2022 Winter Olympics status updates, news articles, etc.

stjeaskategym

"There is a plan in place, according to the IOC, should an athlete who has tested positive and since recovered test positive again in China.

A medical expert panel has been made up of 20 members, including representation from the China Centre for Disease Control, the Beijing CDC, and five international representatives of the IOC, the International Paralympic Committee and Winter International Federations.

The panel will deal with each case individually."

___

"We are trying to put in place ways in which they can prove with extra testing that although they did have Omicron, they are no longer infectious and can be allowed into China," said Brian McCloskey, a member of the International Olympic Committee's Medical Expert Panel advising on health measures."
___

Stuff like this at least makes it sounds like the IOC is on the athletes' side and isn't looking to unfairly boot healthy athletes from the Games based on false positives. Hopefully all federations have the necessary proof/documentation ready to show an athlete's infection is old and no longer contagious. If anything, athletes who've already had it are far less of a health threat than athletes who could potentially get infected on the flight to Beijing, in the village, etc.

It's hard to imagine the IOC ok'ing a plan where China can kick out healthy athletes just because they have harmless remnants left over in their systems from old infection. They have nothing to gain by running an unfair Olympics. The journalists writing these articles seem more concerned than the actual athletes though, so hopefully it's true the IOC is working closely with the athletes/governing bodies to make sure any recovered athletes are cleared.

Last edited:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
But they don't kick them out if they're positive, correct? I thought they had to go to quarantine hotel for some period of time.

skatingguy

Stuff like this at least makes it sounds like the IOC is on the athletes' side and isn't looking to unfairly boot healthy athletes from the Games based on false positives. Hopefully all federations have the necessary proof/documentation ready to show an athlete's infection is old and no longer contagious. If anything, athletes who've already had it are far less of a health threat than athletes who could potentially get infected on the flight to Beijing, in the village, etc.

It's hard to imagine the IOC ok'ing a plan where China can kick out healthy athletes just because they have harmless remnants left over in their systems from old infection. They have nothing to gain by running an unfair Olympics. The journalists writing these articles seem more concerned than the actual athletes though, so hopefully it's true the IOC is working closely with the athletes/governing bodies to make sure any recovered athletes are cleared.
The IOC was more than willing to play along with the Chinese Government story regarding Peng Shuai, and put on the that dog & pony show of a phone call between her and IOC President Thomas Bach. They have no credibility when it comes to holding the Chinese government to account.

stjeaskategym

The IOC was more than willing to play along with the Chinese Government story regarding Peng Shuai, and put on the that dog & pony show of a phone call between her and IOC President Thomas Bach. They have no credibility when it comes to holding the Chinese government to account.

You're right, they want China to look like a great host. But they won't look like great host if they kick athletes out of the Olympics based on false positives. Would the IOC really want Olympic stars like Shaun White and Mikaela Shiffrin tossed from the Olympics when they're already recovered and no longer contagious? That would weaken the IOC's product and make the Olympics look more like a crock. It seems they have a plan in place to prevent anything ridiculous like that from happening, but I'm not understanding the purpose of testing people who have already recovered and are no longer contagious so many times- 5 tests before even getting on the plane. What is the purpose if the person is no longer contagious.

skatingguy

You're right, they want China to look like a great host. But they won't look like great host if they kick athletes out of the Olympics based on false positives. Would the IOC really want Olympic stars like Shaun White and Mikaela Shiffrin tossed from the Olympics when they're already recovered and no longer contagious? That would weaken the IOC's product and make the Olympics look more like a crock. It seems they have a plan in place to prevent anything ridiculous like that from happening, but I'm not understanding the purpose of testing people who have already recovered and are no longer contagious so many times- 5 tests before even getting on the plane. What is the purpose if the person is no longer contagious.
There's definitely some *********-theatre with the Chinese restrictions - it's as important that they look like they're taking a strong stand, as actually doing something effective - plus Chinese nationalism runs pretty strong at this time so extra restrictions on foreigners will not be seen unfavourably by the Chinese people. I think we need to keep in mind that the greatest threat to the Chinese government is from the Chinese people, and pandemics/disease outbreaks have led to more than a few collapsed governments & revolutions.

Seerek

As someone posted earlier, it could start to get somewhat suspicious if the positives are predominantly for events where China has medal contenders (e.g. any of Olympics poster girl Eileen Gu's rivals in halfpipe and/or big air freestyle ski).

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
There's definitely some *********-theatre with the Chinese restrictions - it's as important that they look like they're taking a strong stand, as actually doing something effective - plus Chinese nationalism runs pretty strong at this time so extra restrictions on foreigners will not be seen unfavourably by the Chinese people. I think we need to keep in mind that the greatest threat to the Chinese government is from the Chinese people, and pandemics/disease outbreaks have led to more than a few collapsed governments & revolutions.
I think the question is whether the Chinese government is more concerned with internal perceptions or external perceptions. I think they are likely more concerned with internal ones as you note here. And that may not be good for the athletes. For one thing, China has implemented severe lockdowns throughout the ********* and have faced disgruntlement from the population about these. They can't afford for it to seem they are letting up just for the sake of foreign athletes.

I think they do care about external perceptions so I don't think they will toss the top athletes but they may chose to make some examples of people for the sake of the perceptions within China.

We shall soon see, but it does seem like a dicey situation for Olympic competitors.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
"Crock" - perfect description! I feel awful for the athletes.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico, via Russia - to the World!
Athletes who test positive for Crud but are asymptomatic will be taken to “isolation facilities” and provided with “three meals a day” and other basics, listed in this new article. Those who test positive with symptoms won’t be so lucky…straight to the hospital!

allezfred

Lipinski Stole My Catchphrase
Staff member
I was in a taxi with a driver from Dalian who said that Chinese citizens travelling back there have to do four weeks quarantine at a government facility with PCR tests ever other day. The rules for the Olympics might sound strict to us, but they are pretty loose in comparison to what the Chinese authorities impose on their own nationals.

taz'smum

as @Jesche says - мама knows best
For some reason I don't seem to be able to post a link to the CNN article but here is some of what it said

Already, C19 has been detected in recent Olympic arrivals in Beijing, both at the airport and inside the closed loop.

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said in a statement Wednesday that so far, 1.53% tests conducted upon arrival are positive, while 0.02% of regular screening tests taken inside the closed loop are positive. It did not specify the number of total tests in both scenarios.

"All cases so far are within 5 days of arrival and are therefore assessed as being imported (contracted prior to arrival in Beijing). No infection has occurred within the Closed Loop," the statement said.

Gris

Today's report:

新华社北京1月23日电 北京冬奥组委23日通报,自1月4日0:00至22日23:59,机场入境涉奥人员总数累计2586人,其中运动员及随队官员171人,其他利益相关方2415人。经海关检测后,复检新冠病毒阳性39人,均来自其他利益相关方。

1月4日0:00至22日23:59,闭环内核酸检测总次数336421次,其中运动员及随队官员175次,其他利益相关方336246次。复检新冠病毒阳性33人,均来自其他利益相关方。

"From Jan. 4 to Jan. 22: 2586 people have entered China by air, of which 171 are athletes & team officials and 2415 are other stakeholders. 39 people tested positive at the customs, all are other stakeholders.

From Jan. 4 to Jan. 22: 336,421 PCR tests were conducted in the closed-loop, of which 175 are for athletes & team officials and 336,246 are for other stakeholders. 33 people tested positive, all are other stakeholders."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information