2022-23 Pairs General Discussion - You Get a GP! You Get a GP! All of You Get a GP!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So.. skating.

The race for the (likely) three remaining pairs spots in the GP.

France has the 'deepest' field in Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps(13), Safina/Berulava, Hocke/Kunkel, and Ghilardi/Ambrosini
MK John Wilson has Metelkina/Parkman, Conti/Macii(11), Knierim/Frazier(15)
NHK has Hocke/Kunkel, Miura/Kihara(15), and Chan/Howe(13)
Espoo has Metelkina/Parkman, Safina/Berulava, Ghilardi/Ambrosini, and potentially Efimova/Blommaert

France is really a toss-up for the top 4 spots, I think with SD/D probably favored after Skate America. Whoever finishes 4th in this group most likely loses their ticket to the Final, unless it's S/B or G/A and then they go on to win in Finland- which is a definite possibility. If SD/D finish 3rd, it could be a huge grouping of 2nd&3rd place standings to tie-break the finalists.

Knierim/Frazier should win in GBR easily, but it's a weak field otherwise and Conti/Macii have a great shot at putting themselves into contention for GPF with a silver. Metelkina/Parkman started the year slow. McBeath/Bartholomay are a question mark but I don't know that they could be a threat for top 2 either way.

At NHK, obviously Miura/Kihara lead the way but Chan/Howe versus Hocke/Kunkel could be quite the battle for silver.

And Efimova/Blommaert skating in Espoo can potentially throw the 4th-place team out of the Final if the standings are as close as it looks to be.

So, K/F (USA), M/K (JPN), DS/S(CAN), and then who knows.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
LOL - @tony - part of me feels like we'll have far more clarity after next week, until we don't because the following weeks' results don't play out as we're handicapping on paper here.

I agree with your overall assessment, however, Safina/Berulava are even more of an unknown than Metelkina/Parkman, who at least competed at Nebelhorn. SafBeru were slated for Finlandia and then withdrawn the week before. They, and Kazakova/Reviya in dance, are complete mysteries going into next at GPdF!

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Ding Ding Ding! Nailed it in one!

Unfortunately, getting them a new choreographer would probably require a complete move away from Oakville.

Totally, that’s exactly what it took for Alexa and Chris to get a different Julie choreographer

AngieNikodinovLove

Alexa and Chris never trained with Marcotte and/or Gauthier. They just worked with Julie Marcotte for choreography.

yes I know that’s what I meant, I said it took a move to I believe alyona to get away from Julie choreography. I’m so glad they left Dalilah and Julie choreo

Karen said it would take a move to get them away from that choreography

Karen-W

yes I know that’s what I meant, I said it took a move to I believe alyona to get away from Julie choreography. I’m so glad they left Dalilah and Julie choreo

Karen said it would take a move to get them away from that choreography
I said it would take a move from Oakville and their coaching team (Bruno Marcotte) to get MiuKih away from Julie Marcotte's (sister of Bruno) choreo.

clairecloutier

A short mini-article & photos of Anna Valesi/Manuel Piazza, who made their Grand Prix debut at Skate America:

Karen-W

Beccari/Guarise skated at a local competition today

They are at minute 47:30 here:
Wow. Pretty good! Need to up the difficulty on the throw and twist, but solid basics! Can't wait to see their Challenger debut at Warsaw Cup in a couple weeks.

Karen-W

So, uhm, yeah... Les Kovs are apparently in the mix for the GPF and SafBeru don't look to be in contention at all unless her knee is miraculously healed before Espoo.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Beccari/Guarise are at 47:40 here (the link says men's and women's SPs, but it's mislabeled):

The bad news is, they skated to Les Mis with truly terrible cuts. The good news is, they had a pretty good skate (just one throw fall and one awkward lift exit)!

AngieNikodinovLove

Beccari/Guarise are at 47:40 here (the link says men's and women's SPs, but it's mislabeled):

The bad news is, they skated to Les Mis with truly terrible cuts. The good news is, they had a pretty good skate (just one throw fall and one awkward lift exit)!

Overall it was good, I like the fact there were no cat suits, and landed jumps

Even though he is highly experienced I can see he’s still gonna give us the stone, statue zero emotion projection. And a piece like Les Mis requires lots of emotion.

Karen-W

Pairs is still as big of a hot mess as ever on the GP scene, lol.

Meanwhile, we have a promising new team that competed at IceChallenge this weekend too!

Kam/O'Shea were quite good in their debut at the IceChallenge senior pairs event.

Unfortunately, their coach, Drew Meekins, got it a little wrong - https://instagram.com/stories/drew_...ource=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

I sent him a DM to explain that this isn't one of the designated pairs comps on the Challenger Series so it doesn't count for SB, but that it does count for TES mins and how great it is that they did earn those so easily.

Here's their SP - https://youtu.be/yuqyzJq9xjs?t=33053
And their FS - https://youtu.be/6nbATOw1EoQ?t=30165

Andrea82

GPF race

Knierim/Frazier and Stellato/Deschamps are qualified for GPFinal.

Conti/Macii have 24 points (11+13) with 370.32 points in total (186.18 at Skate Canada and 184.14 at Sheffield).

If NHK is

1) Miura/Kihara
2) Chan/Howe
3) Kovalevs
4) Hock/Kunkel

Chan/Howe would qualify for GPF with 26 points
Hock/Kunkel would be eliminated (20 points=11+9).
Kovalevs would be at 24 points. They would need 190.47 points to beat Conti/Macii in the tiebreaker.
The couple in 6th would have to wait for Finland. If Ghilardi/Ambrosini or Metelkina/Parkman win, they would be in the final (4th + 1st is 24 points but top placement is the first tiebreaker). If they are 2nd, both Kovalevs and Conti/Macii would qualify.

If NHK is
1) Miura/Kihara
2) Kovalevs
3) Chan/Howe
4) Hock/Kunkel

Kovalevs would be certainly in with 26 points.
Chan/Howe would be at 24 points and they need 184.84 points to beat Conti/Macii.
Couple in 6th would have to wait for M/P and G/A's result in Finland.

If NHK is
1) Miura/Kihara
2) Hock/Kunkel
3) Kovalevs or Chan/Howe

Hock/Kunkel, the pair in 3rd and Conti/Macii would be all tied. One would have to wait for Finland result.
The pair in 4th would be out.

Karen-W

GPF race

Knierim/Frazier and Stellato/Deschamps are qualified for GPFinal.

Conti/Macii have 24 points (11+13) with 370.32 points in total (186.18 at Skate Canada and 184.14 at Sheffield).

If NHK is

1) Miura/Kihara
2) Chan/Howe
3) Kovalevs
4) Hock/Kunkel

Chan/Howe would qualify for GPF with 26 points
Hock/Kunkel would be eliminated (20 points=11+9).
Kovalevs would be at 24 points. They would need 190.47 points to beat Conti/Macii in the tiebreaker.
The couple in 6th would have to wait for Finland. If Ghilardi/Ambrosini or Metelkina/Parkman win, they would be in the final (4th + 1st is 24 points but top placement is the first tiebreaker). If they are 2nd, both Kovalevs and Conti/Macii would qualify.

If NHK is
1) Miura/Kihara
2) Kovalevs
3) Chan/Howe
4) Hock/Kunkel

Kovalevs would be certainly in with 26 points.
Chan/Howe would be at 24 points and they need 184.84 points to beat Conti/Macii.
Couple in 6th would have to wait for M/P and G/A's result in Finland.

If NHK is
1) Miura/Kihara
2) Hock/Kunkel
3) Kovalevs or Chan/Howe

Hock/Kunkel, the pair in 3rd and Conti/Macii would be all tied. One would have to wait for Finland result.
The pair in 4th would be out.
Hocke/Kunkel need to be 2nd, otherwise they're definitely out. 3rd/3rd won't beat a 2nd/2nd or a 2nd/3rd from Chan/Howe or Les Kovs, and it won't beat Conti/Macii's 2nd/3rd.

4th for either Chan/Howe or Les Kovs would also eliminate that team as a 2nd/4th won't beat Conti/Macii's 2nd/3rd.

Karen-W

Before I got distracted by revisionist history in the Valieva thread, I was looking at the initial pairs GP assignments list, curious about how many teams actually wound up getting GP assignments when it was all said and done.

There were 26 teams assigned to the 48 slots, with 6 additional teams receiving assignments during the season, for a grand total of 32 teams receiving assignments with 3 slots left open due to withdrawals occurring within the 14-day window (closer to 7-10 days). The total minimum score (3/5 of the highest score at Worlds) was 132.65, which meant that there were 3 continuing senior teams on the SB Top 75 who were initially ineligible for GP assignments (except host spots).

Operating on the presumption that the total minimum score will be somewhere in the vicinity of 135 (which would mean this year's WC scores 225+ at Worlds), there are currently 34 teams on the SB list who have scores higher than that benchmark, however 3 of those scores are from junior teams who will NOT be eligible for senior competitions next season - Baram/Tioumentsev, Smith/Deng and Murakami/Moriguchi.

Additionally, we have another 5-8 teams that are likely to meet that benchmark at one of the qualifying competitions in the near future as they've all exceeded that score at recent competitions (or, in the case of the Crafoords, very close to achieving it just 4 weeks after getting back on the ice from Greta's major knee injury) - Crafoord/Crafoord, Gamez/Korovin, Beccari/Guarise, Alteryd/Farand, Kam/O'Shea, Pereira/Michaud, Proft/Nadeau, Hanns/Neudecker.

That would equal 39 senior level teams that are eligible for selection next season - and that doesn't even include teams that are out indefinitely due to injury or suspension - Peng/Jin, Matte/Ferland, Chernyshova/Windsor, Holichenko/Darenskiy, and Barquero/Zandron, nor does it include the teams that have been competing this fall but are still a bit off (or a lot, lol) from meeting the total minimum score at at qualifying competition - Schaller/Mayr, Smart/Mattick, Yang/Deng, Keriven/Bouvart, Faula/Belle - or teams that have yet to compete anywhere (we'll see 2 this week at Warsaw Cup - Simioli/Zarbo and Mauder/Wilkinson).

Now, sure, the level of competition hasn't been as high, and that's definitely made for some rough watching as teams have struggled to find their balance between attempting skills that are beyond their capabilities and going for clean programs. It does seem like more teams have scaled back a bit, which might not have the same wow factor, but they do make for a more pleasant viewing experience. Right now, there are 51 teams on the SB list with 5 more scheduled to compete at Warsaw Cup. By comparison, last season, there were 77 teams on the SB list, 17 of whom are from RUS or BLR. It seems easy to say "oh, pairs is in trouble!!!" but right now, it's looking like we're going to actually have MORE teams competing this season than we did last season if some of these teams who haven't competed internationally yet or are injured do wind up competing during the next 4 months.

toddlj

Sylvia

TBD
New team alert! There will be a pairs team, representing South Africa, competing at Warsaw Cup next month! https://results.isu.org/events/cspol2022_Pairs.htm

Julia Mauder / Johannes Wilkinson

Here is their ISU bio - http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00114610.htm
Wilkinson's September 2022 post when he and Julia were training in Bergamo with: https://www.instagram.com/p/CizG2_JqF-Y/

SAFSA Central Gauteng's FB post & photos (tryout?) from April 2021: https://www.facebook.com/SAFSACG/po...uder-from-germany-visiting-/1648256278895426/

ETA that Mauder/Wilkinson competed at RSA Nationals as the only Senior pair in May 2022 (just belatedly created a results thread in the Archives).

Last edited:

mattiecat13

Does anyone have an update on Hase/Seegert? I read they had stopped competing together and I wonder if she found a new partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information