2021 U.S. Figure Skating Championships moved to Las Vegas; no audience

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Zachary Donahue feel free to break into my house tonight (Doors will be unlocked). Come to the bedroom (First door on right).

Wear the same sleeveless shirt as you just had on! Keep the same tight pants, although they won’t be on long!

I know I’m going to get flack from @Brenda_Bottems but ANL has needs honeyyyyyyy!
Just go to bed now.

NAOTMAA

Is it really necessary for them to be wearing the masks in the k&c right after performances? Some of the ladies in tonight's free skate looked like they were having trouble breathing and it wasn't pretty. It's not like there is anyone else there, its just them.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Is it really necessary for them to be wearing the masks in the k&c right after performances? Some of the ladies in tonight's free skate looked like they were having trouble breathing and it wasn't pretty. It's not like there is anyone else there, its just them.
They have to follow the YKW rules, I feel bad for them but they will be okay.

Quadaxel2020

What about the camera person directly in front of them and the person who opens up the rink door? They’re breathing heavily, which means their particles can spread even further.

tony

I think the mask thing is to appease the people who would be storming social media and emailing asking how they were to know if the skaters had their masks on backstage or not and if any procedures were being followed. By putting them on while on camera, that solves that.

feraina

So why was ladies’ FS tonight? Is ladies not the marquee event anymore? All over by Friday evening? Didn’t they used to do it on Saturday night? I mean, I guess I’m happy I got to find out sooner the outcome of my favorite event. But then the rest feels anticlimactic for me.

VGThuy

So why was ladies’ FS tonight? Is ladies not the marquee event anymore? All over by Friday evening? Didn’t they used to do it on Saturday night? I mean, I guess I’m happy I got to find out sooner the outcome of my favorite event. But then the rest feels anticlimactic for me.
Someone explained it earlier in the other thread. The Ladies would usually be on Saturday night prime time but NFL scheduling got in the way and now there’s NFL football tomorrow night during prime time (it’s the playoffs!!!). The pairs and ice dance are now happening tomorrow but they’re relegated to NBCSN rather than NBC. I get ladies may be your fave but honestly with the way the men and ice dance has been for the US, they should have replaced the ladies as the premier event for US figure skating but it seems your sentiment is popular and this sport here will always be a heavily biased towards Ladies.

Quadaxel2020

Has anyone solved the mystery of why Mariah is still wearing the same dress for both programs? I get that there's a ********* going on but everyone else seems to have figured out how to get costumes. Some gorgeous ones too, not gonna talk about Starr's tights tho...
What was wrong with Starr’s tights?

VGThuy

The ladies free has been on a Friday, and hasn't been the marquee event, for quite some time now and isn't something new.
The last time the ladies were on prime time on NBC on Saturday was 2017. In 2018, the Men’s LP took the Sat. Primetime spot but not on NBC but NBCSN while NBC played a NFL wildcard playoff game.

In 2019, the free dance was on
prime time on NBCSN while NBC played the NHL All-Star game.

In 2020, the free dance and pairs played on Saturday prime time on NBCSN while NBC decided to play the NHL All-Star game.

Tomorrow, NBC has an NFL Game. Not just any game but the AFC Divisional Playoff.

In a way, Ladies is still considered a “premier” event because it’s the only figure skating event at Nationals to be played on network television during primetime.

NBC has had NFL rights since 2006, and I don’t know what happened but Nationals used to be able to take place on a week where there was no playoff game but it seems it’s happening now or during the NHL All-Star game. Nationals network coverage seems subject to the whims of bigger sports. I remember when the Ladies LP for 2002 (an Olympic year and with Kwan!) had to be bumped to ABC Family after being originally planned for Saturday primetime on ABC because the football playoff schedule got delayed due to 9/11 and a game was now scheduled for the same night and ABC still played football during that time.

Last edited:

feraina

The last time the ladies were on prime time on NBC on Saturday was 2017. In 2018, the Men’s LP took the Sat. Primetime spot but not on NBC but NBCSN while NBC played a NFL wildcard playoff game.

In 2019, the free dance was on
prime time on NBCSN while NBC played the NHL All-Star game.

In 2020, the free dance and pairs played on Saturday prime time on NBCSN while NBC decided to play the NHL All-Star game.

Tomorrow, NBC has an NFL Game. Not just any game but the AFC Divisional Playoff.

In a way, Ladies is still considered a “premier” event because it’s the only figure skating event at Nationals to be played on network television during primetime.

NBC has had NFL rights since 2006, and I don’t know what happened but Nationals used to be able to take place on a week where there was no playoff game but it seems it’s happening now or during the NHL All-Star game. Nationals network coverage seems subject to the whims of bigger sports. I remember when the Ladies LP for 2002 (an Olympic year and with Kwan!) had to be bumped to ABC Family after being originally planned for Saturday primetime on ABC because the football playoff schedule got delayed due to 9/11 and a game was now scheduled for the same night and ABC still played football during that time.
Thanks for explaining. I was thinking who cares if FS conflicts with NFL since they probably attract totally different viewers. But if they’re on the same network then I can see why Friday evening is the next best option for ladies.

Also skating didn’t used to be on NBC so it wasn’t as big a scheduling issue when it came to NFL. Also Nationals are now earlier in the year than it used to be so the conflict probably got worse.

Overall I’m still happy we have nationals earlier in the year like Russia and Japan. It doesn’t feel as rushed to then have 4CC and then worlds. This year is moot but I’d love it if USFSA starts to use 4cc as a run-off event for trickier cases for worlds team selection. I’d also love to see 4CC taken more seriously by the skaters and everyone else.

Last edited:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
The NFL playoffs have more games early on, four. When Nationals was later in the month they only had to deal with two playoff games, the conference championship that determined who goes to the SB. Those championship games are only on CBS and Fox currently. The earlier games get spread out over the football networks. Next year Nationals will likely be up against the wildcard games so I’m guessing ladies will be on Friday yet again.

tony

"Storming"
Welp, call it whatever word you want :rolleyes: but let me give an example. The contestants on Big Brother had to put a mask on the second they were sent out of the house, while the host remained 12 feet away and didn't wear a mask. There was serious outrage over this, but not many people took three seconds to think it out in the sense of them having to immediately go to the production area afterwards and be surrounded by a bunch of other people.

It would happen with skating too, trust me.

ETA- you may wanna check in on some Russian competition threads to see the amount of comments regarding mask wearing techniques and/or the lack of masks.

C

casken

Welp, call it whatever word you want :rolleyes:
I would call it that if they were actually storming the arena, demanding the competition be shut down, people died, etc...

You know, stuff to actually get outraged about.

tony

I would call it that if they were actually storming the arena, demanding the competition be shut down, people died, etc...

You know, stuff to actually get outraged about.
This is all kinds of hilarious considering your post just yesterday regarding the demanding about what can/cannot be talked about. How soon they forget.

Like I said, call it what you want. There's a meaning to it besides just storming into a building. People have been 'outraged' about the lack of mask wearing and even shared stories here of their drama over walking past someone without a mask in a store or on the street or whatever. So I guess you'd have to tell all of them they can't actually be outraged about the masks.

C

casken

This is all kinds of hilarious considering your post just yesterday regarding the demanding about what can/cannot be talked about. How soon they forget.

Like I said, call it what you want. There's a meaning to it besides just storming into a building. People have been 'outraged' about the lack of mask wearing and even shared stories here of their drama over walking past someone without a mask in a store or on the street or whatever. So I guess you'd have to tell all of them they can't actually be outraged about the masks.
Nowhere did I order you to say or not say anything.

tony

No where did I order you to say or not say anything.
Like I said twice previously-- call it what you want. And instead of replying to me with your suggested word, you tried to keep it going and give me a lesson on when it should be used because you get to decide such. You also decided what everyone should be outraged about.

Oh wow, you really owned me.

C

casken

Like I said twice previously-- call it what you want. And instead of replying to me with your suggested word, you tried to keep it going and give me a lesson on when it should be used because you get to decide such. You also decided what everyone should be outraged about.

Oh wow, you really owned me.
My suggested word? You would say that was me ordering to tell you to say something, whatever it is.

And I don't view this a competition. I don't view you as an adversary. I don't get any enjoyment out of this.

tony

My suggested word? You would say that was me ordering to tell you to say something, whatever it is.

And I don't view this a competition. I don't view you as an adversary. I don't get any enjoyment out of this.
Then thank you for your contribution of going out of your way to quote one word and then clarifying what people should instead be outraged about. Have a great day! Hope you enjoyed the skating.

olympic

Regarding the exchange above re NFL playoffs - The men's free in my area is being pre-empted on Sunday for the play-offs :(

I will follow-up but would they shift the men's free to NBCSN or am I SOL? I notice there is a silly motor-bike comp at that time on NBCSN. IDK if NBC switches programming. Where can I watch it?

tony

Regarding the exchange above re NFL playoffs - The men's free in my area is being pre-empted on Sunday for the play-offs :(

I will follow-up but would they shift the men's free to NBCSN or am I SOL? I notice there is a silly motor-bike comp at that time on NBCSN. IDK if NBC switches programming. Where can I watch it?
Get a free trial to Peacock

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information