/p/CZb2kvLNNMk/
:(

Seerek

Congratulations to 4 time Olympian Michal Brezina 🇨🇿 on being named Opening ceremony Flag Bearer for Czech Republic

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for the Loena H. & Michal B. article links, @Seerek! I've just re-posted them in the Figure Skaters as Flag Bearers thread in the 2022 Olympics forum.

Elana Meyers Taylor and John Shuster were named the Team USA flag bearers: https://twitter.com/NBCOlympics/status/1488867533058936834
"Three-time Olympian @BrittanyBowe, the first runner-up in the flag bearer election, will walk on behalf of Meyers Taylor, who recently shared she tested positive for COVID-19 and is unable to attend the Opening Ceremony."

In a golden gesture at the Olympic trials, American [Brittany] Bowe offered to give her place in the women’s 500m at Beijing 2022 to friend and World No. 1 Jackson. Both will compete at the Winter Games.
https://olympics.com/en/news/speedskating-brittany-bowe-offers-olympic-spot-erin-jackson

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I wanna talk about Canada, If I recall, Own the Podium started around 2003 when we got the bid for Vancouver. I believe OTP has its offices here in Calgary at Olympic Park. But even WinSport is neglecting the facilities. No ski jumps, no sliding track (temporary closure), and no nordic club at the park (they got evicted to put in a tubing park), and the oval experienced mechanical failure last year. There is, or was, a Calgary '88 Legacy Fund. I recall reading it was over $ 70 million. I want to know what the hell happened to this money. Maybe Vancouver 2030 will give the program a boost.
Vancouver 2030 is officially dead. City Council killed the project last month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information